Friedman: Coyotes gauging the market on Chychrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
~6:00 —> https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-marek-show/marek-friedman-goalie-market-roundup/

Marek and Friedman added Florida, Columbus and the Rangers to the list of teams in the mix, joining Anaheim, L.A., St. Louis, Boston, the Islanders and Calgary.

Marek spitball comp for the Burns deal he keeps talking about was Knight + Lundell + 1st.

:eek:
The Burns comp is a good one because it makes sense, but if that's what he thinks is a comp to the Burns deal, then he hasn't spent much time on it. Both of those pieces are worth more than Coyle or Seto.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If McTavish is off the table I do not see any reason why Kings should put Clarke for trade.
You should not bet against your own offer.
Well McTavish was a better player at the draft...If the Ducks didn't take him at #3 CBJ was going to take him.... and the gap has gotten bigger not smaller between the two.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Burns comp is a good one because it makes sense, but if that's what he thinks is a comp to the Burns deal, then he hasn't spent much time on it. Both of those pieces are worth more than Coyle or Seto.

That is over the top relative. However, I wonder if he's being fed Burns for the structure of the return, not the value received. That was a young NHL player (3 years of control), a recently drafted prospect (1-2 years closer than another 1st) and a 1st.

Burns had just that 1 year left on his deal before free agency. San Jose signed him to the extension in August. Chychrun has another 3 years left on his 2nd contract. That's what Dougie Hamilton had in the Summer of 2018. For that reason, I like that one better. The structure of that return was quite different, though: an NHL player coming off a bridge and another coming of his ELC. There wasn't as much control as a rebuilder may want.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Lol at Knight, Lundell and a 1st. No way he returns that.
I don't think Marek knows much about the Panthers at what Lundell is doing this season. He's literally pacing for 50 pts/82 games as a defensive forward. This is like prime Jordan Staal as a rookie.

I think Knight+1st would be center of a Florida offer with a lower ranking asset though

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Do a redraft and they would both be 1st rounders, where a player is drafted means nothing. I would gladly rather keep them and give up future 1sts with that logic. ‘22 1st, ‘23 1st, ‘24 1st instead?

Knies is our top forward prospect, Niemela is our top D prospect
Your top prospects =/= other teams value them at a first, especially when guys like Amirov and Sandin are usually ranked higher. I like Niemela a lot and wanted my team to grab him, but I wouldn't be so arrogant to call him a first round value.

I think you need to read a bit more and see what the Coyotes are looking for: they're looking for pieces to build upon, not late firsts...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't think Marek knows much about the Panthers at what Lundell is doing this season. He's literally pacing for 50 pts/82 games as a defensive forward. This is like prime Jordan Staal as a rookie.

I think Knight+1st would be center of a Florida offer with a lower ranking asset though
For the Coyotes Lundell would be the primary acquisition target, more so than a late 1st (which would be secondary piece of a trade) and a goalie (don't want/need right now). Knight + 1st does nothing for Arizona. That said, understand your reluctance to moving Lundell. Other teams may have assets better aligned with the Coyotes ask if Lundell is out.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
For the Coyotes Lundell would be the primary acquisition target, more so than a late 1st (which would be secondary piece of a trade) and a goalie (don't want/need right now). Knight + 1st does nothing for Arizona. That said, understand your reluctance to moving Lundell. Other teams may have assets better aligned with the Coyotes ask if Lundell is out.
Oh yeah, I don't think a trade's going to happen unless JC forces it. Value wise, Knight is a top 10 prospect in the world, but I completely understand the positional mismatch. The only way I can see it working is saying some other team wants Knight and something like:

Knight to Edmonton
Broberg+something from Edmonton to Arizona
Tippett+1st from Florida to Arizona
Chychrun to Florida

Lundell is more valuable to us than Chychrun unfortunately with his performance this season.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Columbus?

(asking generally, I know you are passing along info, not vouching for it)

Jarmo is one of the more aggressive GMs in the business. He traded for Jones, Panarin, Duchene and Laine. The Jackets were in the mix for Eichel for a bit, IIRC. At least kicking the tires is in character.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Trading Knight only makes sense if we still had a goalie prospect like Levi in the system. Would be nice if Florida could finally draft and develop a Goalie instead of overpaying for one in FA/trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's worth noting that Columbus has what's on track to be 2 Top 10 picks coming in July. Top 10 picks turn into the prospects that most fanbases on here passionately argue against including in a deal. That makes them a pretty intriguing match, if there's a will to be aggressive. Trading an unknown may be easier than trading a prospect you've fallen in love with.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Trading Knight only makes sense if we still had a goalie prospect like Levi in the system. Would be nice if Florida could finally draft and develop a Goalie instead of overpaying for one in FA/trade.
It sort of makes sense because it'll be tough to keep him and Bob when Knight needs a new deal if he's earned some sort of decent raise.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
It sort of makes sense because it'll be tough to keep him and Bob when Knight needs a new deal if he's earned some sort of decent raise.

Bob would be bought out when Knight's ELC is up 23-24 most likely. Depends on performance of both goalies during that time frame.

But hard to say if it's worth the risk that Bob continues to look like a good NHL goalie again beyond this season. If Bob starts to decline again, Florida is left overpaying for a goalie in FA or trade.

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
Well McTavish was a better player at the draft...If the Ducks didn't take him at #3 CBJ was going to take him.... and the gap has gotten bigger not smaller between the two.

Nah, CBJ was set on Johnson because of his elite playmaking

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No way in hell Florida would move Lundell. Unlike Byfield, Lundell is actually an NHL player right now.

I'd be shocked if they moved Knight too. He's struggled but he's still the future in net

Reactions: uncleben

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
IF Crouse were part of it AND IF Bill Armstrong can recoup additional value on both Scandella and Sundqvist AND IF the Armstrongs work with Scandella if Arizona is on his 7 team NTC so that he can approve the deal and they can get him onto a third team ...

Neighbors
Hofer
Perunovich
Scandella
Sundqvist
1st round 2022

for

Chychrun
Crouse

(you may swap Kostin or Bolduc in for any of the prospects if you prefer)
I wouldn’t trade Crouse for the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad