Post-Game Talk: Coyotes at Avalanche 7PM MST | Please sir, may we have some goals?

Huis Clos*

You're telling me you believe he wouldn't be an upgrade over Holden or Guenin? Hes an experienced top 4 defender that got pushed out due to depth and some injury issues.

Even if they picked him up and gave him a week or so for conditioning and practice before playing him, it would have made a hell of a lot more sense than forcing 6/7 guys up into a top 4 role.

I think Klesla would have been a good partner for Barrie, considering the fact that we're hurting for left handed shutdown guys.

29 GMs including Joe Sakic passed on him. If he was a top four defender he's be in the NHL. The only people that think Klesla is a top four defender are arm chair scouts on HF.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I see some people are starting to turn on Roy already. Have you guys ever though about maybe coaching isn't the biggest issue, maybe it's just that like i said in my previous post, Avs just don't have consistent players who consistently play good together to keep the lines the same all the time.

Again, in my previous post i brought an example of consistent players or duo's that never get broken up.

Sedin's obviously, Getzlaf and Perry, Crosby Kunitz etc....

All this good teams have their duo's that never ever get separated which is a big part of what makes them a good teams.

Avs don't have this, they haven't had this since 90's, when Forsberg was playing with Kamensky and Lemieux and Sakic was playing with Deadmarsh all season and playoffs long.

Again, it's a fact that Avs just have bunch of skilled but streaky players rather than consistent players to keep lines together all season long.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Eventually I'd like to see some of the lines stay together long enough to develop chemistry.
Put Duchene back with ROR and keep Landeskog with Mackinnon. Those two duos have shown real chemistry together. We change the top six up almost every game lately

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Eventually I'd like to see some of the lines stay together long enough to develop chemistry.
Put Duchene back with ROR and keep Landeskog with Mackinnon. Those two duos have shown real chemistry together. We change the top six up almost every game lately

Completely agree with this. Keep these guys together and the consistency will come. I'm not worried about Duchene at all, he hasn't even been back two weeks.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
29 GMs including Joe Sakic passed on him. If he was a top four defender he's be in the NHL. The only people that think Klesla is a top four defender are arm chair scouts on HF.

LOL, passive aggressive comments aside. Did you see the reaction when he was put on waivers? Most Coyotes fans were afraid he'd get picked up, and didn't like the move.

No where did I say there wasn't issues there, and quite a few teams have cap restraints to worry about.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Obviously keeping the lines together is a good idea when the lines produce and the team is winning, but when the lines stop producing and the team starts losing there isn't much you can do as a coach other than break up lines.

The Avs are a 500 team after a 12-1 start, I'm sure Roy saw that lines weren't clicking, and injury to Duchene, he had to change things up

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Obviously keeping the lines together is a good idea when the lines produce and the team is winning, but when the lines stop producing and the team starts losing there isn't much you can do as a coach other than break up lines.

The Avs are a 500 team after a 12-1 start, I'm sure Roy saw that lines weren't clicking, and injury to Duchene, he had to change things up

I get changing them during the injury, but afterwards he hasn't tried what was working prior to the injury beyond a few shifts.

Edit : This argument also works against ever putting Landeskog and Duchene out together 5v5 as well. That has not worked for two games now... If he continues it into tonight's match up, some worries are warranted IMO.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I get changing them during the injury, but afterwards he hasn't tried what was working prior to the injury beyond a few shifts.

Edit : This argument also works against ever putting Landeskog and Duchene out together 5v5 as well. That has not worked for two games now... If he continues it into tonight's match up, some worries are warranted IMO.

I really don't think Duchene with ROR and PAP has been anything special as a line.

Duchene pretty much has used his speed and done things on his own when he was going before the injury.

Same can be said about Mac and Landeskog. I haven't seen a strong chemistry between those two either.

The only line that had some chemistry early in the season was Landeskog-Stastny-Tanguay line

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Landeskog and Mackinnon looked great together the couple of games they got, imo. And it showed up on the score sheet

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacK and Landy absolutely have chemistry. They have combined for several nice goals together. Landy-Stastny-Tanguay was a good line but they still passed too much. I'm curious what Landy-MacKinnon-Tanguay would do.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Arm chair HF scouts. 30 NHL GMs don't think he can play.

I don't think that's entirely true. There was talk about lingering problems from injuries in training camp and perhaps some personal things too. I think there was some perceived risk beyond just playing ability and salary here that made GMs back off.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Scouts at tonight's game:

Two from Tampa
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Pittsburgh
Montreal
And USA Hockey is here to scout as well.

Also, Wilson is at the morning skate.

Huis Clos*

I don't think that's entirely true. There was talk about lingering problems from injuries in training camp and perhaps some personal things too. I think there was some perceived risk beyond just playing ability and salary here that made GMs back off.

Injuries I can understand, personal issues are hearsay and unsubstantiated as far as I know. The contract? Really? Do you all truly believe that when you type it? He's a free agent at year end, his contract only has 2/3 left on it and the cap hit is less than $3 million. True top four defenders on that contract don't make it to waivers, let alone pass all the way through.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Scouts at tonight's game:

Two from Tampa
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Pittsburgh
Montreal
And USA Hockey is here to scout as well.

Also, Wilson is at the morning skate.

Does someone report this kind of stuff?

Hopefully USA hockey is taking a good look at Stastny and Johnson. Too bed former national team member Matt Hunwick won't be playing :sarcasm:

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Klesla had a concussion in pre-season, has played ok but not great for the Coyotes this year, and makes 3 mill. He was healthy scratched, had personal issues and was excused from practice once, before he was waved. Even when he is playing well, he is 5th on the D chart in PHX, because D is stacked. If healthy mentally and physically, he would help Colorado, but not sure on cap space issues. I suspect he will be back in PHX once his issues are resolved...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Injuries I can understand, personal issues are hearsay and unsubstantiated as far as I know. The contract? Really? Do you all truly believe that when you type it? He's a free agent at year end, his contract only has 2/3 left on it and the cap hit is less than $3 million. True top four defenders on that contract don't make it to waivers, let alone pass all the way through.

Perhaps I was unclear. I wrote perceived risk beyond playing ability and salary. I didn't mean salary was a risk.

Of course the personal things are hearsay, but that doesn't mean GMs don't care about it. They have 24 hours to make their mind up and if they can't figure out why this guy is on waivers and hear whispers about personal issues, they'll back off in a big way.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Does someone report this kind of stuff?

Hopefully USA hockey is taking a good look at Stastny and Johnson. Too bed former national team member Matt Hunwick won't be playing :sarcasm:

USA Hockey is there to scout Guenin guys.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
MacK and Landy absolutely have chemistry. They have combined for several nice goals together. Landy-Stastny-Tanguay was a good line but they still passed too much. I'm curious what Landy-MacKinnon-Tanguay would do.

Seriously. Has no one else seen this? Great chemistry.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn't read too much into a team passing on a guy on waivers. Good players get passed up all the time. Calgary had a shot at acquiring Kris Russell for free, and yet traded for him afterwards. They just seem to have an issue with it, even though from our point of view it's a chance to get a player for absolutely free.

That said, I don't think Klesla is a massive upgrade on what we already have. If healthy, maybe, but he's clearly not and that's why he was waived.

A more desperate team, like, say, the Islanders, should've made a claim though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad