Confirmed with Link: Coyotes loan Dylan Guenther to Team Canada for the 2023 WJC.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't like it. Puts team USA at a disadvantage. :rolleyes:
I can’t cheer for USA, anyhow. Scummy leadership. All politics. Gross. This year has not been egregious. Hopefully a step in the right direction. Maybe I’ll finally support them again. Slovakia is still my primary rooting interest.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I'm indifferent if it really helps with his development, but if they let Dylan decide if that is what he wants, then I'm totally on board.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
In honor of your comment, let’s relive this beauty.

I was going to say something similar, Hayton was pretty ridiculous (in a good way).

But also... this has a "what could have been?" line if we'd drafted Wright instead of Cooley. Looking fwd to seeing how everyone goes

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Hopefully he tears it up!
Of course, Hayton tore it up in 2020, but we are all witnessing his steady decline after peaking as a 20 year old...Not worried about Dylan though, he actually has skill.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hopefully he tears it up!
Of course, Hayton tore it up in 2020, but we are all witnessing his steady decline after peaking as a 20 year old...Not worried about Dylan though, he actually has skill.

Not dissimilar to John Chayka who peaked as a mid to late 20-something NHL exec? Ha.

In all fairness though I think Hayton's doing all he can. Not his fault Chayka drafted him #5 that year when everyone else had him going MUCH later in the draft (and I'm fairly certain I'm lower on Hayton than most Yotes fans at least the ones who post on these boards)

Reactions: ck26

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not dissimilar to John Chayka who peaked as a mid to late 20-something NHL exec? Ha.

In all fairness though I think Hayton's doing all he can. Not his fault Chayka drafted him #5 that year when everyone else had him going MUCH later in the draft

Everyone involved in drafting him and fumbling his development is gone, so he's just a 22yo RFA that costs $1.75m. He isn't necessary for the rebuild. If Hayton isn't anything by the end of his current contract, it's on him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

In all fairness though I think Hayton's doing all he can. Not his fault Chayka drafted him #5 that year when everyone else had him going MUCH later in the draft (and I'm fairly certain I'm lower on Hayton than most Yotes fans at least the ones who post on these boards)
Many on these boards had Hayton as a definite top ten.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because he is our only center...
Bring someone up from Tucson, or put Schmaltz at C, or even Fischer. This kid has to sit and watch a few from the press box. I think the Coyotes wants him to play out of this year long funk, but that has not worked. If anyone told me that LOB would have more points than Hayton, I would have bet them and gave them odds.
I thought the Canucks wanted him at 7
On these boards. I have no idea what teams had who where.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Bring someone up from Tucson, or put Schmaltz at C, or even Fischer. This kid has to sit and watch a few from the press box. I think the Coyotes wants him to play out of this year long funk, but that has not worked. If anyone told me that LOB would have more points than Hayton, I would have bet them and gave them odds.
Should have said "true" center and to your response, leave the Roadrunners in Tucson. We need to make the playoffs is as important as the Coyotes need to tank.
Trades will start happening soon and it wouldn't surprise me if Hayton is included (not expecting it, but he could be included if we get back a center like Pinto).

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Many on these boards had Hayton as a definite top ten.

Yeah but the scouts did not. The following from wikipedia:

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.38.56 AM.png

Who was actually drafted:

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.39.41 AM.png

I mean, hindsight is 20/20 but that's quite a few good defensemen that were rated above Hayton and picked right after. But, there's also Zadina.

I just feel like if you draft off board, you best be right, especially with such a high pick. We did the same thing when we traded up for Soderstrom rather than Caufield (when we also badly needed scoring just like we do now). Using a lower pick to draft, say Aatu Raty or Lamoureux is different because you're not using a blue-chip pick.

Anyway Chayka is gone, and also we messed up Hayton's development -- if we'd treated him like a normal prospect instead rushing him to the NHL as our future savior maybe he'd be a middle-6 / 60 point guy by now. Who really knows.

All that to say... *shrug*. Hope the kid puts it together whether here or elsewhere. Much more interested in seeing how Guenther progresses / develops and whether he can eventually become an elite scoring winger

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I had Hayton at 11 on my list. He needs to do more offensively than what we've seen. The criticism is deserved at this point and yes we can blame the organization let him down in his development but at this point in time he's had opportunity and he has to take a step forward sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Grimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad