Friedman: Coyotes interested in Hanifin

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's the fans that are obsessing over the arena, not the players. They already have their seats. The players care more about the quality of ice, the locker rooms, and management/coaching staff than the seating capacity.
Quality of ice, and locker room are a big part of new arenas though right?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

LeBrun claims the Hanifin extension with CGY would have been for 'close' to 60 M before it fizzled out due to Flames struggling.

So probably 8 years @ 7 M per year range.

H. Lindholm got $6.5 mill for the max term. Severson got like $6.25 mill. Figure $7 mill is right around the range that Hanifin is looking for. Supposedly, Dallas offered that to Klingberg and he said no. Krug, Faulk, Parayko all at $6.5 mill and they signed like 2-3 years ago.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

LeBrun claims the Hanifin extension with CGY would have been for 'close' to 60 M before it fizzled out due to Flames struggling.

So probably 8 years @ 7 M per year range.

Close to 60M would be closer to 7.5M per for 8yrs, which matches the previous rumors that were floating around.

Regardless, hard to say who's the bigger clown here, the Flames for offering that in the first place or Hanifin for turning it down.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Teams will overpay for Hanifin even as a rental. Look what other rental defensemen get towards the deadline. Last year in a highly touted draft, McCabe got a 1st and a 2nd, and Orlov returned a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The year before Hampus Lindholm returned a 1st, two 2nds and a B prospect, Chiarot returned a 1st, 4th and B Prospect. The year prior to that, Savard returned a 1st and 3rd.

Hanifin is easily going to be in that Orlov/Lindholm range.
They may, if he doesn’t play the game Debrincat did. McCabe was signed and Chicago retained, and Lindholm got his money immediately. The Bruins we’re going for it last year with Orlov, and nobody still knows what Florida was doing.

So it’s possible, but many contenders have blown through too many picks recently to depend on it.

The team trading for him, is going to have every intention of signing him. They’ll get more for him if that’s the case anyway. You’ll have more teams bidding. You would also hope you get more than just a 1st for Hanifin. If that’s all they get, is a late 1st, Conroy blew it big time.

That’s why they need to trade him sooner, if they’re not signing him. More teams involved, is always a good thing. Get to the deadline, you’ll lose the teams with the prospects and picks you’d rather have. They’ll take their chances he makes it to the summer.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You are forgetting how many contracts they have and how many prospects they will need to get under contract. In short they have too many draft picks and prospects still needing to sign. 1 of the reasons they spent 1sts on 2 russians last draft is that they don't have to sign them in 2 years. They could easily afford both Hanifin and Zadorov and improve their blue line tremendously.

Pretty sure we all collectively let out a "What the f***" when they passed on Michkov only to draft two other Russians in the Top 12.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Pretty sure we all collectively let out a "What the f***" when they passed on Michkov only to draft two other Russians in the Top 12.
Not necessarily Michkov, but yes to the other 2. At least us in forum 40. The Coyotes have great scouts in Europe and rated But very high. I've even speculated that the 'Yotes had But rated higher than Simashev but didn't think Simashev would be there @12 and But wasn't heavily scouted. If you go to capfriendly and click on the 'Yotes "reserve" list, you will find a # of Russians listed. That's one of the reasons I think the 'Yotes are after Zadorov.

Reactions: Summer Rose

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not necessarily Michkov, but yes to the other 2. At least us in forum 40. The Coyotes have great scouts in Europe and rated But very high. I've even speculated that the 'Yotes had But rated higher than Simashev but didn't think Simashev would be there @12 and But wasn't heavily scouted. If you go to capfriendly and click on the 'Yotes "reserve" list, you will find a # of Russians listed. That's one of the reasons I think the 'Yotes are after Zadorov.

Yeah, I'm not really criticizing the Simashev or But picks. They're not bad prospects. Just the entire mindset behind their first round is contradictory.

The only reason you don't pick Michkov outside the Top 5 is because of the Russian factor. If you're worried about that, it's understandable... But to then pass on him for a Russian and pick another Russian six picks later is mind-numbing.

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not really criticizing the Simashev or But picks. They're not bad prospects. Just the entire mindset behind their first round is contradictory.

The only reason you don't pick Michkov outside the Top 5 is because of the Russian factor. If you're worried about that, it's understandable... But to then pass on him for a Russian and pick another Russian six picks later is mind-numbing.
Stand Michkov (5'10), GM Armstrong (6'5), Shimashev ((6'5), and But (6'7) next to each other and play "which one is not like the others".
Michkov made it known he did not want certain teams to draft him during interviews.
Shimashev learned English in anticipation of coming over to play in the NHL.
I think the coyotes draft team had a lot more confidence in Shimashev and But coming to the NHL in a few years than Michkov.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Stand Michkov (5'10), GM Armstrong (6'5), Shimashev ((6'5), and But (6'7) next to each other and play "which one is not like the others".
Michkov made it known he did not want certain teams to draft him during interviews.
Shimashev learned English in anticipation of coming over to play in the NHL.
I think the coyotes draft team had a lot more confidence in Shimashev and But coming to the NHL in a few years than Michkov.

Michkov making it obvious he didn't want to play for Arizona is the only sense I can make of it.

I get size, but I don't think you pass on that kind of talent for size. I can see passing on him for any of Carlsson/Fantilli/Smith, but after that tier, he was way above the others talent wise.

For example, I didn't think Detroit would pick ASP due to his size and their history of picking monstrous defensemen (Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, etc.) but at #17, the talent level is undeniable.

Reactions: Astyanax and Napoli

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Mitchkov left the impression w AZ management that he did not want to be selected by AZ period.

Reactions: Blueston

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Nah, our centers are fine. If you've seen any of our games this year (and I don't expect many ppl have, which is completely understandable), Hayton's carved out a weird role in that 1C spot. Basically Hayton's doing his best John Leclair / Hornqvist / Anders Lee impression and just takes abuse at the front of the net while Keller / Schmaltz do their best Sedin twins impression and keep making drop passes to random places on the ice where somehow they know the other person will be. And when one of them ends up shooting, Hayton's in a position to give the other team's goalie a pretty decent screen. It's a weird line and incredibly strange to watch, but it's been working for most of the time it's been together.

And obviously long term Cooley should be able to play top 6 hopefully sooner rather than later. And we have plenty of good wingers / winger prospects, our forwards are fine.

The only real weaknesses I see are that even with someone like Hanifin, Yotes are probably still slightly weak on top end D (depending what you think about Durzi, Valimaki) and also in goal -- but we drafted Hrabal this past draft who was, at worst, one of the top 3 goalie prospects, hopefully he ends up being good. Bill Armstrong's done a good job of building a balanced roster, really curious to see whether we can compete in a few years
So basically Hayton is a center version of burrows

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
So basically Hayton is a center version of burrows
I think so...? Not that familiar w Burrows honestly. My guess is Hayton has a lot less physicality though, and I think Burrows was good at creating turnovers, Hayton is only ok. But if your point is something like, "Burrows was there mostly to help the Sedins play their game" then yeah, same idea here.

Daily Faceoff actually ran an article about this a month ago (the Hayton / Keller / Schmaltz line I mean). Surprised that this has been noticed on a national level media org

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I am curious, what was offered if AZ did "go hard after" Hanifin? 3 2nds over the next 2 to 3 years? Most in forum 40 don't want to trade a 1st or any of the prospects (except Ds down in Tucson). That offer doesn't seem like it's going anywhere!

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am curious, what was offered if AZ did "go hard after" Hanifin? 3 2nds over the next 2 to 3 years? Most in forum 40 don't want to trade a 1st or any of the prospects (except Ds down in Tucson). That offer doesn't seem like it's going anywhere!
That isn’t going hard

Reactions: Schemp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad