Coyotes Arena Situation - Part 2(weeks) - Arena Site Chosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Well I hope the Coyotes never move but I do hope you get a chance to check out Quebec and QC. It really is a unique European City in NA. Very beautiful and only a few hours from Montreal as well. You could easily do QC and then Montreal and on to Ottawa in a week or so. Arrive in Ottawa for Canada Day on July 1st and you will get to enjoy another great Canadian experience.
No. My only foray into Canada was BC.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Hard to believe you all are having this discussion, but I do understand that a number of fans on this board don't live in Phoenix metro. If the Coyotes relocated, I would have absolutely zero interest in watching their games. In sour grapes fashion, I would want them to fail.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Hard to believe you all are having this discussion, but I do understand that a number of fans on this board don't live in Phoenix metro. If the Coyotes relocated, I would have absolutely zero interest in watching their games. In sour grapes fashion, I would want them to fail.

I'm sure there are also fans on here that followed them while in Winnipeg, so it's not that unusual to continue supporting a team once it is moved. It's often not the team's fault in these situations (in our case it's often the ownership). For some, it might be a relief to see them moved: new owners (that can purse a more competitive team), new coaching staff, some new players, leaving the bad history in AZ behind.

I don't know if I'd be as much of a fan if they left since there are plenty of options around me that I could support (although it would take me a while to stomach it). I guess, for me, It would depend on where they move and what management/coaching/player changes were made. Until that time (which I don't see happening for at least 5 years), I'll continue to support and comment on the team.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Well I hope the Coyotes never move but I do hope you get a chance to check out Quebec and QC. It really is a unique European City in NA. Very beautiful and only a few hours from Montreal as well. You could easily do QC and then Montreal and on to Ottawa in a week or so. Arrive in Ottawa for Canada Day on July 1st and you will get to enjoy another great Canadian experience.
So it seems like I, as an American visitor, should assume that QC is a francophone city by default, and I should use French whenever possible; and if I make a good-faith effort to communicate in French, the locals will be gentle with me. Am I close?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Have you ever been there? I agree that the people will be more cognizant of English players after losing their team and doing without for so long but Quebec City is not that different than 25 years ago in the French vs English sense. If anything their French language police have made it much worse for English only folks and businesses.

Yep. Quebec is very determined to maintain their culture. They don't want any change at all. It's actually kind of funny how they can get away with stuff that would be discriminatory anywhere else.

I think French players would like being there, but a lot of others would not. A lot don't like being in overcritical markets, pair that with language issues...

No. My only foray into Canada was BC.

You can't really compare anywhere else in Canada to Quebec. It's very unique, almost like in it's own bubble. The culture of it is so different from the rest of Canada. It does have a very interesting history, many wars fought there, buildings reminiscent of old Europe. And the girls are generally considered some of the most attractive in the world, some say it has to do with the King sending over all the troublesome, promiscuous girls over to be make babies with the French soldiers.

So it seems like I, as an American visitor, should assume that QC is a francophone city by default, and I should use French whenever possible; and if I make a good-faith effort to communicate in French, the locals will be gentle with me. Am I close?

Yeah they'd appreciate that. Some might still give some laughs at your poor French skills but they'd likely appreciate the effort :laugh: Might also help to try and figure out how to speak French with a Quebec accent, it is MUCH ;) different from a France accent.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have had mixed success with that to be honest. It's been mostly appreciated but a couple times French people have gotten mad at a group of us when we knew some French words but couldn't converse well. They accused us of not wanting to use the language although we knew it. You will be able to get by but don't be surprised if restaurants and such have only 1 in 5 staff able to make English work. But again it's a beautiful place that's very unique in North America.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Since this thread has totally gone off the rails, it's time to close it until such time any more news comes out regarding the Coyotes' effort to get a new arena.

Feel free to continue in the Lounge thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino