Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we hire a coaching staff I like, and we are able to get a good asset for Kessel (say equivalent to a pick in the 20-40 range), and we are able to move OEL without taking a massively terrible contract in return, I'll be a pretty happy camper.

I've wanted to "Fire Everyone & Trade Everyone" since January of 2020 and this wouldn't technically qualify but...

Out:
Chayka
Sullivan
Goldberg
Hofford
Tocchet
Housley
MacLean
OEL
Kessel
Stepan
Goligoski
Hjalmarsson
Demers

^is pretty damn close to "Fire Everyone & Trade Everyone"...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If we hire a coaching staff I like, and we are able to get a good asset for Kessel (say equivalent to a pick in the 20-40 range), and we are able to move OEL without taking a massively terrible contract in return, I'll be a pretty happy camper.

I've wanted to "Fire Everyone & Trade Everyone" since January of 2020 and this wouldn't technically qualify but...

Out:
Chayka
Sullivan
Goldberg
Hofford
Tocchet
Housley
MacLean
OEL
Kessel
Stepan
Goligoski
Hjalmarsson
Demers

What's insane about that list is how quickly Chayka created new cores. Our blueline has largely been the same since 2017. It was a pretty damn good core too, but out forward group wasn't. By the time our forward group really started gelling our blueline started again out and Goligoski was the best of the Hammer, Demers and Goose pickups.

Stepan was really supposed to help bring in the kids. He looked and played fantastically with Keller year one and just was never the same. Was great as a shutdown center at some point but that didn't stop RT from giving him top minutes.

Chayka has a lot of good ideas. I feel like he was impatient and rushed to make too many roster moves whenever any of his didn't work out like his spreadsheet said it would.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Out:
Chayka
Sullivan
Goldberg
Hofford
Tocchet
Housley
MacLean
OEL
Kessel
Stepan
Goligoski
Hjalmarsson
Demers

I think if we get rid of Goose/Demers/Hjam and OEL, we will lead the in GAA at 4+ per game easily. Our biggest problem is we have only 2 top 4D in OEL/Chych. We need 2 top 2 RHDs. If we move OEL, we now need 3 top 4D. OEL isn't waving anyway, and priority #1 for BA should be picking up a top 4 RHD. BA isn't foolish enough to think Soderstrom is ready for top 4 minutes, that would be like counting on DVO to be a 1C and Hayton a 2C next year. Those are giant leaps for all 3 players. I don't think we can trade for Eichel without giving up Soderstrom/DVO and parts.

BA needs to land a top 4 RHD and I'll be mostly happy with our off season. BA will bring in other character guys maybe move small parts for big parts. We mostly have to count on young guys getting better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think if we get rid of Goose/Demers/Hjam and OEL, we will lead the in GAA at 4+ per game easily. Our biggest problem is we have only 2 top 4D in OEL/Chych. We need 2 top 2 RHDs. If we move OEL, we now need 3 top 4D. OEL isn't waving anyway, and priority #1 for BA should be picking up a top 4 RHD. BA isn't foolish enough to think Soderstrom is ready for top 4 minutes, that would be like counting on DVO to be a 1C and Hayton a 2C next year. Those are giant leaps for all 3 players. I don't think we can trade for Eichel without giving up Soderstrom/DVO and parts.

BA needs to land a top 4 RHD and I'll be mostly happy with our off season. BA will bring in other character guys maybe move small parts for big parts. We mostly have to count on young guys getting better.
I agree. BA already said most of the team will be returning, so Gogo might get a one or two year deal and BA adds a RD like you said. BA knows we need to get bigger and said as much when he said "we can't have Keller, Garland and OEL getting slapped around". With a new coach the players can't hide any longer and will give us a better understanding of our talent. As far as Eichel is concerned we don't have the assets for such a trade unless we gut our team.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Watching the Florida/Tampa game last night makes me really want BA to go after Savard. Exactly the type of physical dman this team needs.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, trading OEL likely means needing a lesser defenseman back in the deal which really kills the value of a trade. Downgrading in talent to get a few dollars which we'd probably waste.

Soderstrom looked really good at the end but I think I saw a stat somewhere that showed he started 80% of his shifts in the o-zone. I did like the defensive understanding he built up with OEL very quickly.

I'm hoping BA can land two defensive dmen with quality NHL experience and arent named Goligoski. Lyubushkin needs to go back on the third pairing (maybe with Provolnev).

rt

May 13, 2004
The Islanders gave up the 2nd fewest goals of any team in the NHL. They were only 20th in goals scored, however.

They’re also in a bit of an expansion pickle where they can only protect one of Mayfield or Leddy.

How about Kessel with additional retention for Scott Mayfield. He’s a big 6’5 225lb RHS defenseman who’s a willing fighter but can eat up a lot of minutes. He was top four in EV TOI/GP and overall TOI/GP for the islanders D this year and #1 in PK TOI/GP.

Mayfield is a 28 year old who was born and raised in St Louis and has two years remaining on his contract at 1.45aav.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe sign Nemeth and Kulikov as UFAs:

DeBrusk-Dvorak-Keller
Bunting-Schmaltz-Garland
Crouse-Hayton/Jenik-Pitlick
Jenik/Hayton-Larsson-Jaskin
Gabriel

Chychrun-Mayfield
Kulikov-Lyubushkin
Nemeth-Soderstrom
Provolnev

Kuemper
Hill

rt

May 13, 2004
I like DeBrusk as a buy-low target. I liked him way better than Virtanen last year (I was the minority) and I still want to add him now.

He’s had a TERRIBLE season and has really been struggling to find his mojo. I really loved his game before. He plays with such high energy and passion (before this season). He’s not “tough” per se and isn’t running anyone over or dropping the gloves. But he just exudes a love for the game and for scoring goals and making plays. He always seemed fired up to me and it always seemed contagious.

He’s lost it. But if he can find it again, maybe with a change of scenery and a new coach, he’d be a hell of an addition. For our vanilla ass team that’s usually way too passive and quiet, I think a fiery, demonstrative, vocal guy like DeBrusk could really make an impact, outside of scoring goals.

Love the idea of him on a line with the emotionless robots that are Dvorak and Keller. Maybe he can bring some flash and color to their dim, black and white world.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
1. OEL to BOS for DeBrusk
2. Kessel to NYI for Mayfield
Although a few weeks from officially becoming Leaf's GM it has been thought since day 1 that Lou's first move was getting rid of Kessel. I doubt he wants him back.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Although a few weeks from officially becoming Leaf's GM it has been thought since day 1 that Lou's first move was getting rid of Kessel. I doubt he wants him back.
Kessel was a foundational piece with a tremendous amount of trade value. A key building block and a decision needed to be made whether writing the long term future of the team, whether or not Kessel should continue to be featured heavily as a main character.

Wholly different scenario when you’re talking a deeply discounted Kessel with max retention as a hired gun for a single season where you need more goals. We’re taking role player for role player. With expansion looming. It’s completely different scenario.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Watching the Florida/Tampa game last night makes me really want BA to go after Savard. Exactly the type of physical dman this team needs.
Saved would be my #1 D target now that Larsson will be resigning in Edmonton. Perfect partner for Chychrun or OEL.

rt

May 13, 2004
Saved would be my #1 D target now that Larsson will be resigning in Edmonton. Perfect partner for Chychrun or OEL.
Savard for Chychrun and Nemeth for Soderstrom. OEL can go play somewhere else! haha. Maybe Kulikov for Lyubushkin. Puck mover and stay at homer on each pair. Sorted by native tongue. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->