Coyotes 2023-24 Training Camp Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Don’t be surprised to see The Sheriff wearing the “C” badge on opening night. He’s been helping Cooley more than anyone, chauffeuring him around and making sure he’s taken care of…and he was the team ambassador today on 98.7 talking about the Australia trip. Personally, I think this would be the right call. Crouse “C” Keller “A” second “A” could be several different guys…

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think it would be a very good thing for Kolyachonok and Soderstrom to have dominant AHL seasons and prove something.
Seems to me that more often than not, a player who has a dominant AHL season has proved that he has had a dominant AHL season. One can dominate the AHL with a skill set that is not conducive to a dominant NHL career.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Don’t be surprised to see The Sheriff wearing the “C” badge on opening night. He’s been helping Cooley more than anyone, chauffeuring him around and making sure he’s taken care of…and he was the team ambassador today on 98.7 talking about the Australia trip. Personally, I think this would be the right call. Crouse “C” Keller “A” second “A” could be several different guys…
I’ve been holding off buying my Crouse Jersey because of the chance it might need a C on it. Haha

Reactions: Foggy1097

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Seems to me that more often than not, a player who has a dominant AHL season has proved that he has had a dominant AHL season. One can dominate the AHL with a skill set that is not conducive to a dominant NHL career.
Dominant was the wrong word. Soderstrom has never shown he’s too good for any lower level. I’m Suggesting he EARN a spot through his own performance. As in a body of work.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd love this.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Outsider here doing my scouting. Arizona has some good forward depth now. Exciting times. Keerfoot on fourth line as I guess the following are top nine?

Schmaltz, Keller, Hayton, Maccelli, Cooley, Crouse, Zucker, Guenther, Bjugstad.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
1694785064126.png

Last edited:

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
No, I'll be surprised if that happens. If anyone it's Keller, but it's not him either. No C to begin the season, and doesn't sound like during the season either. Last I heard AT said they had 22 guys who are Captain material. That said I think most of us agree if/when they do announce one this season, there are 2 potential captains....and if anyone else we'll all be surprised.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dominant was the wrong word. Soderstrom has never shown he’s too good for any lower level. I’m Suggesting he EARN a spot through his own performance. As in a body of work.
Isn't that what training camp is all about? BA praised his play last year saying he was our best player in Tucson. Being selected to go to Australia I think kind of shows what management think of him as well. It's going to be a very big training camp for him.

Reactions: PainForShane

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Isn't that what training camp is all about? BA praised his play last year saying he was our best player in Tucson. Being selected to go to Australia I think kind of shows what management think of him as well. It's going to be a very big training camp for him.
Good points.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
No, I'll be surprised if that happens. If anyone it's Keller, but it's not him either. No C to begin the season, and doesn't sound like during the season either. Last I heard AT said they had 22 guys who are Captain material. That said I think most of us agree if/when they do announce one this season, there are 2 potential captains....and if anyone else we'll all be surprised.
Yeah we’ll see I guess. I would be surprised if there’s no captain announced personally. AT has been here two years now plus this next training camp. He has a new contract extension. I don’t see what he would be waiting for at this point. Crouse seems to be captain material. Not that Keller isn’t, he’s just more quiet and I feel like is a perfect “A.” I think the last thing you’d want to do after him having a career year offensively is put the pressure of having the “C” on him. Let him be the first alternate and just keep rolling.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I think for the captaincy they’re gonna let the locker room decide when and who. This is a big season with core pieces Cooley, Guenther, and hopefully Soderstrom establishing themselves full time so maybe their input will be taken into consideration as well.

I think it’s Crouse, but also weirdly don’t sleep on Hayton? If he takes another step this year I feel he could be captain material.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have mentioned this before. Hayton has already worn the C for Tourigny once before.
I think Hayton still has a lot to prove before they would ever consider him for the C. There's still very much a concern that we witnessed a flash in the pan rather than a turning of the corner. I'm super hopeful it's the latter but this season will be a big one for Hayton. Consistency makes all the difference!

2022 Stats by Month
MonthlyGPGAPts+/-PIMHitsBlkPPGPPASHGSHAGWGSS%FOWFOLFO%TOI
October8000-848100000140.0494751.015:02
November12033-1415301000180.0736353.715:40
December15246-1421801000277.47710243.014:42
January15538012189110003514.313612053.119:00
February10257625601002306.7828648.819:34
March168917512124320114219.016014153.220:00
April6202-6442000011216.7514354.317:3

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I think Hayton still has a lot to prove before they would ever consider him for the C. There's still very much a concern that we witnessed a flash in the pan rather than a turning of the corner. I'm super hopeful it's the latter but this season will be a big one for Hayton. Consistency makes all the difference!
I’m not expecting a captain to be named this season. Probably not even next year either.

Reactions: Sinurgy

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
From those monthly splits, I think you can look at January and February and say that's his base. He might grow further but I don't see a scenario where he dips below that level of productivity for long periods.

0.6pts/game or better, with a bias towards goals (gritty ones especially).

Reactions: Grimes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think for the captaincy they’re gonna let the locker room decide when and who. This is a big season with core pieces Cooley, Guenther, and hopefully Soderstrom establishing themselves full time so maybe their input will be taken into consideration as well.

I think it’s Crouse, but also weirdly don’t sleep on Hayton? If he takes another step this year I feel he could be captain material.
No, you can sleep on Hayton. As long as you have Keller, Crouse and now Cooley here he doesn't get the C. Maybe, just maybe an A, IF he starts to blow it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad