Friedman: Coyotes interested in Hanifin

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Interesting... I don't know nearly enough about their roster and prospect pool. Anyone care to speculate what a fair price would be?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The Calgary guys ain’t going anywhere until closer to the deadline. I’m just having a hard time seeing what the direction is. You have Weegar/Huby/Kadri signed long term, you’re not winning anything with the group you have now. You have the team avoiding extension talks with everyone… it’s a mess

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The Calgary guys ain’t going anywhere until closer to the deadline. I’m just having a hard time seeing what the direction is. You have Weegar/Huby/Kadri signed long term, you’re not winning anything with the group you have now. You have the team avoiding extension talks with everyone… it’s a mess
now-we-rebuild-rebuild.gif

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting... I don't know nearly enough about their roster and prospect pool. Anyone care to speculate what a fair price would be?
AZ, no arena deal is imminent. So not as if shovels will be hitting the ground in 2024. Not sure most vets who have a lot of options would want to sign there so if he opts to not put AZ on his mntc I don’t see him signing.
This is likely a rental for them. But I’d suspect Calgary is probably looking for a trade partner that he’d do a contract with to increase the return.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Makes a lot of sense for AZ, Hanifin's an established blueliner who can sort of calm things down back there (what we hoped Dumba would do this year), he's still only 26 so 100% fits our rebuild timeline, he's wouldn't be a rental, we only trade for him if we know he'll re-sign long term.

But, absolutely no idea what Calgary is looking for right now. Are they looking to compete now? Are they looking to punt this core and start a rebuild? If so what do they do with the Huberdeau / Kadri / Weegar long term deals esp given all of their ages? Who knows.

My guess is probably AZ and CGY don't make the best dance partners -- but it makes a lot of sense for the Yotes to at least kick tires on Hanifin. Can't blame a team for trying

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Why the hell are the Yotes buying??

Because Hanifin is 26 years old and we have only one high-end blue chip D prospect (Simashev). None of our other D prospects project even close to top pair, except for maybe Lamoureux who's a Chara sized monster but looks like he's taking an equal amount of time to develop if he even gets there.

If Yotes trade for Hanifin it's so we can keep him in our top four long term. Wouldn't be a rental. If it costs a couple of 2nds to get him (which imo is a reasonable price), that makes a lot of sense for us. All this assumes he's open to sign here long term (no idea whether he is). Still not sure what CGY wants or needs tho

Reactions: Nowotny

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Makes a lot of sense for AZ, Hanifin's an established blueliner who can sort of calm things down back there (what we hoped Dumba would do this year), he's still only 26 so 100% fits our rebuild timeline, he's wouldn't be a rental, we only trade for him if we know he'll re-sign long term.

But, absolutely no idea what Calgary is looking for right now. Are they looking to compete now? Are they looking to punt this core and start a rebuild? If so what do they do with the Huberdeau / Kadri / Weegar long term deals esp given all of their ages? Who knows.

My guess is probably AZ and CGY don't make the best dance partners -- but it makes a lot of sense for the Yotes to at least kick tires on Hanifin. Can't blame a team for trying
It's rebuild o'clock in Calgary

So young roster players and picks. Guessing the Flames would want something like Soderstrom + 1st. Coyotes are probably offering something like Dermott + some mid round picks. And yeah who knows if Hanifin would be willing to re-sign longterm with the Coyotes either.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I think they rebuild. While you do have a few names signed long term this team is spinning it wheels going nowhere IMO. Most of these players are all reasonable contracts that will garner decent compensation. Flames need to beat EDM to the bottoming as I think McDavid will be gone in a few years. Oilers will tank hard so beat them to the punch and be the team that is a force in 3-4 years.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Why the hell are the Yotes buying??
And if they are... Does a highly attractive pending UFA make sense?

Just seems like a tough sell to get Hanifin to re-sign to a team playing out of a college arena, especially one he has no history/loyalty to.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
It's rebuild o'clock in Calgary

So young roster players and picks. Guessing the Flames would want something like Soderstrom + 1st. Coyotes are probably offering something like Dermott + some mid round picks. And yeah who knows if Hanifin would be willing to re-sign longterm with the Coyotes either.

I saw what you posted about cap floor but those long term deals to Huby and Kadri (who are both 30+) don't make a rebuild easy. If that's where you want to go, though... I mean who am I to stop you. And we or someone else would definitely take Hanifin off your hands.

In terms of return, Soderstrom + a first is too much because we only have one 1st and we're expecting to pick somewhere in the middle of the round. Soderstrom + a 2nd would be totally fine, Soderstrom and 2 2nds seems high to me but I'd personally do it IF we can get Hanifin to sign long term for something reasonable. Soderstrom isn't great though my guess is you'd want someone better like Moser and that's where things would get tricky.

Anyway if the cost ends up being close to Soderstrom and a 2nd that would be pretty cool. Would still be surprised if Calgary enters a rebuild, from the outside I feel like you guys are a lot like Vancouver / Winnipeg where you can legitimately argue you still have the core of a team that could potentially be very good (esp on defense and potentially in goal if one of Markstrom / Wolf starts dominating). I guess we'll see what happens here

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It cost at least a 1st and a 2nd to dump a contract like that, the Coyotes are willing to listen but cap is tight around the league so be prepared to pay!

Wait.....

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Calgary is definitely asking for the 1st. He is the best rental D on the market. I think that would be the whole point of the conversation happening now. Vancouver moved Horvat pretty early because a team like Islanders put that pick on the table.

Not arguing that the Coyotes should pay that price.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I saw what you posted about cap floor but those long term deals to Huby and Kadri (who are both 30+) don't make a rebuild easy. If that's where you want to go, though... I mean who am I to stop you. And we or someone else would definitely take Hanifin off your hands.

In terms of return, Soderstrom + a first is too much because we only have one 1st and we're expecting to pick somewhere in the middle of the round. Soderstrom + a 2nd would be totally fine, Soderstrom and 2 2nds seems high to me but I'd personally do it IF we can get Hanifin to sign long term for something reasonable. Soderstrom isn't great though my guess is you'd want someone better like Moser and that's where things would get tricky.

Anyway if the cost ends up being close to Soderstrom and a 2nd that would be pretty cool. Would still be surprised if Calgary enters a rebuild, from the outside I feel like you guys are a lot like Vancouver / Winnipeg where you can legitimately argue you still have the core of a team that could potentially be very good (esp on defense and potentially in goal if one of Markstrom / Wolf starts dominating). I guess we'll see what happens here
Yeah I don't Armstrong willing to pay the price the Flames would want so hard to a see a deal between these two teams. If Conroy doesn't get at least first or a really good prospect in return he'll be crucified by the fanbase.

The Flames' owners mouth piece in Eric Francis basically declared they're rebuilding. They'll call it a retool in an attempt to keep casual fans interested but it won't really change anything. They will though look for players that they think would work well with Huberdeau though.

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Yeah I don't Armstrong willing to pay the price the Flames would want so hard to a see a deal between these two teams. If Conroy doesn't get at least first or a really good prospect in return he'll be crucified by the fanbase.

The Flames' owners mouth piece in Eric Francis basically declared they're rebuilding. They'll call it a retool in an attempt to keep casual fans interested but it won't really change anything. They will though look for players that they think would work well with Huberdeau though.

Do you mind me asking what the general reaction was to the Matty Tk trade at the time it happened? From over here I was absolutely amazed you were able to get that much (given how that went down)

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Do you mind me asking what the general reaction was to the Matty Tk trade at the time it happened? From over here I was absolutely amazed you were able to get that much (given how that went down)
For the trade itself, surprise for that very reason. Felt like at the time the Flames were getting a Gaudreau replacement plus a top-four defenseman and a 1st.

But that being said, it was also very obvious, to me at least, that kicking off the rebuild was the right move. They were sitting on a pile of incredible assets that if handled right, would have turned things around in a hurry. Huberdeau coming off a 115 point season with 1 year left 6M. Lindholm, 2 years left at 4.85M. Hanifin, 2 years left at 4.95M. Tanev, 2 years left 4.5M. Retain 50% on 3 of those guys and the Flames could have been swimming in picks and prospects. And of course, it was the Bedard year; no better year to tank.

But of course, the Flames owner took Gaudreau and Tkachuk's departures personally and decided doubling down on a mercenary team was the way to go. So it goes.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if arizona think they can extend him hanifin would be a great pickup for them. they'd be a top 2c away from having just about everything you need to be a competitor in this league

Reactions: HabsQC and Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad