Signing(s): Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as head coach

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This hire has been an absolute disaster, and it's hard to see McCarthy lasting much longer in Dallas. Just doesn't seem to be able to rally this team together at all.

A year later the Cowboys head into today's game with chance to be 10-4 and are safe bet to win NFC East and be in hunt for #1 seed for rest of season

Mike McCarthy Coach of the Year? He certainly has case

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Excellent hire this. Too many mistakes on Sunday to even go over. The one I keep on lauging at is after the successful fake punt they leave them out there, then bring their offense on the field and then get a delay of game. they could have used those 20 seconds or so.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
It really doesn’t matter who coaches this team. Dallas might be the hardest place to win a SuperBowl just on the constant media and fan polarization. The distractions come from every angle, win or lose. No other team is more scrutinized. Not even close. As a fan, I love it. That being said, I think mike won’t be back next season.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
It really doesn’t matter who coaches this team. Dallas might be the hardest place to win a SuperBowl just on the constant media and fan polarization. The distractions come from every angle, win or lose. No other team is more scrutinized. Not even close. As a fan, I love it. That being said, I think mike won’t be back next season.
He will be back.
Jerry would have to admit he made the wrong hire if McCarty is fired.
As far as being scrutinize and media , Dallas is up there but NY and Philly have to be worse due to east coasters being ass holes in general , I can say this being a New Englander growing up.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
As a Cowboys fan, I’m indifferent to MM. I find it a little funny that he’s getting all the scrutiny for the bad play calls, yet when the Cowboys were 6-1, he was getting no credit for the play calls.

The biggest problem on the coaching staff is Kellen Moore, but McCarthy is just kind of…there. I’m not sure he’ll be back.

Excellent hire this. Too many mistakes on Sunday to even go over. The one I keep on lauging at is after the successful fake punt they leave them out there, then bring their offense on the field and then get a delay of game. they could have used those 20 seconds or so.

This play?

He tried to bait the 49ers into bad coverage/a timeout, it didn’t work so he sent the offense out with more than enough time to snap the ball, and then the ref literally didn’t let them snap the ball lol

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
As a Cowboys fan, I’m indifferent to MM. I find it a little funny that he’s getting all the scrutiny for the bad play calls, yet when the Cowboys were 6-1, he was getting no credit for the play calls.

The biggest problem on the coaching staff is Kellen Moore, but McCarthy is just kind of…there. I’m not sure he’ll be back.

This play?

He tried to bait the 49ers into bad coverage/a timeout, it didn’t work so he sent the offense out with more than enough time to snap the ball, and then the ref literally didn’t let them snap the ball lol

The whole reason this fell apart is because the Cowboys screwed it up.

It was supposed to be a fake punt, get the first down, keep the punt team on the field to prevent the 49ers from substituting, line up to run a play with the punt team, and hope to force either a 49ers timeout or running a play against an unprepared 49ers punt return unit for a nice gain.

What broke down was the Cowboys had a guy come on the field after the fake punt. That wasn't supposed to happen. You can watch Fossil holding his arms out trying to have the guys on the bench stay there. When he realizes a guy ran on, Fossils tells the guy to get back to the sideline.

That screwup allowed the 49ers to get a full substitution to get their punt return until off and the defense out there. This then caused the Cowboys to panic because they didn't want their punt unit to run a play against the 49ers defense, so the Cowboys sent their offense out there.

It was a complete screwup by the Cowboys caused by the same crappy coaching that saw them take so many dumb presnap penalties all season.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
The whole reason this fell apart is because the Cowboys screwed it up.

It was supposed to be a fake punt, get the first down, keep the punt team on the field to prevent the 49ers from substituting, line up to run a play with the punt team, and hope to force either a 49ers timeout or running a play against an unprepared 49ers punt return unit for a nice gain.

What broke down was the Cowboys had a guy come on the field after the fake punt. That wasn't supposed to happen. You can watch Fossil holding his arms out trying to have the guys on the bench stay there. When he realizes a guy ran on, Fossils tells the guy to get back to the sideline.

That screwup allowed the 49ers to get a full substitution to get their punt return until off and the defense out there. This then caused the Cowboys to panic because they didn't want their punt unit to run a play against the 49ers defense, so the Cowboys sent their offense out there.

It was a complete screwup by the Cowboys caused by the same crappy coaching that saw them take so many dumb presnap penalties all season.

I mean, that’s fine and all, but it doesn’t change the fact the Cowboys were trying to run a play for 9 seconds and the ref stood there until they got a delay of game.

I get it’s the ‘cool thing’ to trash the Cowboys for their decision, and I’ll even admit it was a dumb decision, but the ref deserves the blame here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, that’s fine and all, but it doesn’t change the fact the Cowboys were trying to run a play for 9 seconds and the ref stood there until they got a delay of game.

I get it’s the ‘cool thing’ to trash the Cowboys for their decision, and I’ll even admit it was a dumb decision, but the ref deserves the blame here.
Payton is the guy who got away. A year after he took the. o job Parcells stepped down as HC of Dallas.

Reactions: JimmyApples

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

...I nearly just choked.

Like, I know what you mean, and there's some merit to your post, but you're talking about the Dallas f***ing Cowboys...the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Say what you will about Jerry Jones but the man will spend money. A lot of sports fans would kill for that.

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad