Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is similar to how I feel about this Yotes roster. Love some of the core pieces… but need some trades and player development to pan out…. As does every Cup contending team
Forget about the roster for a minute, but we need a coach, not any coach, but a very very good coach. This is the most important part of the puzzle.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman says he suspects, like Dougie Hamilton, the Sharks will let pending UFA Kurtis Gabriel talk to clubs ahead of UFA.

I hope we put in a call.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
A little “woah” from left field:
31 Thoughts: How Stanley Cup Playoffs could affect the blueliner market - Sportsnet.ca
15. Philadelphia’s got a lot of balls in the air. I figured they’d be in on Hamilton, but, as mentioned above, he doesn’t appears to be their top target. I’m speculating here, but my guesses would include Seth Jones and Matt Dumba (who GM Chuck Fletcher knows very well). It also wouldn’t be a shocker if they have asked the Coyotes about 2019 first-rounder Victor Soderstrom. The Flyers liked him at that draft, and Arizona actually flipped picks with them to move up and take the Swedish defenceman.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
This is so strange. Hopefully it is just that they have asked, it wouldn't make sense for us to move any of our defensive prospects. This makes me feel uneasy, but I'll try not to put too much weight onto it.

I know that Friedman gets a bad rap for speculating a lot, but he usually doesn’t throw out specific names unless there’s at least whispers about a player. Philly can ask all they want, but we have no incentive to move him, so we have the upper hand. If they want to blow us away, I’m all ears.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
If we lose Kirk, I’ll be as upset as I was when we lost Letunov. No offense to either player, but I’m not sure the impact will be as big as we may think.
Yea not worried.

Would I like to see what he can do in the AHL? Sure...but I wont lose any sleep if he is moved.

Reactions: Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
You know what?

Steering us in a new direction I wouldn't mind if we signed Karl Alzner for the league minimum for a year or two. He's 32 (about the same age as Ness who is 31) and has quite a bit to prove. And I have a lot more faith in him than Aaron Ness as our third pair LD.

Then you have:

OEL -- ?? (maybe Demers)
Chychrun -- ?? (hopefully Hakanpaa!!!!)
Alzner / Capo -- Bush / Soderstrom

You've saved just over 10m in cap space because Goose and Hammer are gone, bump that up to ~$15m if we let Raanta walk (don't necessarily think that's a good idea, Adin Hill has consistently failed my eye test but I definitely am in the minority here). Cap space is good and you can maybe use that for more draft picks depending on the team's performance. And you don't have to rush the young guys.

Regardless, Army's first real chance to put an impact on this team is in how he addresses our UFA defensemen. Let's see how he does good luck BA!

Last edited:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I just wish we would be the team behind the 7th rounder success story for once if Kirk ends up turning into anything, which I honestly think he has a solid chance to.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Friedman says he suspects, like Dougie Hamilton, the Sharks will let pending UFA Kurtis Gabriel talk to clubs ahead of UFA.

I hope we put in a call.
I hope GMBA is all over this. Gabriel would be a great addition. He’s had a rough story and shown incredible resilience.

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Because someone might be willing to overpay on a count of "recency bias"

I don't think anyone is overpaying for anything. Its got to be as simple as:

Kirk has contract offers from European leagues, likely the Liiga, Maybe the NLA.
Kirk wants to play in North America. He does not have the history or clout to get a North American out-clause in contract negotiations with European leagues.
GMBA is not willing to give him a contract at this point - probably never paid any attention to him outside the World Championships. Nobody in this organization has any history with Kirk. The whole staff has turned over in the last year and a half.
Kirk needs to commit to European offer before time Coyotes Vet camp starts - no chance to earn a North American contract before Liiga starts.
Coyotes doing Kirk a solid by allowing him to see if any other teams will sign him to a contract now.

We won't be getting much more than another unsigned draft pick in a Kirk trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad