Confirmed with Link: Coyotes hire Matt Perri and Lee Stempniak to Analytics Wing of Hockey Ops.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don’t blame Chayka for hiring him. He just won back to back cups as an assistant, is a legend, and gets glowing reviews leaguewide.

Just that we didn't let him go when we needed to last season.

And maybe this is a lesson for me that it might take just a little longer for progress to happen with some players in the system.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don’t blame Chayka for hiring him. He just won back to back cups as an assistant, is a legend, and gets glowing reviews leaguewide.
Not playing the blame game, but if Chayka was so smart ( legend in his own mind ), why did he not see through RT?
No reply necessary, just making a point.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tortorella is a "UFA" this summer. Interested?

He's currently making 1 mil more than Tocchet.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

I would be. I mean he scares away the players that don’t really want to be there but pretty much every other player that has played for him has liked him. If players don’t want to be here, he would do us a favor by exposing it early so that we can trade them under contract to get assets instead of waiting for them to bounce in UFA.

on top of that, he makes playoffs.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not playing the blame game, but if Chayka was so smart ( legend in his own mind ), why did he not see through RT?
No reply necessary, just making a point.

So, going back to the concept of the 5 year plan, maybe because we had a lot of younger players to work with, the teaching aspects one-on-one that Tocchet has could have been the reason.

As an example, the first 1-2 years was more about getting the young players taught about certain ways to play for longevity in the NHL. As players are receptive or not receptive, it opens the door for Tocchet to be removed or extended when the time is right.

Horrific start in 2017-18. Then, we technically overacheived in 2018-19 with all of the injuries. Hard to let go if someone when there appears to be an exponential increase in quality. Furthered by the fact that the 19-20 season started off so well.

Looking back, I think the addition of Hall made everyone (players and staff both) feel comfortable with where we were at. In reality, if teams weren't bringing their A games before the deal, teams certainly were after adding a top talent. We didn't bring our A game approach from there on out, and we floundered.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I would be. But based on the Jarmo interview on 31 Thoughts and the Jody Shelley interview on Spittin' Chiclets, I think the Torts gets a Columbus extension if he wants one, or he may decide to retire. I'm not sure an opportunity in Arizona is going excite him. Maybe if things go awry this season and he doesn't get an extension but feels like he doesn't want to go out like that? If so, then yes. I'd pick him up. I think he's mellowed with age and is still effective.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Looking back, I think the addition of Hall made everyone (players and staff both) feel comfortable with where we were at. In reality, if teams weren't bringing their A games before the deal, teams certainly were after adding a top talent. We didn't bring our A game approach from there on out, and we floundered.

OR - We bring in Hall, players are cool with that, but then bone headed idiot coach tells Hall "Don't worry about our system, we'll work to accommodate your play" and the rest of the team is thinking WTF? We and our system was working well and now this? The quote may not be exact, but I remember reading about the same.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
OR - We bring in Hall, players are cool with that, but then bone headed idiot coach tells Hall "Don't worry about our system, we'll work to accommodate your play" and the rest of the team is thinking WTF? We and our system was working well and now this? The quote may not be exact, but I remember reading about the same.

Those two situations run parallel to each other. Once a top F in the league gets added, everyone else gets complacent and the coaching staff tells Hall that they will work around him, because even if we start to do poorly, Hall will be our saving grace to get the goal when we need it.

Players become complacent, because now the pressure is off just a little bit with the shiny new toy in tow. Especially when Hall winds up scoring the GWG in his first game with the team. Suddenly, this buys into the expectation that this player can give the team that extra edge.

Our ability to step our game up by adding Hall was not as great as the ability of other teams to step their game up knowing that we added Hall.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Those two situations run parallel to each other. Once a top F in the league gets added, everyone else gets complacent and the coaching staff tells Hall that they will work around him, because even if we start to do poorly, Hall will be our saving grace to get the goal when we need it.

Players become complacent, because now the pressure is off just a little bit with the shiny new toy in tow. Especially when Hall winds up scoring the GWG in his first game with the team. Suddenly, this buys into the expectation that this player can give the team that extra edge.

Our ability to step our game up by adding Hall was not as great as the ability of other teams to step their game up knowing that we added Hall.

Agreed. Game winning assist though by the way. It’s too bad schmaltz was dogshit at center last year, hall-schmaltz-garland could’ve been a good line.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

None, I don't think he matches our roster at all. I think we would be trading Keller for pennies within 2 years if he was our coach. I doubt he'd get along with OEL...

BA is putting enough emphasis on being physical. We don't need someone screaming at the players.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Couldn’t disagree more. Players have too much pride to rely on any savior. I’ve lived it more than once, add a top gun and if you’re not careful things can go off the rails, but not because teammates are looking for another to carry their weight.

Reactions: SniperHF

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Couldn’t disagree more. Players have too much pride to rely on any savior. I’ve lived it more than once, add a top gun and if you’re not careful things can go off the rails, but not because teammates are looking for another to carry their weight.

Depends - remember that the nucleus of our team was players that were between the ages of 12-14 when Hall was drafted 1st OA.

If Hall were added to a team makeup like the '11-12 season, there was enough of a veteran presence and a staff that would not cow to the new addition.

Some of our older vets on defense would probably not have trouble with it. But others may not see it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad