News Article: Coyotes add Claude Loiselle in consultanting role

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Coyotes added Claude Loiselle on Friday as a hockey operations consultant.

The 52-year-old Loiselle was the Toronto Maple Leafs' vice-president and assistant general manager from 2010-14. He also served seven years as associate director of hockey operations for the NHL

Loiselle had 92 goals and 117 assists in 616 career NHL games in 13 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Devils, Quebec Nordiques, Maple Leafs and New York Islanders.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Can't think of a redeeming quality Loiselle brings.

Anyone see value here?

Last edited:

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
According to this, he didn't make the smart enough for the Maple Leafs cut and the article infers he is not a fancy stater...

Shanahan hired 28-year-old Sault Ste. Marie general manager Kyle Dubas, one of the brightest young minds from the OHL, as an assistant general manager. He gave roles to former advanced stats bloggers Rob Pettapiece and Cam Charron—who regularly criticized the team—while buying out Darryl Metcalf's ExtraSkater.com and bringing him on board. Toronto let go of assistant GM Claude Loiselle and vice president of hockey operations Dave Poulin, both of whom were holdovers from the Brian Burke regime. Shanahan wanted the organization to have the smartest hockey minds use the best resources available.

Leiweke explained it by saying that Shanahan came in and decided the organization was going to be smart from now on. He bought into Shanahan's vision.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...e-but-new-approach-is-for-real-us-translation

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Loiselle spent seven years as Associate Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL and was involved in salary arbitration, discipline and collective bargaining, while also serving as the liaison on hockey operation matters between the NHL and the AHL.

I don't get it either.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Was responsible for a lot of the awful contracts in Toronto IIRC.

On the bright side I like how we actually have money to hire people. Loiselle, Chayka, Sullivan, Schwab, Slaney, etc. These are all new positions that didn't exist a few years ago. We now have money to hire people. Hopefully it translates into results.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
For a team that has "budget issues", there's sure a lot of consultants and advisors being brought on as of late. Do we actually have more of these than any other team? The more of these people we hire, the more it tells me that our management team doesn't have a clue on what to do.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Anders Lindback alone probably makes more money than every single recent consultant and advisor we recently hired combined.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm sure the cost is trivial

The idea that you need Clause effin Loiselle on a retainer because he's a valuable voice is what's completely ridiculous. Hire a kid Chayka thinks highly of and make his dream come true. Don't bring in another old boy who wasn't even good at being that.

The only way it makes sense is if he's there to help Springfield turn things around or even possibly be part of acquiring an AHL franchise for the Coyotes (yeah right).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For a team that has "budget issues", there's sure a lot of consultants and advisors being brought on as of late. Do we actually have more of these than any other team? The more of these people we hire, the more it tells me that our management team doesn't have a clue on what to do.

We are talking about a multi million dollar business,so you need people to run it properly. We are already seeing results in the drafting department by hiring more scouts.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Was responsible for a lot of the awful contracts in Toronto IIRC.

On the bright side I like how we actually have money to hire people. Loiselle, Chayka, Sullivan, Schwab, Slaney, etc. These are all new positions that didn't exist a few years ago. We now have money to hire people. Hopefully it translates into results.

Exactly. We are seeing results in the scouting area, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Can't think of a redeeming quality Loiselle brings.

Anyone see value here?
A quick wikipedia search lists him on "Portail:Franco-Ontariens," (Franco-Ontarians, French speaking people from Ontario) so he should be useful for relocation to either Hamilton or Quebec City ...

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida

You know, I thought pretty much the same thing. It's one thing for the Pres. of the US to have many consultants, but a hockey team???? Seems like the higher up's are a little nervous in making decisions. No? :dunno:

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
Anders Lindback alone probably makes more money than every single recent consultant and advisor we recently hired combined.

Off topic... Is your doggie picture a Shiba Inu? Love those dogs.
Ok, back to hockey and too many people making too much money and providing nothing worth their salaries.... (kinda sounds like my old profession)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Off topic... Is your doggie picture a Shiba Inu? Love those dogs.
Ok, back to hockey and too many people making too much money and providing nothing worth their salaries.... (kinda sounds like my old profession)

Well, we do have canadian ownership and this certainly isn't / wouldn't be the first time this franchise has been raped and pillage by the likes thereof.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
This hiring makes not sense, and is a step backwards if the team wants to go in a more analytical direction.

Really a head scratcher..... What is GMDM thinking?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'll try to put a positive spin on it and say it's an extra voice in the room that wasn't there last week. And the voices seem pretty stale to me lately. Also, if he was a NHL- AHL liaison maybe it's not what he knows but who he knows that might prove helpful later. If Burke still likes him, he's alright by me.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I remember hearing good things about Loiselle when he was in Tampa.

Jakey has it I think -- what executive has made it out alive from Toronto in the last 40 years? Pat Quinn and Cliff Fletcher (the first go around) are the only two I can think of that weren't just awful. And even those two had warts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad