Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Name Rick Tocchet as Head Coach

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Chayka emphasized communication when he outlined what they were looking for in a coach, and he reiterated it talking about Tocchet. I imagine that's a big part of why they hired him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, let's hope Tocchet picks some good assistants. We need a good defense coach for sure and probably someone to be in the pipeline to replace Elkin once Calgary needs him to be Smitty's goalie whisperer.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Now for him to do work on Duclair like he did Kessel

Hoping he can get the forwards working like they did in Pittsburgh. Team speed, north -south attack, with quick puck movement from the D. The Pens are FUN to watch and they WIN. Here is hoping Tocchet can bring some of that to the desert.

From an article on the Pens style of hockey:

For the Penguins, "energy" and "hard to play against" meant quick skating, a stubborn refusal to relinquish control of the puck, and a number of contributions on the scoresheet. They didn't "set a tone" by hitting and fighting. They did so by cycling the puck for long shifts from the very start and putting a tired opposition on its heels.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On the topic of assistant coaches, I wonder if they just move John Slaney behind the bench rather than using him as the "eye in the sky" coach or whatever it is that he does. Slaney is an ex-teammate of Tocchet's.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Gambo reports that Tocchet's deal is 4 years, just over $6M. So a definite discount over You Know Who.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think the beginning of the season will be a little rough. Guys learning a new system will take a little time. I think around mid season we will see a definite improvement though IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad