Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Well i hope we sign Captain Kirk of star trek 1.

But seriously, i would love to see him around.

Also would love Gabriel and Kühnhackl.
Hard working gritty guys that can play up and down the lineup?

Sign me up

(keep in mind Kühnhackl came of an injury and was only really well for the World cup, but played really well, some goes for Rieder).

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Really got some vibes with Kirk. Don't understand the talk of letting other teams talk with him. Invite him to camp, if he gives another good impression (I am sure he will), give him a contract. Arizona will be overrun with British tourists if the world ever get normal again though, so there is that. :laugh:

Reactions: Hi De Hi

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Anyone read Craig's "inconvenient truth" tweet? I agree with him. We need to hit rock bottom before we can climb past being a bubble team. I've been saying this for quite a while. Sucks. So I continue to believe that we have to gut the core.

Reactions: KG

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Anyone read Craig's "inconvenient truth" tweet? I agree with him. We need to hit rock bottom before we can climb past being a bubble team. I've been saying this for quite a while. Sucks. So I continue to believe that we have to gut the core.
Completely disagree. Look at the 4 teams left. TB is the only team left that is built from drafting high with Hedman and Stamkos.

The Isles best player was drafted 16th overall. The player they got from bottoming out walked away and they've been better off.

Montreal got Kotkaniemi high in the draft but he isn't really an impact player that you would associate with his draft position.

Vegas was built through expansion, FA and trades.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hire a great coaching staff. Move OEL, Kuemper and Kessel. Sign some good UFAs to fill holes. Draft really well with the picks we do have. Then evaluate for another season. If the young Coyotes core and the young Roadrunners core take major steps forward, then focus on drafting well in the middle of rounds. If the young cores are equally “bleh” next season as they were last THEN go fill tank at the TDL, blow up the core and “Tire Fire for Tyler”.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Morgan's job is to create content that people want to read, and it's people like you who read it a think it's the truth.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hire a great coaching staff. Move OEL, Kuemper and Kessel. Sign some good UFAs to fill holes. Draft really well with the picks we do have. Then evaluate for another season. If the young Coyotes core and the young Roadrunners core take major steps forward, then focus on drafting well in the middle of rounds. If the young cores are equally “bleh” next season as they were last THEN go fill tank at the TDL, blow up the core and “Tire Fire for Tyler”.
I don't move OEL or Kuemper unless I get great value for them. IF you trade those two for less than great value, you may as well gut the team and start over. I wonder if Chychrun is watching the Buffalo fiasco to see if Eichel get's traded. IF we don't see marked improvement next year Chick might do the same thing. If you think us fans are tired of this BS year after year how do you think the players feel? It's going to be interesting to see what Garland signs for and how long. I said it before and I will say it again, but if I was OEL I would welcome a trade.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Morgan's job is to create content that people want to read, and it's people like you who read it a think it's the truth.
Actually, looking back at previous posts, I think that Craig stole the idea of gutting the team and rebuilding from me!:D

Maybe I'm the Craig whisperer.:naughty:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Here's what will happen if we sell everyone off for the 23 and 24 drafts: We'll lose both lotteries and draft outside the top three. One of the two players we draft will be a bust and all we'll have to show for it is the same shitty product we've had for most of the last 20 years.

We had our chance to suck and go after McDavid and Matthews. We had no owner or budget and a perfect opportunity to secure the worst record in the league for about a 5 year span. Tippett f***ed that up by winning the most meaningless games in NHL history by playing scrap heap vets instead of at least giving us the opportunity to enjoy watching some prospects. That was proof the hockey gods (and Dave f***ing Tippett) will never let us draft a generational player. I'd rather they work towards having a team that is a franchise center away from being a contender and throw everything at Matthews. That probably won't work either but maybe we'll have a little better hockey to watch along the way.

rt

May 13, 2004
Whoa. Old man brian-fart. LOL. Tyler Wright? That's old school. I mean "shame for Shane"

rt

May 13, 2004
I feel like Chychrun, Keller and Crouse are comfortably in the camp with Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, Maccelli, and Prosvetov. And this is the group that still fits with Shane Wright or Brad Lambert, if it comes to that.

OEL, Kessel, and Kuemper are the obvious guys to try to move for assets. They make no sense for our timeline, even the most optimistic of timelines. It would be dumb to keep any of them, if we can get a someone decent future asset for any of them. If we can get anything meaningful at all for any of them, they gotta go. Regardless of the rest of the plan.

The head-scratchers are Dvorak, Schmaltz and Garland. All 25 years old, and don't really fit a Wright/Lambert/Bedard kind of timeline. I think these four are the key to the master plan. It's not so obvious what to do with these guys as it is with the two groups described above (keep the young ones, ditch the old ones).

For me, I think I'd hang onto this group and evaluate between now and the TDL. The fate of these three 25 year-olds depends not only on their performance, but the performance of that first group. If the young Phoenix trio is disappointing next season and/or the performance of the Tucson five is disappointing next season, and it's clear that the reinforcements to this 25 year old core just aren't going to be good enough, it's probably time to trade all four of the 25 year old group. Maximize returns and officially "rebuild" and/or "tank".

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
Coaching Hires:
1. Todd Nelson (HC)
2. Ben Simon (AC, F/PP)
3. Jacques Martin (AC, D/PK)

Trades:
1. Kuemper for Jarry+2nd
2. OEL for Myers+2nd
3. Kessel(50%) for Yandle(50%)+2nd

UFA:
1. Blake Coleman, 3yrs, 17mil
2. Jamie Oleksiak, 3yrs, 14mil
3. Barclay Goodrow, 3yrs, 11mil
4. Jani Hakanpaa, 3yrs, 8mil
5. Kurtis Gabriel, 3yrs, 4mil

Keller-Dvorak-Coleman
Bunting-Schmaltz-Garland
Goodrow-Jenik-Jaskin
Crouse-Larsson-Pitlick
Gabriel

Chychrun-Myers
Oleksiak-Hakanpaa
Yandle-Lyubushkin
Provolnev

Hill/Jarry
Jarry/Hill

---

If the team sucks, trade Coleman, Oleksiak, Goodrow, Hakanpaa, and Gabriel at the deadline.

If the youngsters don't progress, trade Dvorak, Schmaltz, and Garland in the off-season/draft.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I feel like Chychrun, Keller and Crouse are comfortably in the camp with Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, Maccelli, and Prosvetov. And this is the group that still fits with Shane Wright or Brad Lambert, if it comes to that.

OEL, Kessel, and Kuemper are the obvious guys to try to move for assets. They make no sense for our timeline, even the most optimistic of timelines. It would be dumb to keep any of them, if we can get a someone decent future asset for any of them. If we can get anything meaningful at all for any of them, they gotta go. Regardless of the rest of the plan.

The head-scratchers are Dvorak, Schmaltz and Garland. All 25 years old, and don't really fit a Wright/Lambert/Bedard kind of timeline. I think these four are the key to the master plan. It's not so obvious what to do with these guys as it is with the two groups described above (keep the young ones, ditch the old ones).

For me, I think I'd hang onto this group and evaluate between now and the TDL. The fate of these three 25 year-olds depends not only on their performance, but the performance of that first group. If the young Phoenix trio is disappointing next season and/or the performance of the Tucson five is disappointing next season, and it's clear that the reinforcements to this 25 year old core just aren't going to be good enough, it's probably time to trade all four of the 25 year old group. Maximize returns and officially "rebuild" and/or "tank".

Solid two-way centers who put up goals quietly can have long careers. Look at the Staals or even W Karlsson to a lesser extent. If Dvo is your 3C, that is a fantastic problem to have. If he is your 2C it may not be ideal but he will still be useful for another 5+ years.

Garland may be the type of guy who just never quits and never slows down. He could also be two injuries away from becoming a fridge specialty guy like Rieder. If we aren't in playoff contention by next deadline it may be worth exploring options to move him. Schmaltz feels like he will peak the next 2-3 seasons and I feel the same about him as I do Garland (although I love Garland waaaaaay more as a player).

Kuemper, Kessel and OEL to start recouping assets and keep churning the roster now. Garland, Schmaltz and Bunting is we are out of the playoff by Jan 25. Pray for some lotto luck (ha!) Or be ready to sign Matthews in three years. We need players to supplement him so I'm not in favor of going scorched earth.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
A two year tank-a-thon!!!!!

Yeah, before I even opened the article it was completely predictable - Craig's a Chicago fan first, and being a fan for one of the two teams for which the "tanking" "worked" (the other being of course Pittsburgh), it's only natural that he supports the myth that tank + draft is the only way to go. The difference now is of course that the guarantee isn't there, and it's even worse since the year OEL won that game against Buffalo to blow our chances at Eichel (see? all you pro-tank Moss-haters can now correctly direct your hate at OEL, where it should have been all along!)

So, we're stuck in purgatory. We'll never be bad AND lucky enough to win a lottery, and never good enough to go deep into the playoffs. But hope springs eternal in the human heart, everyone's tied on Opening Day....

Reactions: RemoAZ and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Don't go into the season to tank. Not with how the lottery works now.

Try to compete and if we're shit by Christmas start selling off and try to improve your odds at that point.

Carolina, Philly and Dallas all just missed the playoffs the year they won a lotto to grab Schevnikov, Heiskanen and Patrick (well that one didn't help all that much). This franchise does better when the odds are stacked against them anyways, so maybe just once we can get lucky when we absolutely shouldn't be a lotto favorite.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Carolina, Philly and Dallas all just missed the playoffs the year they won a lotto to grab Schevnikov, Heiskanen and Patrick (well that one didn't help all that much). This franchise does better when the odds are stacked against them anyways, so maybe just once we can get lucky when we absolutely shouldn't be a lotto favorite.
I believe there’s a limit on how many spots you can move up now.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I believe there’s a limit on how many spots you can move up now.

There is, and iirc it didn't affect any of the teams I listed. I made a post revisiting who we potentially could have picked if the rule was already in place the past couple drafts and I believe @hbk corrected me that the teams I was thought would have been ineligible actually were still in the pick range. I'd have to revisit this though

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Here's what will happen if we sell everyone off for the 23 and 24 drafts: We'll lose both lotteries and draft outside the top three. One of the two players we draft will be a bust and all we'll have to show for it is the same shitty product we've had for most of the last 20 years.

We had our chance to suck and go after McDavid and Matthews. We had no owner or budget and a perfect opportunity to secure the worst record in the league for about a 5 year span. Tippett f***ed that up by winning the most meaningless games in NHL history by playing scrap heap vets instead of at least giving us the opportunity to enjoy watching some prospects. That was proof the hockey gods (and Dave f***ing Tippett) will never let us draft a generational player. I'd rather they work towards having a team that is a franchise center away from being a contender and throw everything at Matthews. That probably won't work either but maybe we'll have a little better hockey to watch along the way.
Sorry but that epic fail was on Maloney, not Tippet. Sure Tippet should've finished sinking the ship but it's on DM for leaving it afloat. I'm a big DM fan but he had a f***ing beachball sitting on the tee and still totally whiffed. The final year tanking was actually a sure thing, DM could've basically GUARANTEED one of McDavid or Eichel but he blew it, absolutely blew it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sorry but that epic fail was on Maloney, not Tippet. Sure Tippet should've finished sinking the ship but it's on DM for leaving it afloat. I'm a big DM fan but he had a f***ing beachball sitting on the tee and still totally whiffed. The final year tanking was actually a sure thing, DM could've basically GUARANTEED one of McDavid or Eichel but he blew it, absolutely blew it.
What more should he have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad