Confirmed with Link: Coyotes loan Dylan Guenther to Team Canada for the 2023 WJC.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not before the selection was made. Not a single poster on this forum had him ranked in the top ten.
So, what you are saying is after the pick everyone jumped on the bandwagon?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So, what you are saying is after the pick everyone jumped on the bandwagon?
No. After the pick it came out that there were multiple other teams (Blackhawks and Canucks, maybe?) that were rumored to want him in the top ten. So trading down wasn’t an option. Everyone here was pissed we picked him 5th. There wasn’t anyone who was advocating for that selection prior to it being made. Nobody on this forum. He wasn’t in anyone’s top ten. He never came up here.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I remember Sam Cosentino saying there was a consensus #1 and #2 and those ranked 3-11 could arguably be picked in any order

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
People were basically saying "who's Hayton" after he was drafted. No one was celebrating it. I saw us trying to tell ourselves to trust management and be positive about it after the fact, but I don't recall one person going "yay! Hayton!"

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
No. After the pick it came out that there were multiple other teams (Blackhawks and Canucks, maybe?) that were rumored to want him in the top ten. So trading down wasn’t an option. Everyone here was pissed we picked him 5th. There wasn’t anyone who was advocating for that selection prior to it being made. Nobody on this forum. He wasn’t in anyone’s top ten. He never came up here.
I didn’t even know who he was haha

Reactions: Grimes

BAdvocate

Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Yep. Everyone was very, very pissed.
Most pissed because we didn't draft Zadina which I suspect those complaining the loudest now likely glad we didn't draft him. At least that's what I remember....that and you touting Q Hughes...

@rt. I remembered wrong....it was 2021.

My memory sucks nowadays so anything I'm "remembering" should be questioned

:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: Fyreman and Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Most pissed because we didn't draft Zadina which I suspect those complaining the loudest now likely glad we didn't draft him. At least that's what I remember....that and you touting Q Hughes...

@rt. I remembered wrong....it was 2021.

My memory sucks nowadays so anything I'm "remembering" should be questioned

:popcorn:
I loved Hughes. I think by draft day I had chickened out and called him “tied” with Zadina. I’m afraid if I was actually calling the shots, I’d have looked at the OEL extension and decided Zadina was a smarter pick than Hughes, even if I really loved Hughes.

rt

May 13, 2004
I loved Hughes. I think by draft day I had chickened out and called him “tied” with Zadina. I’m afraid if I was actually calling the shots, I’d have looked at the OEL extension and decided Zadina was a smarter pick than Hughes, even if I really loved Hughes.
It was the same with Strome and Marner. I loved Marner but thought Strome was the smarter pick. I’m going with the heart not the head now.

Reactions: zerekstar

BAdvocate

Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
It was the same with Strome and Marner. I loved Marner but thought Strome was the smarter pick. I’m going with the heart not the head now.
If it's any consolation I was prepared to go with whatever your draft thoughts are up until the last 6 months or so as it appears the Blueberry Scouting Squad has already and will be uncovering some gems. So them first....and then you.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
People were basically saying "who's Hayton" after he was drafted. No one was celebrating it. I saw us trying to tell ourselves to trust management and be positive about it after the fact, but I don't recall one person going "yay! Hayton!"

You guys are right, but after we selected him many were saying that while five might be high, top ten for sure. Any who, doesn't really matter at this point as we are stuck with him.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Many on these boards had Hayton as a definite top ten.
I believe it was 3 because I made a post at one point where I said I thought I was the only one with him top 10, and 2 others chimed in stating they did as well. I had him at 9. When we took him I was happy because I like him, but the reality was 2 players I had in my top 5 were still available, and went 10 and 11. I had Dobson as the 2nd highest rated D, above Hughes, Bouchard, and Boqvist, with Boqvist outside my top 10, Hughes at 8, and Bouchard right behind Dobson at 5, I believe. I didn't keep my list so I'm working off memory.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
wahlstrom.jpg

Reactions: sundance74

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Reactions: GermanCoyotes96

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wanted Kotkaniemi.
Wahlstrom was high on my list until I saw him at the U18s acting like his shot was so good, he didn't need to worry about other parts of hockey.
After Kotkaniemi I wanted Dobson.

I was surprised by the Hayton pick but I was quickly ok with it. It's all about Cs and RD for me in the 1st.
Montreal and the Yote's made big mistakes. Montreal got rid of theirs.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

The clarity at which I remember this pick is astounding. I can re-live the whole thing in my head perfectly. After Kotkaneimi getting selected at 3 all of a sudden Tkachuk or better yet ZADINA could be available at five. Getting up from our seats when Tkachuk was selected, high-fiving and cheering because it just HAD to be Zadina at five. And then I think Button said the unthinkable as Chayka and management were walking up to stage, and silence until the words "From Soo-Sault Maire" came out of Chayka's mouth and my stomach plummeted. Thankfully you made some of the best smoked chicken wings I've had.

I had a hard time picking between Bouchard and Dobson for my favorite defenseman outside of Dahlin. Hughes didn't feel like a great fit for us because man we needed some size. I'd have been happy if we drafted Wahlstrom at five, not thrilled but happy. I think by the time the draft came around I was pretty happy thinking we would draft a great defensive prospect and would have been thrilled with any of Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard.

Imagine if we had any sort of lotto luck and got Dahlin or Svech that year.

Reactions: Jakey53 and rt

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Let's say nobody won lottos from 2017-2019
2017: Let's say nobody behind us won a lottery instead of THREE teams. Let's say we take Pettersson at 3 which would have felt like a very Chayka pick.
2018: Selecting at 3rd we probably would take Tkachuk, who iirc was Chayka and teams guy outside of Dahlin and Svech, with Hayton at 4.
2019: Well we know we weren't leaving without so I wont even give us the benefit of the doubt and take Caufield here. Eh screw it, we DONT trade our 2nd and take Caufield instead!

No need to trade for Kessel in this situation but the Hall trade still occurs and we manage to retain him because he sees a promising young roster.

I present the 2020-2021 amazing alternate universe Arizona Coyotes
Hall-Pettersson-Keller
Tkachuk-Dvo-Garland (CAN YOU IMAGINE?!)
Crouse-Brassard-Schmaltz
Bunting-Johan Larsson-Pitlick
(Fischer, Hunt, Hayden)

Chychrun-Goligoski
OEL-Demers
Oesterle-Lyubushkin
(Hjalmarsson, Cappo, Mayo)

Reactions: rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wanted Kotkaniemi.
Wahlstrom was high on my list until I saw him at the U18s acting like his shot was so good, he didn't need to worry about other parts of hockey.
After Kotkaniemi I wanted Dobson.

I was surprised by the Hayton pick but I was quickly ok with it. It's all about Cs and RD for me in the 1st.
Why were you quickly ok with it? I think I wanted Bouchard with our pick. There we so many good D this draft. We pick a forward in a heavy D class, and then the next year we picked a D in a heavy forward draft. BA mentioned that Soderstrom is playing well, so we still have hope for him. On the other hand, hope for Hayton is fading.

GermanCoyotes96

Feb 21, 2022
Germany
Hayton was a surprise!

But who behind him has fulfilled the expectations? Nobody except Hughes. Zadina is just such a flop and we would tear him apart too. Wahlstrom is ok. Dobson and Bouchard would have been great too, but didn't make sense at the time.

Hayton got messed up by sitting in the stands too early in the NHL. he should have played the two years OHL and then the year AHL.

Reactions: sundance74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad