Confirmed with Link: Coyotes claim Adam Ruzicka [CGY] off waivers. (UPD: On waivers pending contract termination

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Any guess as to how many NHL players use recreational drugs? I'm going with 30%. A positive test remains confidential. Does that mean even team management is not notified?

A bit dated but Daly gave his estimate

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Here's another theory - the organization's decision to put Ruzicka on waivers pre-dated the coke vid.

Maybe that's what made him throw up the vid - nothing to lose.

It might have been a mutual parting of the ways.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Here's another theory - the organization's decision to put Ruzicka on waivers pre-dated the coke vid.

Maybe that's what made him throw up the vid - nothing to lose.

It might have been a mutual parting of the ways.

I can think of better ways to get out of a contract.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Any guess as to how many NHL players use recreational drugs? I'm going with 30%. A positive test remains confidential. Does that mean even team management is not notified?
26% of people aged 18-34(pretty common NHL age range) admit they smoke marijuana regularly. Men are a little more likely by about 5%. None of the smokers I know in that range also do cocaine. Overall I think there are a lot more smokers than coke-doers, but also mushrooms have become pretty popular, so...I think your 30% estimate is extremely close to correct if not exactly right.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
26% of people aged 18-34(pretty common NHL age range) admit they smoke marijuana regularly. Men are a little more likely by about 5%. None of the smokers I know in that range also do cocaine. Overall I think there are a lot more smokers than coke-doers, but also mushrooms have become pretty popular, so...I think your 30% estimate is extremely close to correct if not exactly right.
People with money who get tested tend to do coke more than weed as it leaves your system quicker. Any League dumb enough to care that their athletes wind down with weed should feel shame for pushing them in the direction of harder drugs.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
People with money who get tested tend to do coke more than weed as it leaves your system quicker. Any League dumb enough to care that their athletes wind down with weed should feel shame for pushing them in the direction of harder drugs.
Haha. I don't believe anybody will do coke as a substitute for weed. They're entirely different. The NHL doesn't push cocaine use.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Easiest solution to gathering data for cocaine use is by testing the sewage water for it.
Thats how you get the estimates for the population and know which cities are hotspots for cocaine use. And it is anonymous.
I think it would be an interesting study if you think about it. Comparing the amount of cocaine between professional sports across america? And looking at the different cities. That would be one hell of a data set.

Overall i am unfamiliar with cocaine. What i know is that some people with ADHD like me use it as selfmedication. Which makes sense, because we react different to it. Its the same reason why my medication is basically a amphetamine derivative.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Haha. I don't believe anybody will do coke as a substitute for weed. They're entirely different. The NHL doesn't push cocaine use.
Talk to some oil field workers in Canada, it's very common. I never said they push it, I said they push people towards it. Weed is legal, stop testing for it when you know the tests are useless.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
Why no assistance program? Does a player have to agree to that? Is that information even available?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Easiest solution to gathering data for cocaine use is by testing the sewage water for it.
Thats how you get the estimates for the population and know which cities are hotspots for cocaine use. And it is anonymous.
I think it would be an interesting study if you think about it. Comparing the amount of cocaine between professional sports across america? And looking at the different cities. That would be one hell of a data set.

Overall i am unfamiliar with cocaine. What i know is that some people with ADHD like me use it as selfmedication. Which makes sense, because we react different to it. Its the same reason why my medication is basically a amphetamine derivative.
They test and collect date on a huge battery of drugs across Australian cities.

methylamphetamine
amphetamine
cocaine
3,4-methylenedioxymethylamphetamine (MDMA)
3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA)
heroin
cannabis
oxycodone
fentanyl
nicotine
alcohol
ketamine

You can probably get the Australian data if you really want to run an analysis, but we basically have 6 major cities, and if you're looking at sports teams, you'd probably want the AFL since it's played everywhere, though half the teams are in and around Melbourne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad