Signing(s): Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as head coach

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
McCarthy had Rogers..Let's hope Dak is good enough. Unlike Garret, he won't be treated like he is Jerry's son.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Since when is defense not the responsibility off the head coach?

It usually isn’t ever if your head coach has an offensive background, coordinators have been changed a number of times.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It usually isn’t ever if your head coach has an offensive background, coordinators have been changed a number of times.

I couldn't disagree with this more. A HC is in charge of the whole team and the buck stops with him. He can delegate as little or as much as he wants, but he's in charge of the whole team.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Payton and Brees have been burned by a lot of bad defenses. Like, historically bad.
I see it another way
Saints are averaging 22 points per game in the playoffs in their last 6 playoff games, not great
Green Bay, for comparison, is averaging 27 ppg over their last 6 playoff games

Nearly everyone would point at the Saints as one of the league's best offenses over the last decade+, but they haven't been very good in the playoffs recently at all.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I see it another way
Saints are averaging 22 points per game in the playoffs in their last 6 playoff games, not great
Green Bay, for comparison, is averaging 27 ppg over their last 6 playoff games

Nearly everyone would point at the Saints as one of the league's best offenses over the last decade+, but they haven't been very good in the playoffs recently at all.
Yes, that is the case now with Brees older and not putting up pinball numbers because they were using their running game more efficiently. But he has had playoff clunkers the past few years. Remember, they looked terrible in the game in Minnesota for the better part of 3 quarters before getting the lead and blowing it, slow to start against the Eagles, and not as efficient against the Rams.

I couldn't disagree with this more. A HC is in charge of the whole team and the buck stops with him. He can delegate as little or as much as he wants, but he's in charge of the whole team.
He is, and he's changed the coordinator numerous times and leaves the defense to him and leaves the players to him. The common denominator in the extended periods of success the Saints have had is Dennis Allen being part of the staff.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This hire has been an absolute disaster, and it's hard to see McCarthy lasting much longer in Dallas. Just doesn't seem to be able to rally this team together at all.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The one thing I admire about Jerry Jones is that he is also a big fan of the game. And like regular fans we want to see our team be competive by doing whatever is necessary to win. Hiring the big fish and spending large amounts of cash on free agents and a new stadium is not even second nature. But sometimes the fan favorite can lead to problems. Such is the drafting of CeeDee Lamb. Yes he is going to be great and the value was probably too good to pass up (I was shocked he was still on the board) but it was never a team need. Jerry like us loves drafting name players from big schools who produced mightily. But
Dallas Defense is god awful. And every fan including myself won't question bringing in the sexy names at the sexy positions but sometimes it's better to take the Quentin Nelson's of the world.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Marvin Lewis claimed he didn't get a fair shot.. he had a really long run in Cincy with very little success.

Lewis (head) coached 16 consecutive seasons without a single playoff win. It's basically an unprecedented level of futility in modern football. But he's complaining about being treated unfairly (?) If anything, I believe Lewis benefitted more from institutional sympathy, than institutional discrimination.. but, who knows.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mad Dog had a great point last week.... there was a perfectly great coach down the road in Waco that Jones should have hired. Not sure how much McGarthy is getting paid but I've heard that Jones did not want to give Rhule the deal the Panthers gave him.

member 157595

Mad Dog had a great point last week.... there was a perfectly great coach down the road in Waco that Jones should have hired. Not sure how much McGarthy is getting paid but I've heard that Jones did not want to give Rhule the deal the Panthers gave him.

Rhule wanted more control than Jones was willing to give, most likely.

Jerry Jones would rather lose while in control than win and someone else get the credit.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Anything to deflect blame off of the one guy that is the real reason why this team sucks.

I'm not defending McCarthy but the undead Palpatine in the owner's box is the real problem.
Yes. But I would argue hiring of the Fat Man IS one of the symptoms of the disease.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Mike Nolan needs to go. The defence shouldn’t be as bad as they are, they should be more average.

I’d give MM another chance. Pretty much everything that could go wrong for the Cowboys, has.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The players are complaining that coach lost the lockeroom. Since they are anonymous it seems cowardly.
After those comments, the Cowboys got rid of a couple of those malcontents, looked like they were getting better for a couple of weeks, and then completely started melting down. The defense is in full quit mode in ways I haven’t seen since the Cowboys quit on Wade Phillips.

I’m guessing the Cowboys will fire Nolan, use their first couple of picks to help the defense, will point to getting a few guys back healthy next season, and will again declare themselves Super Bowl contenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad