News Article: Coyotes add Claude Loiselle in consultanting role

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
This hiring makes not sense, and is a step backwards if the team wants to go in a more analytical direction.

Really a head scratcher..... What is GMDM thinking?
Great book out there called "The Wisdom of Crowds" by James Surowiecki. Experiment at a state fair, having a couple hundred people guess the weight of a bull at a state fair. "Experts" didn't get as close as the average of everyone's guess.

European soccer almost always combines Tipp's job and Maloney's job into one person "the manager" but smart teams add more brains to the equation. Liverpool were a middle-of-the-road team until the 1960's, when they started "the boot room" ... a group of coaches / ex-coaches / colleagues / friends who sat around (in a storage room) and drank whiskey and talked tactics and brainstormed together about upcoming games. A few decades of that and they're the 2nd best team in the history of English soccer and they're 5-time European champions. Olympic Lyon (France) were utterly uninteresting until the late 90's, when they got a committee of co-GM's / scouting coordinators / etc and figured out how to dominate the trade market. Maloney has already done THAT haha, but OL used that to win the French league title 7 years in a row.

You can argue the merits of the individual, but nothing wrong with putting more qualified voices in the room.

$875,000 pays for 1 Anders Lindback or it pays for 3-4 co-GM / consultants. Give me the latter.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great book out there called "The Wisdom of Crowds" by James Surowiecki. Experiment at a state fair, having a couple hundred people guess the weight of a bull at a state fair. "Experts" didn't get as close as the average of everyone's guess.

European soccer almost always combines Tipp's job and Maloney's job into one person "the manager" but smart teams add more brains to the equation. Liverpool were a middle-of-the-road team until the 1960's, when they started "the boot room" ... a group of coaches / ex-coaches / colleagues / friends who sat around (in a storage room) and drank whiskey and talked tactics and brainstormed together about upcoming games. A few decades of that and they're the 2nd best team in the history of English soccer and they're 5-time European champions. Olympic Lyon (France) were utterly uninteresting until the late 90's, when they got a committee of co-GM's / scouting coordinators / etc and figured out how to dominate the trade market. Maloney has already done THAT haha, but OL used that to win the French league title 7 years in a row.

You can argue the merits of the individual, but nothing wrong with putting more qualified voices in the room.

$875,000 pays for 1 Anders Lindback or it pays for 3-4 co-GM / consultants. Give me the latter.

The Coyotes were under employed for years. We are just catching up to the rest of the league.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe they added Loiselle as the official "devil's advocate" for management brainstorming sessions. It's pretty obvious he's the anti-Chayka and possibly his role might boil down to supplying a course-correcting presence whenever there is too much choir-preaching.

Or maybe Maloney needed another terrible hire to supplement Playfair's.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
This hiring makes no sense, and is a step backwards if the team wants to go in a more analytical direction.

Really a head scratcher..... What is GMDM thinking?

Isles hired Loiselle as a consultant according to Arthur Staple, Isles beat reporter.

Is it known when Chayka fired/released him or his contract expired?

@StapeNewsday
Familiar face at #Isles rookie camp: Claude Loiselle, former AGM with TOR and former #Isles player, will be a consultant this season.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
His name has been removed from the Coyotes.com hockey ops page.
I completely forgot this hire happened, and so I read the first couple posts without realizing they were from a year ago.

Whatever. Did we hear Claude Loiselle's name at all outside this thread? Just google image searched him and I feel like I've seen him on TSN draft coverage before. Maybe interviewed or something. Sounds like he had a pretty inconsequential year here. Here's hoping Dawn Braid, Mike Van Ryn and Steve Potvin stay longer and do something praise-worthy while they're here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad