Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Acquire Josh Archibald, Sean Macguire (+2019 6th) from PIT for Michael Leighton (+2019 4th)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Which kids progressed last year?
Domi - '15/16 52pts, last season 38pts
Duke - '15/16 44pts, last season 15pts
Rieder - '15/16 37pts, last season 34pts
Martinook - '15/16 24pts, last season 25pts

quit with the narrative that DT was somehow helping improve the kids, it wasn't true...which is why he got canned! Both DT and RT suck as coaches for this team. We needed someone with more experience to navigate the road with so many unproven kids and younger kids that need to be molded into winners.

Domi missed over 20 games last year. Rieder and Martinook both played very well in their role. When evaluating players it's not only points rather their over all play and their role on the team. Dvorak, Chychrun and Perlini all progressed very nicely last year. Duke is the only wild card of the bunch. Maybe if you stopped looking at point totals and look a little deeper you might see a different story.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The mark of a well coached team is getting the most out of their players, and the opposite is just as true. The team as a whole and players individually are not being put in a position to succeed.

You might be right. I have been blaming the vets more than the coach, maybe I have it backwards.:dunno:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why were we eliminated the the third week of October? Why haven't the kids progressed like last year? Do we have the wrong vets? Have the vets under performed, or did management evaluate them wrong? While the kids have not progressed like last year, I don't think they are the problem.
Domingue cost us many of the games in the first 3 weeks. You can’t go winless in any 10 game stretch and make the playoffs. Virtually statistically impossible.

Some kids have progressed. Keller, Perlini, Fischer most notably but even then they have games/stretches where they disappear.

Domi has struggled with turnovers. Dvorak isn’t showing us enough offensively (although I think that’s related to usage)

OEL has not played his normal mistake free game since he started an underwear company.

Demers has struggled with adjusting to new team. Ithink goligoski has started to return to form but overall our Defense has been awful as we’ve struggled with players not being properly slotted due to injury.

I don’t think the kids individually are a problem but collectively I don’t think breaking in 5-6 1st and 2nd year players is a recipe for good things. It doesn’t happen by design. We headed down a path where we have introduced increased levels of inconsistency so we shouldn’t be surprised that the results are... inconsistent.

Vets are vets. They are they most likely to be disillusioned by the poor start as they realize their best hope for a successful season lies in the trade deadline. It has been a rough adjustment for Stepan and Not having hjarlmarsson and Raanta for long stretches have hurt.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Domi missed over 20 games last year. Rieder and Martinook both played very well in their role. When evaluating players it's not only points rather their over all play and their role on the team. Dvorak, Chychrun and Perlini all progressed very nicely last year. Duke is the only wild card of the bunch. Maybe if you stopped looking at point totals and look a little deeper you might see a different story.

No, you're right...I should have the same opinion as you and DT is god, I got it. I couldn't possibly understand that stats aren't everything and that I could learn something by actually watching the games. Thank you for letting me know that I don't watch games and I couldn't possible know that the kids were progressing with DT at the helm! My mistake.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Some kids have progressed. Keller, Perlini, Fischer most notably but even then they have games/stretches where they disappear.

Domi has struggled with turnovers. Dvorak isn’t showing us enough offensively (although I think that’s related to usage)

I'm pretty happy with Dvorak's game. My main complaint with him offensively is he doesn't get into shooting positions enough. Little more down on Perlini than you. But it's hard to tell when a mostly offensive weapon isn't scoring because the team is never in the offensive zone :dunce:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
No, you're right...I should have the same opinion as you and DT is god, I got it. I couldn't possibly understand that stats aren't everything and that I could learn something by actually watching the games. Thank you for letting me know that I don't watch games and I couldn't possible know that the kids were progressing with DT at the helm! My mistake.

No, you just struggle with putting 2 and 2 together.

Domi averaged 0.64 ppg in both seasons. I would argue that it was harder to miss 20 games in the middle of the season and then come right back in and get the same scoring pace as the previous year. He also did so as more of a distributor. Duclair has been the only true outlier of the players you mentioned, so you're kind of killing your own story there. Didn't Martinook play at C quite a bit more the prior year? So someone gained 1 point on the season going away from a position where he was likely more involved in play as a C than a wing, right? Not certain if that is stumping progress. Not everything can be an upward trajectory, even if it makes us feel better to believe that every year has to have an attainable improvement...

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domingue cost us many of the games in the first 3 weeks. You can’t go winless in any 10 game stretch and make the playoffs. Virtually statistically impossible.

OEL has not played his normal mistake free game since he started an underwear company.

Demers has struggled with adjusting to new team. Ithink goligoski has started to return to form but overall our Defense has been awful as we’ve struggled with players not being properly slotted due to injury.

I don’t think the kids individually are a problem but collectively I don’t think breaking in 5-6 1st and 2nd year players is a recipe for good things. It doesn’t happen by design. We headed down a path where we have introduced increased levels of inconsistency so we shouldn’t be surprised that the results are... inconsistent.

Vets are vets. They are they most likely to be disillusioned by the poor start as they realize their best hope for a successful season lies in the trade deadline. It has been a rough adjustment for Stepan and Not having hjarlmarsson and Raanta for long stretches have hurt.

Hindsight is 20/20, but having more bottom six vets instead of the kids sure wouldn't make this a playoff team. Kids are expected to have slumps and bumps during the year, but it's the vets that have to pick up the slack when that happens. Hell, I think the kids have picked up the slack more than the vets have. I don't like using injuries as an excuse, but for a rebuilding team we don't have the depth when the injury bug hits, and that I think has been one of the problems. When it comes to vets, why are they having a problem adjusting? We are almost half way into the season and they are still making the same silly mistakes. Demers, Gogo have played well overall, but it is that one or two dumb, and I mean dumb mistakes every game that sinks the team. If it's not them it's someone else. A very frustrating year to say the least.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
"This is the perfect environment for him right now"

Yeah nothing like an environment where nobody knows what the f*** they're doing, the 5,000 assistant captains all have blank stares on their faces and the team is 7-24-5. Perfect environment.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
So.... I assume by RT's comment that the current players aren't paying attention to details and giving less than 100% effort. Perhaps a bit more detail-oriented coaching and motivation might do the trick. Archibald certainly won't be the "glue" to bring everything together. I hate spin...

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Wow. Some good news. Very happy to see this trade. Never noticed the man, I must admit, but seeing the pens-fans speaking highly of him after they trade him makes me happy.

A small, fast, hardworking player sounds good. Really good. So many people look to much at size, so the finds should be with the smaller ones.

And fast and hardworking is excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad