Friedman: Coyotes interested in Hanifin

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
And if they are... Does a highly attractive pending UFA make sense?

Just seems like a tough sell to get Hanifin to re-sign to a team playing out of a college arena, especially one he has no history/loyalty to.
Excellently!! But maybe if they overpay enough?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Should they do like Oilers and just stay in a perpetual rebuild? They have a chance to add a good defenseman and they still will have a good prospect pool and picks to keep adding to it.

That looks like a good trade for the yotes and flames. Do the yotes still add a prospect to that?
Calling out the Oilers is fair. But in what world is the Oilers rebuild more perpetual than the yokes??? They still suck and playing in a place where I would expect to see off Broadway dinner theater is not the answer. Let the nightmare end Gary!!!!!!

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Nah, you're exactly right.

We traded Chychrun because Chychrun told us he wanted to contend for a cup (rather, the GM approached him and was like, "I know you want to compete, would you rather be somewhere else or stay here through a rebuild?" and after thinking about it / talking to his family Chych was like, 'yeah i'm ok if you trade me'). It wasn't because we were so deep with borderline top pair D / D prospects that we could easily afford to let him go.

Trading Chychrun back then means we now have an even bigger hole on D in terms of pipeline. Right now our top pair is Moser and Durzi, both those guys can play but that's objectively the worst top pair in the league or at least very close to it. Simashev is our only elite D prospect, though if we're lucky maybe Lamoureux gets there too.

Personally I think this roster could use at least 1-2 more legitimate top 4 players in the long term to go along with Simashev (when he gets here), ideally players with eventual top pair upside. Hanifin would hypothetically be one of those players given his age, experience, and quality so imo makes a lot of sense to target (at least from our perspective)
I agree you could use a hanifin, but what team is so good, that they don't. What do any of us give up for a pending ufa. And why would he resign in arz?
Secondly, I find it funny that the Chychrun trade is referred to as "back then". Because myself and Mr. Peabody traveled in the way back machine and general Washington thought it to be a fair trade.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
While not a premiere choice (probably) why as bad as it gets? Young up and coming team with a boatload of assets and in need of a top pairing D seems like a good fit, no?
Yes, good for tge yotes, but why for hanifin?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Michkov making it obvious he didn't want to play for Arizona is the only sense I can make of it.

I get size, but I don't think you pass on that kind of talent for size. I can see passing on him for any of Carlsson/Fantilli/Smith, but after that tier, he was way above the others talent wise.

For example, I didn't think Detroit would pick ASP due to his size and their history of picking monstrous defensemen (Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, etc.) but at #17, the talent

Mitchkov left the impression w AZ management that he did not want to be selected by AZ period.
AZ management? You are being very generous.
Remember that article from a few years back.
I think it was Katty strange. Granted it's new management yet again, but still that festering boil exists. The article talked about sexual harassment and not paying employees or vendors.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think it was Katty strange. Granted it's new management yet again, but still that festering boil exists. The article talked about sexual harassment and not paying employees or vendors.
The hit piece? This is mostly because Chayka quit on the Coyotes in midseason and she was also involved with misinformation to kill TED!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
what does that have to do with a prospect meeting with a group of scouts and a GM? Or are you just too eager to try to dump on the Coyotes?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I agree you could use a hanifin, but what team is so good, that they don't. What do any of us give up for a pending ufa. And why would he resign in arz?
Secondly, I find it funny that the Chychrun trade is referred to as "back then". Because myself and Mr. Peabody traveled in the way back machine and general Washington thought it to be a fair trade.

Quite a few posts in a row, not sure you've added much if anything to the discussion.

1) To your question of "why would he re-sign in az", plenty of players like Arizona, plenty of players don't. Who knows why anyone does anything anyway (ie Gaudreau in Columbus).

As agreed upon previously in the thread, if Hanifin has no desire to sign here long term (which would be understandable), then we wouldn't trade for him, we certainly wouldn't give up significant assets. Which seems pretty clear given Yotes aren't realistically looking to compete this year

2) Whether Chychrun was traded last season or in the late 1700s, the loss of Chychrun left a hole in our defense, meaning we could use a long term defenseman like Hanifin. I was responding to a poster who was wondering why AZ would trade Chychrun only to acquire a player of a similar age who plays the same position (which is a reasonable question which I believe was asked in good faith)

3) Re: Michkov, plenty of sources reported that Michkov wanted to go to a hockey market among other things, which Arizona clearly is not. Had absolutely zero to do with Katie's Strang's article about ownership not paying their contractors on time. Btw her name is Katie Strang, not Katty Strange. 2-3 seconds on google is all you needed to take. Also, the article had absolutely nothing to do with sexual harrassment as you claimed in one of your posts

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Calling out the Oilers is fair. But in what world is the Oilers rebuild more perpetual than the yokes??? They still suck and playing in a place where I would expect to see off Broadway dinner theater is not the answer. Let the nightmare end Gary!!!!!!

Where did I state that Oilers rebuild were more perpetual than the yotes overall rebuild? Did someone from the yotes org do something to you or your family?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Where did I state that Oilers rebuild were more perpetual than the yotes overall rebuild? Did someone from the yotes org do something to you or your family?
Maybe you didn't. I apologize for implying more then was there.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If AZ ever got an arena figured out, they'd be a destination market with the weather and being able to go about their days without much fanfare. But a new arena is a ways out. 2 years to build and a year for zoning/city approvals when anything is announced if they ever figure it out.
Look for an announcement soon as they are in the process of buying land and is already zoned and will finance it themselves. And it would be the whole entertainment district, not just the arena.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
The Coyotes are not likely competitive until after Hanifin is 30, and outside the elite of the elite, players generally aren't still playing at "Top pairing defensemen" level at 37.

There is undoubtedly a trade market for Hanifin. You don't need to prop up a flimsy argument for Arizona as the fit to fantasize about a good return lol.
3 weeks later, this post didn't age well.
Currently sitting in 7th in the conference.

They have too many draft picks in the next 3 years (34 & a large reserve list - 31) to not let being able to sign draftees, because of the 50 contract limit, be an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad