Signing(s): Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as head coach

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Based on some of his low key playoff chokes, he sure is trending that way by Payton. But in all seriousness they are two different situations too. Payton went to a place where it was a terrible franchise and has turned them into good one. He took a player in Brees who was decent and made him great. McCarthy on the other hand walked into a franchise that was known for excellence and inherited Favre and Rodgers.

Tell me how this a good hire? I just don't see it.
If Payton is a bad coach...

That raises the question of who IS a good coach?

And of course, who is a good coach that is available?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If Payton is a bad coach...

That raises the question of who IS a good coach?

And of course, who is a good coach that is available?
Payton is not a bad coach, he is a good coach just with some terrible headsratching playoff losses. Like the loss yesterday was shocking to me. Not that McCarthy doesn't have any of them see the Giants playoff game.

I would not classify McCarthy as a bad coach, just don't see how this changes much.

Reactions: Voight

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Based on some of his low key playoff chokes, he sure is trending that way by Payton. But in all seriousness they are two different situations too. Payton went to a place where it was a terrible franchise and has turned them into good one. He took a player in Brees who was decent and made him great. McCarthy on the other hand walked into a franchise that was known for excellence and inherited Favre and Rodgers.

Tell me how this a good hire? I just don't see it.

I'll give you that GB had a better track record and organizational history but why is it that Payton gets credit for Brees and McCarthy doesn't for Rodgers? I don't follow that logic at all. Brees had some success in SD prior to going to NO. Rodgers, until last year only played for McCarthy. Was Rodgers better without McCarthy this year?
McCarthy is absolutely awful and cost the Packers multiple games in the playoffs with his horrendous play calling and game management.

andy-reid-kool-aid-2.gif

Someone call me? (To be fair, I do think Reid is a better coach).

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a good hire or not, time will tell. I'm just pushing back on the "he sucks" narrative because I think that's way to harsh. There's a lot of space in between he's a great coach and he's a terrible coach, which is what I'm pointing out. Only one coach going has multiple super bowl wins right now. So does every other coach suck if he's had a great QB? I don't think you can have the success that McCarthy (Carroll, Tomlin, Payton, Reid as well) had and be a bad coach. That doesn't mean there weren't bad moments or bad losses along the way as there clearly were. No one is arguing he's Belichick, but several people seem to be saying he sucks, because he's not Belichick (only 1 SB), which makes no sense to me.

This feels like a case were everyone seems to prefer the mystery box to a known commodity that is solid if not spectacular.

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
I always feel like McCarthy gets a worse rap than really deserved. He had the pack as a playoff lock for a solid 8 seasons, won his division 6 times, and won a Super Bowl. Sure things got sour toward the end, but that's just the way of the NFL. Think he might be able to stabilize things for Dallas. Just a matter of how he will work with Jerry Jones.

People rag on him but I still think he's a much better hire than Ron Rivera, who I see as a mediocre coach. I thought he was the best candidate for the Browns job, now its looking more and more like McDaniels or Stefanski :help:

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Rodgers certainly got along better and saw eye to eye more with LaFleur.

Plus he finally had a run game under LaFleur.

Which begs the question, what happened to the run game in Green Bay in the latter years of the McCarthey era?

It seemed like Rogers was just gunslinging the ball every chance he got.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I'll give you that GB had a better track record and organizational history but why is it that Payton gets credit for Brees and McCarthy doesn't for Rodgers? I don't follow that logic at all. Brees had some success in SD prior to going to NO. Rodgers, until last year only played for McCarthy. Was Rodgers better without McCarthy this year?

Brees was good in 2004, but remember there was a reason the Chargers drafted Rivers. They didn't think he was the guy and until then he hadn't shown anything. He was ok in 2005 but he got hurt his final game against Denver and the rest is history. He signed in New Orleans and became great.

Yes, Rodgers did have his best years under him but to be fair this year is the only year where he was the starter where McCarthy wasn't the coach. Maybe he was a large part to why Rodgers was so great, but for now we don't have enough of a sample size and tbh Rodgers physical traits has nothing to do with coaching. Most thought he would become great and that is what made him fall in the draft even more confusing. Just going to have to wait a year or two for this hire to see how it eventually ends up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Which begs the question, what happened to the run game in Green Bay in the latter years of the McCarthey era?

It seemed like Rogers was just gunslinging the ball every chance he got.

McCarthy didn't have great running backs for a lot of his tenure, but when he finally did.. he refused to use them. Instead, he would call a wide receiver screen on every play.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thought Jones would for sure want a headline grabbing name like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley but maybe those guys wanted too much control :dunno:

Or he wanted someone with NFL experience.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
So far it’s looking like the dream team for coaching staff in Dallas this year - super excited. Should win the division and probably have 10-11 wins.

Oct 18, 2011
Jerry has to go, they didn't even conduct a real f***ing coaching search, it's obvious Marvin Lewis was only interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule. McCarthy can do all the talking he wants, but at the end, the vast majority of coaches do not change, they stick with what they've always done and he's going to be known as the guy that wasted the prime of Aaron Rodgers

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Jerry has to go, they didn't even conduct a real ****ing coaching search, it's obvious Marvin Lewis was only interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule. McCarthy can do all the talking he wants, but at the end, the vast majority of coaches do not change, they stick with what they've always done and he's going to be known as the guy that wasted the prime of Aaron Rodgers

I'll ask this again. Has Sean Payton wasted Drew Brees prime? How come this is only said about McCarthy? One SB appearance and win in 13 years for both. Plenty of all time great QBs don't win multiple SB. Were all of their careers wasted?

Young (as starter)- 1
Warner -1
Farve -1
Marino -0
Kelly -0
Moon -0
Fauts -0
Brees -1

I don't think McCarthy is a great (HOF level) coach, but "only" winning one super bowl doesn't make him a bad one.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jerry has to go, they didn't even conduct a real ****ing coaching search, it's obvious Marvin Lewis was only interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule. McCarthy can do all the talking he wants, but at the end, the vast majority of coaches do not change, they stick with what they've always done and he's going to be known as the guy that wasted the prime of Aaron Rodgers
Pretty much every team other than the Patriots would beg for the kind of failure McCarthy had in Green Bay.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
"The Dream Team"

:biglaugh:

Kellen Moore as OC, and John Fassel as special teams coordinator with Mike McCarthy as HC and hiring a 14-man analytical department has me sooo excited. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect 2-3 more wins, especially with how many close games the Cowboys lost last year.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Kellen Moore as OC, and John Fassel as special teams coordinator with Mike McCarthy as HC and hiring a 14-man analytical department has me sooo excited. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect 2-3 more wins, especially with how many close games the Cowboys lost last year.
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 2-3 more wins because the Cowboys have a very talented roster and terribly underachieved under a shitty coach in Jason Garrett.

I just think calling McCarthy the HC of a 'Dream Team' of coaches is absolutely insane. The guy was ran out of town by the end of his time in GB. He did have some success with arguably the greatest QB of his generation, and if he can adapt I think he could be successful again, but he is not someone I would think is even close to being a dream HC. He will not be successful unless he has changed since his last go around, which to be fair, he very well may have.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 2-3 more wins because the Cowboys have a very talented roster and terribly underachieved under a ****ty coach in Jason Garrett.

I just think calling McCarthy the HC of a 'Dream Team' of coaches is absolutely insane. The guy was ran out of town by the end of his time in GB. He did have some success with arguably the greatest QB of his generation, and if he can adapt I think he could be successful again, but he is not someone I would think is even close to being a dream HC. He will not be successful unless he has changed since his last go around, which to be fair, he very well may have.

He, himself, isn’t a dream head coach, but I think the Cowboys are making all the right moves. He had a pretty successful record during his tenure in GB, with a Super Bowl win to top it off. Just like every coach, he hit his expiry date. He seems, so far, like he spent a year trying to improve himself as a coach and as a student of football. I just like the hire, along with all the other hires.

Reactions: fin8

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'll ask this again. Has Sean Payton wasted Drew Brees prime? How come this is only said about McCarthy? One SB appearance and win in 13 years for both. Plenty of all time great QBs don't win multiple SB. Were all of their careers wasted?

Young (as starter)- 1
Warner -1
Farve -1
Marino -0
Kelly -0
Moon -0
Fauts -0
Brees -1

I don't think McCarthy is a great (HOF level) coach, but "only" winning one super bowl doesn't make him a bad one.

Payton and Brees have been burned by a lot of bad defenses. Like, historically bad. Since Payton has been there, the Saints have made the playoffs every year they've been at least 25th(!!) in total defense, except for 2008 (they were last in the division at 8-8). There was a run of 3 in 4 years where they were 31st or 32nd

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Payton and Brees have been burned by a lot of bad defenses. Like, historically bad. Since Payton has been there, the Saints have made the playoffs every year they've been at least 25th(!!) in total defense, except for 2008 (they were last in the division at 8-8). There was a run of 3 in 4 years where they were 31st or 32nd

This is somewhat true of Green Bay, as well, though. Even when they won the Superbowl, the defense wasn't great.. it was opportunistic on turn-overs and Matthews was insane.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is somewhat true of Green Bay, as well, though. Even when they won the Superbowl, the defense wasn't great.. it was opportunistic on turn-overs and Matthews was insane.
Saints had Darren Sharper get 9 interceptions on his own. Opportunistic defenses typically means more lucky and less good. When the Packers won the Super Bowl they were 5th in total defense and 2nd in points, while the Saints the year before were 25th and 20th. Their defense was actually way better the next year.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Since when is defense not the responsibility off the head coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad