Confirmed with Link: Coyotes forfeit 2020 2nd round pick and a 2021 1st round pick for violating league’s combine testing

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Arizona Coyotes Statement

"We were advised today of the NHL's ruling regarding the allegations of physical fitness testing of draft prospects and respect the League's ruling. Under new leadership, we have added thorough internal controls and compliance measures to prevent this type of occurrence from happening again in the future. We will have no further comment."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Meruelo isn’t trying to sell this team right now. Couldn’t be much further away from what he signed up for.

He should feel like a stooge. The league sought him out, sold him on it, f***ed him over the first chance they got. The fact that Chayka quit and is gone should have been a major mitigating factor. This punishment just looks like the league using the Coyotes as a punching bag.

Take every 2020 pick but the 1st in 2021? get the f*** out of here.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Arizona Coyotes Statement

"We were advised today of the NHL's ruling regarding the allegations of physical fitness testing of draft prospects and respect the League's ruling. Under new leadership, we have added thorough internal controls and compliance measures to prevent this type of occurrence from happening again in the future. We will have no further comment."

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
At this point i'm perfectly ok with relocation. I want to have zero interest in this gong show.
Clean break. I could go back to watching Hawks and Devils as my W-E conf teams, and there's a brand new franchise in Seattle to follow.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I'm sorry for my ignorance here, but what exactly did the Coyotes even do to deserve losing two top picks? Violating a combine policy is so vague. Do we actually know what they did?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm sorry for my ignorance here, but what exactly did the Coyotes even do to deserve losing two top picks? Violating a combine policy is so vague. Do we actually know what they did?

No. We don't know. There have been no details given to local fans.

If you're wondering how a club violates a well known rule in such an obvious way, we're right there with you.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
It could have been a lot worse. Getting off without paying $250k/violation makes it not nearly as harsh as it could have been. Just be glad Bettman has a soft spot for the organization.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
This is rediculous. Fans deserve details. We need to know who broke the rule and if his bosses knew about it.

Regardless of how blatant the infraction was, this penalty is too harsh.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Serious Question: is Meruelo allowed to just fold the team and leave?

NHL BoG wouldn't allow the dissolution of a franchise under these circumstances only. There would have to be some serious financial issue and even then they wouldn't dissolve it, they would take it over on behalf of the League and then runit until they could transfer it or sell it. This is a very surprisingly, to me at least, harsh penalty and will no doubt impact the franchise for years to come. It does send a message to 31 other franchises, do not cheat, the consequences are severe. Too bad it had to be AZ to test that theory in advance. Chayka should have known it would not be a good outcome. Ah, the naivete of youth...

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah but we had him at 105th on our list.

Chayka would have insisted he had him top three in the draft.

On the other hand, it will probably be traded down, to get some kids out of it.

Seriously need some picks now...

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
That's SEVEN 1st round picks and THREE 2nd round picks for Phil Kessel and Nick Schmaltz.

That is John Chayka's legacy.

Schmaltz needs to be traded, if he has positive value despite his contract.

If someone offers something positive for Kessel, he so should be traded. I don't know if it is any point if he needs to be bundled to something.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
That's SEVEN 1st round picks and THREE 2nd round picks for Phil Kessel and Nick Schmaltz.

That is John Chayka's legacy.
That second pick he gave to Philly to move up a few spots for Soderstrom probably wasn't necessary either. I hope other teams see what he did.

Reactions: Surfshop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad