OT: Covid-19 (Part 56) Convoy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
haha that makes no sense. all i hear on this board is complaining about 'mainstream media' but now you're saying it doesn't exist? :sarcasm: also, outside of CBC/BBC, when have large media outlets not been corporate? that's always been their nature ...

anyways, I was asking @LyricalLyricist, curious what his answer is

What makes no sense is conflating everyone on this board with the person who replied to you.

CNN was not corporate 20 years ago.
NBC was bought by Microsoft in the 90s if my memory serves me well (Gates)
Bezos buying the washington post, a few years a go. etc.

Some of us are old enough to have been in that world where the media were a pain in the ass to the powerful. They bought em.

There IS an easy fix to that, make illegal more than 0.5% ownership in a media. Done.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
What makes no sense is conflating everyone on this board with the person who replied to you.

CNN was not corporate 20 years ago.
NBC was bought by Microsoft in the 90s if my memory serves me well (Gates)
Bezos buying the washington post, a few years a go. etc.

Some of us are old enough to have been in that world where the media were a pain in the ass to the powerful. They bought em.

There IS an easy fix to that, make illegal more than 0.5% ownership in a media. Done.
sounds like your issue is not with news sources that are corporate, but news sources that are corporate with a liberal bent?

Fox News is owned by a conservative billionaire and their content reflects that. does that bother you too? they have a huge influence on US politics, so it should. you must've omitted them from your post by accident :sarcasm:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
So while everyone is already here and on the topic, can we start banding together and denounce crony capitalism?

While this is less of a problem in Canada than it is in the US, there is no denying that regulation law making is influenced by whoever backs the political party in power.

Uneven regulations that mysteriously advantage corporations over small businesses. Consumers that are taken as prey without recourse (see insurances in Ontario). No sign of any forceful effort to encourage a sustainable energy consumption model for large industries.

These are the things that make me distrustful of our rulers.

As citizens, we are all on the same side of this fight!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
sounds like your issue is not with news sources that are corporate, but news sources that are corporate with a liberal bent?

Fox News is owned by a conservative billionaire and their content reflects that. does that bother you too? they have a huge influence on US politics, so it should. you must've omitted them from your post by accident :sarcasm:

MSM = Left medias......yet most of those people are completely brainwashed by the medias from the right and that include internet as they were the one weaponizing the web politically.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Very interesting talk about the charter of rights, in relation to the covid mandates.

Let's see if we'll get an actual honest discussion out of this, or just some good ole fashionable ad hominem.

He’s 100% correct. Instead of debating the merits of what was said you’ll have posters like the one below call it a waste of time while admitting they haven’t even watched it all. Then you’ll have mob come on and like the post.

I’d love to hear any counter argument to any of the points he’s made. He’ll be called a quack, a fringe minority or whatever derogatory slur people want to label him as. Everything he said is true and only the blind cannot see it. The video will eventually be removed by a you tube intern as being misinformation even though he’s more qualified than anyone here or on you tube to talk about it.

Don’t expect an honest discussion about it. That hasn’t taken place since the pandemic began.

Reactions: Cypruss and snakeye

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s 100% correct. Instead of debating the merits of what was said you’ll have posters like the one below call it a waste of time while admitting they haven’t even watched it all. Then you’ll have mob come on and like the post.

I’d love to hear any counter argument to any of the points he’s made. He’ll be called a quack, a fringe minority or whatever derogatory slur people want to label him as. Everything he said is true and only the blind cannot see it. The video will eventually be removed by a you tube intern as being misinformation even though he’s more qualified than anyone here or on you tube to talk about it.

Don’t expect an honest discussion about it. That hasn’t taken place since the pandemic began.
I haven’t seen anyone call him a quack. He’s mounting a legal challange as is his right to do so. That’s really a legal discussion and it will be sorted out in the courts.

From a political standpoint, there’s solid support for what the government is doing in terms of mandates. Whether that holds up or not is another question entirely.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
can you show your work?

also please be careful not to conflate 'unreliable' and 'inconvenient to you'

While there are literally hundreds of examples from the past few years alone, I'll provide one for each side of the aisle, off the top of my head.

CNN's coverage of the Covington Kid. They claimed a crowd of teenagers surrounded a Native American elder and other activists and mocked them. They claimed Nick Sandmann was a racist. As someone who watched the entire few hours of video, long before CNN decided to base their "report" off of slanted tweets (which is what "journalism" is now) that's not what happened at all.

After the Black Hebrew Israelites, a group known for saying absolutely horrific things, taunted the Native Americans, they moved over to the crowd of high school kids and taunted them. Then the Native American elder walked up to Nick Sandmann and proceeded to bang a drum and yell in his face. Nick stood there calmly and smiled, which was deemed a smirk. Sandmann has since sued, won, and settled.

Fox's coverage of SB 145. Their coverage implied the bill was to allow 24yr old pedophiles to have sex with minors as young as 14 without having to be registered as sex offenders. As someone who read the entire bill, that is not what it did at all. All it did was afford the same rights to gays that were already on the books for straight people. I'd get into more details but the intricacies of the topic are not to be discussed here.

I could go on all day about fake news, as I watch live streams of events in many cases, as opposed to listening to slanted takes on what someone has based on tweets they were forwarded. I also read documents, as opposed to listening to how someone personally feels about a document. The coverage of Trump alone, each individual thing he did or said, would provide pages of stories of how the MSM, especially left-leaning sources, fabricated, twisted, or blatantly lied about the facts of the matter.

Last edited:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

I will try to have a look this evening, but I am really bad at legalese so my opinion is worth squat.

I am already certain that he is probably not unambiguously 100% correct as you claim, because it's never the case in regards to constitutional matters. :D

For now though, an interesting thought experiment. The reason why I am against vaccines mandates right now is because with the immune evasive mutant being so prevalent, vaccination still doesn't prevent most of the contagion from vaccinated individuals, all though solid data is showing that 3 doses still do a pretty decent job at it!

What if we had sars-cov-3 (or whatever) that was extremely contagious, extremely lethal (like 10% to 20% infection fatality rate) against all age groups and we also had a vaccine that would effectively stop its spread and protect inoculated individuals?

In such a case, I would support a mandate without a second of hesitation. What about you? (This is a genuine thought experiment, I don't want to gang on anyone.)

Reactions: SOLR

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Guy, guys, guys...

Good thing we lost last night huh? 1st overall baby here we gooooooo!

**** the league if they don't give it to us.

Reactions: Licou

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Here you go make a non-sense argument because I didn't mention X media with the exact pattern as the other ones.

I'm neither on the left, nor right.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Reporter seems unstable, where is O’Toole’s response to the second question? Or do they omit it because they don’t like his response?
That’s your takeaway? The reporter seems unstable? So you’re okay with the leader of the official opposition meeting with an organizer saying this issue can only be solved with bullets?

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Mainstream medias are turning boring facts into sensational titles. They also have different sections for news and commentators.

Alternative medias turn individually taken single facts without the global portrait to factual generality, ignoring globally observed results.
I guest I could find "advanced" stats that could lead to think that the Habs are not having a disaster of a season. At the end, you have to look at the standings cause that's what the game is about.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Here you go make a non-sense argument because I didn't mention X media with the exact pattern as the other ones.

I'm neither on the left, nor right.

I find the way the perception of the left has really changed in the past decade or two.

I am not going to lie, I am solidly on the left and always have been. I have more pragmatic views as a voter and a citizen, but my ideologies are pretty radical to be quite honest.

That being said, for me and my social circle, the left used to mean that we support strong worker and consumer rights. We used to stand against corporate lobbying in our parliaments. Of course this version of the left supports a more interventionist state, that is a given. But in my mind, political discussions between the right and left used to be about how far should the state reach into our ECONOMICAL lives, not whatever is going on right now.

I feel the debate nowadays is ONLY about culture wars. We really were played against one another.

Just to stay on topic, what really bums me out the most is the politicalization of science. I find this quite sad.

That being said, while I strongly believe science communication has been severely lacking from our Federal and provincial governments, and that I can criticize a lot of the decisions that were made in regards to the management of the pandemic, I sill feel I can trust that our public health officials are trying their best to make this work.

I agree with all of the arguments about freedom, I really do, but I think a lot of you that argue in that sense kind of brush aside the fact that our health care system has a lot of trouble coping with the volume of covid patients. Of course, this should tell us that we have a problem in that regards and I agree! But this is the main reason why I think there are no perfect solutions right now. It should be a debate deep in nuances, not a all of nothing affair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad