Pre-Game Talk: Coyotes @ Maple Leafs

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
The last few games have been very disappointing. If we lose this one then they are going to put us on suicide watch.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
My memory tells me that we usually beat these guys pretty good, whether it be at the Job or ACC. Let's hope this trend continues.

However, this Leafs team isn't the same Leafs team from past years...

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
Why are we not playing Brule? Is their a reason other than he needs more practice time which doesn't make any sense when they are called up they are usually ready to go.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Has to be but if they are missing Z and Morris, then it will be another cog in the losing wheel. Man, what a bad stretch of games this month. Its going to take a magical run just to get back into it.

A bit of a stretch, no? We're 4 pts from 8th and 5 pts from 6th with 3 games in hand on both. We win 2 of the next 3 and we're back in the mix. These have been frustrating losses for sure, but as long as the point % stays Top 8, we should be fine.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
A bit of a stretch, no? We're 4 pts from 8th and 5 pts from 6th with 3 games in hand on both. We win 2 of the next 3 and we're back in the mix. These have been frustrating losses for sure, but as long as the point % stays Top 8, we should be fine.

Possibly, but since the SO in Chicago, the record is 5-6-3. With the injuries piling up, its hard to be optimistic. But your right, there will be a ton of home games coming up.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Possibly, but since the SO in Chicago, the record is 5-6-3. With the injuries piling up, its hard to be optimistic. But your right, there will be a ton of home games coming up.

Yes We have injuries. But all teams have to deal with injuries. Do I have all the answers? No. But We can't just rollover. May have to juggle a few lineups. Hey Call up a few players from Portland? See what you have. What have you got to lose?
Like Your winning now? I accept trade market is tough at best right now.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
It's an 82 game nhl season, every team battles injuries and that's no excuse. I'd partially blame GMDM for not being more proactive in the summer to avoid our thin offense. We're down 2 forwards and it seems like chaos. I can appreciate the market for trades being non-existant now because of the cap, but this could have (and should have IMO) been avoided by a trade before the season began.

I know some people say Smith has been "fine" the last 2 games, but we still lost both because the other teams goaltender played better than ours.

#freeGreiss

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
My memory tells me that we usually beat these guys pretty good, whether it be at the Job or ACC. Let's hope this trend continues.

However, this Leafs team isn't the same Leafs team from past years...

My good friend is a leafs fan so I keep track. We have beat the leafs each of our last 6 matches. Keep the streak alive, let's go for 7!

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
It's an 82 game nhl season, every team battles injuries and that's no excuse. I'd partially blame GMDM for not being more proactive in the summer to avoid our thin offense. We're down 2 forwards and it seems like chaos. I can appreciate the market for trades being non-existant now because of the cap, but this could have (and should have IMO) been avoided by a trade before the season began.

I know some people say Smith has been "fine" the last 2 games, but we still lost both because the other teams goaltender played better than ours.

#freeGreiss

I don't partially blame. I fully blame. That's GMDM job to look ahead and see these things. That's where You see a Great GM. From an Average or Poor GM. Everyone saw this coming right after the WCF. And don't say you didn't.

Smitty has been over worked He has been worn down. So Yes he has had some bad games But there were games He saw more rubber than a tire factory. And won those games.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Greiss, but Smith has been our best player the last two games.

We lost the last two games because we had a combined 2 goals for.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I like Greiss, but Smith has been our best player the last two games.

We lost the last two games because we had a combined 2 goals for.

Smitty is a work horse. But everyone get worn out. Tippett has over played him. Greiss should have been play more. Smitty has more than proven himself.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Smith has made some big saves the past few games. Looks like he's coming into form. I'd give Greiss the Buffalo game. That then gives Smith six days off between starts.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Our relatively good start compared to other Tippet coached Coyotes teams is what is saving our bacon right now.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Our relatively good start compared to other Tippet coached Coyotes teams is what is saving our bacon right now.

We lost our how many the last games we played. How our scoring? Our Blue Line?

Tip Your doing a hell of a job.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We lost our how many the last games we played. How our scoring? Our Blue Line?

Tip Your doing a hell of a job.

I have no idea what you are talking about. So I'll just quote myself:

On the side of glimmers of hope...That wasn't a meaningless run that was the start the the team getting on track. The short season cut it off. The same exact thing the team has always done under Tippet. Team is mediocre in the first month, heats up a bit, then it starts to look really bad.

But then in Feb/March the team explodes. We saw the beginning of that last season and it was cut off by a 48 game schedule.

The Coyotes combined record in February and March in non-shortened seasons is 48-21-8 since Tippet. That's fantastic, and what we missed out on last year.

Another pattern, save for 2009-2010 the first month of the season has been mediocre. Then the second month quite good. Then everyone panics around December cause the team starts taking a dump.

Month 1 Record over the last 3 years: 10-11-6

Month 2 record over the last 3 years: 23-11-5

Month 3 record over the last 3 years: 17-22-6

This is literally the Dave Tippet team MO.

My point was our month 1 record this season was fantastic in comparison to what we are used to at 9-4-1. That's why we are still close.

Month 3 record is right on track to be terrible as usual at 3-3-1. So I'll quote myself again:
Then everyone panics around December cause the team starts taking a dump.

There are two things in play this season which make it different. Our hot start and the insane west vs east record causing all these bloated points percentages. If the Yotes stay on track and have their hot February/March and the east/west stuff normalizes a bit the team is gonna be fine. If the seemingly unsustainable pace of some of these other western teams continues then we got shafted by a crazy outlier season, oh well.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I have no idea what you are talking about. So I'll just quote myself:

My point was our month 1 record this season was fantastic in comparison to what we are used to at 9-4-1. That's why we are still close.

Month 3 record is right on track to be terrible as usual at 3-3-1. So I'll quote myself again:

There are two things in play this season which make it different. Our hot start and the insane west vs east record causing all these bloated points percentages. If the Yotes stay on track and have their hot February/March and the east/west stuff normalizes a bit the team is gonna be fine. If the seemingly unsustainable pace of some of these other western teams continues then we got shafted by a crazy outlier season, oh well.

Look every thing You say points to a lot of Ifs. If We Win This Game. If We Do Well This Month? Hot Start Is Over. Where Are We? If the season end today We are out of the playoffs. Again!!! After going to WCF.
Sorry You don't understand Me.

At Present I don't see us returning to the Playoffs. Blame a player Blame a all the players. But You have to blame the Coach for a large part. Those let downs in the second and third periods. He is the one that has to take responsibility for them. If they lack direction. Its up to him to give it to them. I understand he is the best coach this team ever had. But consider what you had before.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Look every thing You say points to a lot of Ifs.

If you say so :snide:. Seems to me like your default assumption is that the Coyotes will not recover at all from this current tailspin. There's 4 years of history that says they will. Right now I have no reason to believe the pattern of playing lights out hockey in the second half is gonna stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad