Coyotes All Time Roster - Goalie Tandem (VOTE 2)

Which Two?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Who ya got?

Vote for 2.

Nikolai Khabibulin
Regular Season: 284 GP | .916 sv% | 2.69 GAA (this includes some 'peg numbers I'm not filtering out)
Playoffs: 8W 9L | .918 sv% (Coyotes only)

Sean Burke
Regular Season: 211 GP | .919 Sv % | 2.39 GAA
Playoffs: 2W 8L | .903 Sv %

Ilya Bryzgalov

Regular season: 257 GP | .917 Sv% | 2.54 GAA
Playoffs: 3W 8L | .896 Sv %

Mike Smith

Regular Season: 312 GP | .916 Sv% | 2.69 GAA
Playoffs: 9W 7L | .944 Sv%

Darcy Kuemper
Regular Season: 94GP | .923 Sv% | 2.39 GAA
Playoffs: 4w 5L | .913 Sv %

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think Smith is the best goalie in the teams history. I know many dislike him but he was the MVP of our best season. His 916 SV% is good and he holds the record for most GP as a goalie. He kept a pretty high SV% considering how awful the team in front of him was even in his last few seasons

Reactions: MIGs Dog

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I included Kuemper in the vote but he doesn't have the GP for me to take him seriously as one of the choices. If he puts up another season, yeah.

It's hard to vote for Smith because of his often shitty attitude but it's harder to ignore his performance in the playoffs.

I harbor more ill will (still) over Khabibulin's holdout than I do Schmiddy's death stares and crappy couple seasons toward the end.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I included Kuemper in the vote but he doesn't have the GP for me to take him seriously as one of the choices. If he puts up another season, yeah.

I harbor more ill will (still) over Khabibulin's holdout than I do Schmiddy's death stares and crappy couple seasons toward the end.
Kuemper just needs a larger sample size. Another season, I agree, particularly at his current level should put him there.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Khabi and Burke, no question for me ;-)

Kuemper is on a good way, but i think you need to get some more games to bevome a teams all star.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Posted back in 2017. I think Bryzgalov is the most underrated in the group. His W-L record is outstanding.

Goalie is quite a four way battle.
Nik Khabibulin 126-113 - 0.908 and 2.75 GAA 1 x All star 18x playoff games
Sean Burke 97-78 - 0.919 and 2.39 GAA 2 x All star 10x playoff games
Ilya Bryzgalov 130-93 - 0.917 and 2.54 GAA 2 x All star 11x playoff games
Mike Smith 128-132 - 0.916 and 2.69 GAA 1 x All star 16x playoff games

Each of them leads a category outright.

Reactions: YotesFan47

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I was hoping to see Alex Auld and David Aebischer. :eek2:
(woof..... I remember that was actually our tandem once)

Bryz was a workhorse..... averaging ~65 starts (and never got hurt.... except in the head.)
Smitty..... man.... he carried the team on a lot of nights BUT........

I never got to see Khabibulin play since it was before I moved to Phoenix but you look at his stats and he's the top dog.
And of course, Sean Burke.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Nikolai Khabibulin
Regular Season: 284 GP | .916 sv% | 2.69 GAA (this includes some 'peg numbers I'm not filtering out)

How did you get 0.916 for Khabibulin? Even including Winnipeg it shouldnt be this number? It's roughly around .910 for Coyotes and lower if you include Winnipeg.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Posted back in 2017. I think Bryzgalov is the most underrated in the group. His W-L record is outstanding.

He was better than he gets remembered for, and even managed to put up good numbers on Gretzky teams. Still a playoff choke artist though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One of my favorite Coyotes ever. Great goaltender historically, but his stint in AZ probably wouldn’t justify a vote for best AZ goalie of all time.

Most of the good feelings surrounding CuJo I find are related to:
1. He had a really good first couple months and helped make the team look respectable out of the lockout.
2. Pang's CuJo boosterism

I have some good sentiments around #1, it was a decent time to be a Coyotes fan for about a minute after the stupid lockout was over.
But he was mostly bad to outright awful after those first two months.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Boucher and his 5 game shut out streak is one of the few good memories about our goalie play.
Our goaltending has never really been a weakness since we arrived in Arizona in 96. In fact, I’d say we’ve been blessed with above average goaltending throughout our existence. (I don’t count Winnipeg)

We have gone from Khabibulin, to Burke, to Joseph(weakest starter but still passable), to Bryzgalov, to Smith, to Raanta, to Kuemper, without much awfulness in-between. Even the aforementioned Aebischer/Auld tandem(which was actually an Aebischer/Auld/Tellqvist 3-way in which Aebischer left a few weeks into season after only playing 1 game) season was saved by claiming Bryzgalov off waivers.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I can't get over how horrible he was in the playoffs. Considering what the 2012 team did, I can't help but wonder what the two years before that could've been like if Bryz had been able to stop a beach ball in the playoffs.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Easily Smith, but a tossups between Khabibulin (who feels most iconic), Kuemper (probably the most objectively talented) and Burke (whose legacy is buoyed by his AGM time). I voted Khabibulin, but anyone except the space cadet works fine.

Those giving Smith grief over his last couple seasons, please remember that was the era when Kyle Chipchura dressed as 1C in a couple GDTs.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Our goaltending has never really been a weakness since we arrived in Arizona in 96. In fact, I’d say we’ve been blessed with above average goaltending throughout our existence. (I don’t count Winnipeg)

We have gone from Khabibulin, to Burke, to Joseph(weakest starter but still passable), to Bryzgalov, to Smith, to Raanta, to Kuemper, without much awfulness in-between. Even the aforementioned Aebischer/Auld tandem(which was actually an Aebischer/Auld/Tellqvist 3-way in which Aebischer left a few weeks into season after only playing 1 game) season was saved by claiming Bryzgalov off waivers.
I see this as a team thing as almost none of them have been better elsewhere.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Those giving Smith grief over his last couple seasons, please remember that was the era when Kyle Chipchura dressed as 1C in a couple GDTs.

I'm giving Smith grief over his whole career, personally. The stars (hah!) aligned for him and the Coyotes for one brilliant season, and then he went back to being his normal self.

Bryzgalov did more with less than Smith did, IMO.

Reactions: ck26

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I'm giving Smith grief over his whole career, personally. The stars (hah!) aligned for him and the Coyotes for one brilliant season, and then he went back to being his normal self.

Bryzgalov did more with less than Smith did, IMO.
$2mil Smith was so much better than the other Smith! Could it be he had too much pizza with extra olive oil after the new contract?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad