Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Acquire Josh Archibald, Sean Macguire (+2019 6th) from PIT for Michael Leighton (+2019 4th)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Archibald is another spark plug guy like Kempe. Hopefully less adept at murdering offense with the puck on his stick. It's another Kempe, but one that Tocchet already knows and likes and one who might have a little more ability to make a play offensively.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's a fine trade. Rinaldo-Cousins-Archibald should be a fun 4th line. It's just that we're missing a 1st line. Martinook-Richardson-Rieder should be our 4th line.

Meh, at this point I've given up hoping for legit NHL lines. Tocchet is playing roster games now and I've kinda defaulted back to my "armchair GM" mentality. Sad to be focusing on asset management rather than our win-loss record this early in the season, but here we are. :cry:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's like we have a new Tippett in terms of roster management. The system is 100% different by equally ineffective. The difference is that it has the POTENTIAL to grow with our skilled young players, should they be lucky enough to actually develop. All fans of losing teams complain about their coaches and how line ups are managed. Specifically plumbers getting looks over kids. It's really a universal gripe with fans of bad teams.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's like we have a new Tippett in terms of roster management. The system is 100% different by equally ineffective. The difference is that it has the POTENTIAL to grow with our skilled young players, should they be lucky enough to actually develop. All fans of losing teams complain about their coaches and how line ups are managed. Specifically plumbers getting looks over kids. It's really a universal gripe with fans of bad teams.

Actually it is the exact same - all of the kids have the potential to grow, regardless.

Kids on the team when Tippett was coaching: Domi, Duclair, Crouse, Strome, Dvorak, Perlini, Chychrun, Fischer, Keller

Kids on the team when Tocchet was coaching: Domi, Duclair, Crouse, Strome, Dvorak, Perlini, Chychrun, Fischer, Keller

The only difference is that one of them is being given more than a year or two with the same kids (although a year or two might be what Tocchet gets, too). The potential of the kids is not very different, unless a coach can single-handedly transform each one of these players to a level beyond what they are capable of. Even if we hadn't seen the current half-year of mediocrity, the potential is all still very much the same, regardless of coach.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Thought I'd come over and give a little scouting report on Archibald:

Pros:
Very fast skater
Loves to play the body
Can PK and should be a SH threat with his speed
Has played both wings, he's better as a RW though
Works hard.

Cons:
He's small.
He's an offensive unknown at the NHL level. Will need to play the rest of this season to give a better idea of what he's going to be able to do offensively at the NHL level.
Uses his speed on the forecheck, but can he use it to manufacture offence a la Grabner.

He's currently a 12th/AHL call up who can provide a spark without hurting you. Realistic upside is a 5-10 goal 15-20 point 4th liner who PKs, outside shot he figures things out offensively and is a 15 goal 30 point 3rd liner.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh my good God.... rt has Tippetted Tocchet.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Thought I'd come over and give a little scouting report on Archibald:

Pros:
Very fast skater
Loves to play the body
Can PK and should be a SH threat with his speed
Has played both wings, he's better as a RW though
Works hard.

Cons:
He's small.
He's an offensive unknown at the NHL level. Will need to play the rest of this season to give a better idea of what he's going to be able to do offensively at the NHL level.
Uses his speed on the forecheck, but can he use it to manufacture offence a la Grabner.

He's currently a 12th/AHL call up who can provide a spark without hurting you. Realistic upside is a 5-10 goal 15-20 point 4th liner who PKs, outside shot he figures things out offensively and is a 15 goal 30 point 3rd liner.

Thanks for the info!! :thumbu:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Archibald is another spark plug guy like Kempe. Hopefully less adept at murdering offense with the puck on his stick. It's another Kempe, but one that Tocchet already knows and likes and one who might have a little more ability to make a play offensively.

Why is it that Chayka has to make a deal like every month. We don't need Archibald, Kempe, Cousins and the like. Leave well enough alone until we figure out what went wrong in the first place. It has been like a whirlwind around here since Chayka became GM.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why is it that Chayka has to make a deal like every month. We don't need Archibald, Kempe, Cousins and the like. Leave well enough alone until we figure out what went wrong in the first place. It has been like a whirlwind around here since Chayka became GM.
I think it was a good trade. Got to remember we will be selling the likes of Richardson and possibly Reider for futures at the deadline and the speed and work ethic is what separates Archibald as a player we would want in our bottom six. The goalie we acquired has some upside as well. Don't be fooled by him currently being in the ECHL. He was solid at BU. clearly a better prospect than Leighton at this stage in his career and we will likely get a similar prospect in the 6th round that we would have gotten in the 4th. I honestly don't know how we could have passed on this.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it was a good trade. Got to remember we will be selling the likes of Richardson and possibly Reider for futures at the deadline and the speed and work ethic is what separates Archibald as a player we would want in our bottom six. The goalie we acquired has some upside as well. Don't be fooled by him currently being in the ECHL. He was solid at BU. clearly a better prospect than Leighton at this stage in his career and we will likely get a similar prospect in the 6th round that we would have gotten in the 4th. I honestly don't know how we could have passed on this.

You are probably right as I have no clue how Archibald plays. I guess I should wait until he plays.:) before making a judgement. As far as trades go, I think on paper Chayka has done well, but it has not translated to the ice. What do you think is wrong with this team? I don't blame the coaching as much as others, rather I blame the vets for there lackluster play and leadership but coaching has to come into play somewhere. Like rt mentioned, we are a very soft team and I don't think many teams are scared of us.:dunno:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You are probably right as I have no clue how Archibald plays. I guess I should wait until he plays.:) before making a judgement. As far as trades go, I think on paper Chayka has done well, but it has not translated to the ice. What do you think is wrong with this team? I don't blame the coaching as much as others, rather I blame the vets for there lackluster play and leadership but coaching has to come into play somewhere. Like rt mentioned, we are a very soft team and I don't think many teams are scared of us.:dunno:
This is a year where everything that could go bad has gone bad. We are the Avs of last year. How do u maintain focus for 60 minutes with a rookie laden crew when u were eliminated from the playoffs by third week of October? How would u do in a university class where u had no chance of passing? These are kids and this is why you don’t break in 4-5 first and second year players at the same time. When you do outlier things expect outlier things to happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is a year where everything that could go bad has gone bad. We are the Avs of last year. How do u maintain focus for 60 minutes with a rookie laden crew when u were eliminated from the playoffs by third week of October? How would u do in a university class where u had no chance of passing? These are kids and this is why you don’t break in 4-5 first and second year players at the same time. When you do outlier things expect outlier things to happen.

Why were we eliminated the the third week of October? Why haven't the kids progressed like last year? Do we have the wrong vets? Have the vets under performed, or did management evaluate them wrong? While the kids have not progressed like last year, I don't think they are the problem.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why were we eliminated the the third week of October? Why haven't the kids progressed like last year? Do we have the wrong vets? Have the vets under performed, or did management evaluate them wrong? While the kids have not progressed like last year, I don't think they are the problem.
The mark of a well coached team is getting the most out of their players, and the opposite is just as true. The team as a whole and players individually are not being put in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

Which kids progressed last year?
Domi - '15/16 52pts, last season 38pts
Duke - '15/16 44pts, last season 15pts
Rieder - '15/16 37pts, last season 34pts
Martinook - '15/16 24pts, last season 25pts

quit with the narrative that DT was somehow helping improve the kids, it wasn't true...which is why he got canned! Both DT and RT suck as coaches for this team. We needed someone with more experience to navigate the road with so many unproven kids and younger kids that need to be molded into winners.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We were massively behind the 8 ball after going 0-10 to start the year. Louie couldn't stop anything. If we had at least gotten a few points there, it could have been salvageable.

Reactions: Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad