GDT: Coyotes at Ducks 7pm PST HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
4th line was our best line AINEC. Thought Fowler had a rough start but seemed to have been lifted up after the goal

That 4th line produced the same way it did last year. Grant-Rowney proved the chemistry was there in pre-season, but Deslauriers wasn't on the same page like Shore would have been. Shore was being played center during pre-season, showing we have some depth at center. I'm so happy for them! I just hope we don't rely on them to carry the team offensively. The fourth line (most of the fourth line) were on the ice for both goals. That's the one line with chemistry b/c it's carrying over from last year. The Rakell-Steel-Silf line needs time to re-adjust b/c Lundestrom was their center recently. BTW, Rico had a good game.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
This isn't going to be a pretty season, lots of bumps in the road. As long as they try hard though it will be fun to watch.

Yep, but if I can get some snapshot moments of the kids' potential I'll be happy. I saw some in this game but maybe I'm being demanding and wanting more, hence the not inspired. Again, only 1 game; there's going to be way worse games but hopefully there's going to be better games. This was one of those "okay, we got the 2 points" games.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Would anyone else prefer Lundestrom at wing over Jones

I would not. Lundestrom needs to continue his progression at center, especially seeing how slow Getzlaf was to get into this game (took two periods to get his speed up). But is one game all you need to want to replace Jones when our top-9 were meh? We have other options if you don't want Jones at wing such as Comtois or push Shore up and that would push Deslauriers to the fourth line. Still, one game in and you're already replacing players? The only person I would think needs replacing is Getz, due to needing two periods to find his skating legs. Except, he had a mindful third period. I'll give Captain Anaheim a bit more leeway. He still is very good in the faceoff circle.

Let's give it about 10 games for things to settle, adjust, and find chemistry. Until then, let's just try to absorb the new era for the time being.

Reactions: Dmang714

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think if anything Henrique is the guy who needs to move to wing. The ducks need a left handed player with skill to play wing on one of the top two lines.

Ritchie is never going to be that guy

Henrique-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Grant-Kase
Jones-Rowney-shore

Kase’s ability to drive his own line allows you to still have 3 scoring lines. It’s definitely something that’s worth a shot at some point

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Winning the season opener is the game that most wanted Ducks to win because in our history we have a bad season opener record and want to improve it so having a home opener as the season opener to start the season and we get the win woot woot.

Ducks goals of the game

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Oct 18, 2011
I think if anything Henrique is the guy who needs to move to wing. The ducks need a left handed player with skill to play wing on one of the top two lines.

Ritchie is never going to be that guy

Henrique-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Grant-Kase
Jones-Rowney-shore

Kase’s ability to drive his own line allows you to still have 3 scoring lines. It’s definitely something that’s worth a shot at some point
Devils fans told us he's a better wing than C too.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Did Getzy got better as the game went on?

I remember some players mentioning they weren`t even practicing PP at all midway through the training camp. Could it be that they are just working on ''basics'' now and building the team as we go on the season? That would be actually pretty good.

Gibson has grown as a leader a lot. He reminds me of Getzlaf of how he presents himself. Would be no wonder that he looked at Getzy and learned and now he`s a leader and personality himself.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Had to go to my own hockey game 5 min into the 3rd period, but here are my own thoughts:

1. Jones definitely looked off...wasn't as relentless as usual and pucks weren't sticking to him. But that's one game, and I absolutely still want him to have a chance to prove himself...100% prefer him over Comtois, and although I love Lundestrom's game, don't want Lundy playing wing. Want him to continue developing w/ the Gulls for now.
  2. Terry and Steel had okay-ish games. Had their moments.
  3. Larsson seems to have no urgency to his play. He skates slow to loose pucks, and I don't think I saw one play where I said "wow he put some effort in there." That said, he played a mostly safe and reliable game from what I remember seeing, and I'll take that.
  4. What was it, 8 something minutes for Getzy over the first 2 periods? I'm just curious why. He did look a LOT off though. His passes were getting picked off, he wasn't skating hard, etc. But he's earned a large cushion in my estimation, and I'm going to guess he just needs to build up to game speed. (I still think he has 70 points/season in him, but he's going to need better wingers / better effort from his wingers...Ritchie looked sorta crappy to me, and Kase wasn't impressive at all)
  5. I think I would like to see what Del Zotto can do in place of Holzer. I think Holzer had a decent game, and some pretty good plays, but think DZ might have more to offer, whatever that means.
  6. That said, I also wouldn't mind giving Benoit a look.
  7. Grant is a beast.
  8. Definitely saw significantly more experimental plays than in the Carlyle era. Sometimes was sloppy, but I'll support player freedom any day.
  9. I want to see a Jones-Steel-Terry line.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Sad to se Lundy being so bad he didnt earn NHL minutes. They could have sent him down earlier if they knew that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Scrappy win over a mediocre team but you have to take it

My thoughts split into units:
- Getz looks like he’s either lost a step or his legs aren’t there yet. That said his anticipation and hockey IQ are still so high that he’s still going to be effective even when the wheels fall off. I thought he had a great third. Ritchie and Kase both sucked although Kase had a couple of spurts of looking good.

- second line did not impress me as a line. Individually I really liked what I saw from Steel.

- third line didn’t really impress me either.

- fourth line was awesome. I love what those guys bring to the table as a unit.

-Lindholm and Manson were just ok. Lindholm was the better of the two and had some good moments but also overcommitted to the puck carrier on the Yotes goal leaving the passing option wide open.

- Fowler was awesome. I Thought he had a brilliant game and the goal was sick. Guhle was awful.

- Larsson was decent. Holzer was not

Gibson was great but still faced too many shots and chances. Hopefully we can add a top 4 guy who can help in that area, it would be nice to push Guhle down to the third pairing and get Holzer out of the lineup.

Reactions: Duck Off

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Scrappy win over a mediocre team but you have to take it

My thoughts split into units:
- Getz looks like he’s either lost a step or his legs aren’t there yet. That said his anticipation and hockey IQ are still so high that he’s still going to be effective even when the wheels fall off. I thought he had a great third. Ritchie and Kase both sucked although Kase had a couple of spurts of looking good.

- second line did not impress me as a line. Individually I really liked what I saw from Steel.

- third line didn’t really impress me either.

- fourth line was awesome. I love what those guys bring to the table as a unit.

-Lindholm and Manson were just ok. Lindholm was the better of the two and had some good moments but also overcommitted to the puck carrier on the Yotes goal leaving the passing option wide open.

- Fowler was awesome. I Thought he had a brilliant game and the goal was sick. Guhle was awful.

- Larsson was decent. Holzer was not

Gibson was great but still faced too many shots and chances. Hopefully we can add a top 4 guy who can help in that area, it would be nice to push Guhle down to the third pairing and get Holzer out of the lineup.
The guy going down the middle with the puck?

You have to commit to him like that, i wouldnt call that a bad play by lindholm, just a 3 on 2 that the coyotes made the right play on.... you hope lindholm can mess the pass up or something, or ritchie gets back to poke check the pass... but you cant leave middle lane guy open.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was fun watching last night. Can see the difference in systems. Were sloppy in the 1st but think it was nerves. Man, if this is the Fowler to expect this season, we are in for a treat. Let’s just hope.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The guy going down the middle with the puck?

You have to commit to him like that, i wouldnt call that a bad play by lindholm, just a 3 on 2 that the coyotes made the right play on.... you hope lindholm can mess the pass up or something, or ritchie gets back to poke check the pass... but you cant leave middle lane guy open.

With correct body position he could have taken the pass away and not given the guy in the middle enough space to walk through which would have allowed Gibson to see the shot all the way from a decent distance.

Easier said than done but Lindholm is meant to be one of the best defensively so I expect more from him defending that play than I would Holzer or Guhle.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It was fun watching last night. Can see the difference in systems. Were sloppy in the 1st but think it was nerves. Man, if this is the Fowler to expect this season, we are in for a treat. Let’s just hope.

Yeah that would be great but it’s not like we haven’t seen great games or even great spurts that last a couple of months before from Cam, it’s the consistency that’s the issue.

Hopefully Bob can acquire him a legit d partner and they can keep using feeding him a high amount of offensive zone starts. If they can’t upgrade on Guhle I would move Larsson up to that pairing, they were decent together in a handful of games to end last year.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
turns out when his hands aren't tied to the bicycle with Bieksa and Dotchkin and can actually let him fly he does stuff

weird.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah that would be great but it’s not like we haven’t seen great games or even great spurts that last a couple of months before from Cam, it’s the consistency that’s the issue.

Hopefully Bob can acquire him a legit d partner and they can keep using feeding him a high amount of offensive zone starts. If they can’t upgrade on Guhle I would move Larsson up to that pairing, they were decent together in a handful of games to end last year.

I think if he does not play like a turtle (Not the Ninja kind, lol) he should be ok. Needs to shoot more and get into the offense. That goal last night was excellent and greatly executed.

That addition of another D is critical. They lost out on Shattenkirk and Faulk (although that was a steep contract). So Bob has to be kicking the tires on something, I mean we hope.

Reactions: Paul4587
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad