OT: Covid-19 (Part 42) All Night Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
There is one number that concerns me. Is Rt the same thing as the R0? Because in the past couple of weeks it's gone from .78 to .88 and now .95. If that's the same thing as R0, then that's not a good thing. That number needs to go down.

R0 is used to define how infectious a virus is. Rt is the current rate of transmission.

You want the Rt to be <1.0, the lower is better of course, but below 1 it mean the epidemic is regressing.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I havent seen anyone but my parents for the past 6 months, absolutely brutal.

Same. Was even unemployed for 4 months. Got a new job paying me significantly more than before so I’m just gonna assume it’s good karma from making sacrifices over the pandemic.

Reactions: LeHab

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Same. Was even unemployed for 4 months. Got a new job paying me significantly more than before so I’m just gonna assume it’s good karma from making sacrifices over the pandemic.

My situation is hard to beat......I am simply not working for more than a year now. Got an early taste of retirement.
Worst part is that I took a 4 weeks vacation and it ended 1 week before the pandemic hit, so it's been a very, very long time now.

But at least I've been blessed with the ability and the patience (and also blessed to have been lucky on week 1) to make money with online poker so that saves the day financially.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
To this day I can't stand people that bring back that clip of Aruda saying we don't have any flu this year , to help their argument that the covid numbers are inflated....

Of course we almost don't see any flu, we are at home, no school, wear a mask and wash our hands 25x a day.
It's entirely possible flu numbers have gone down.

It's absolutely impossible they've gone down as much the numbers are telling us.

Fact of the matter, is we seldom ever test for influenza anymore.
That's why the cases are ridiculously low.
Nothing to do with masks, hand-washing or distancing.

Also, you're speaking in absolutes, as if 100% of the population followed these rules.
They don't.

Reactions: MasterD

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My situation is hard to beat......I am simply not working for more than a year now. Got an early taste of retirement.
Worst part is that I took a 4 weeks vacation and it ended 1 week before the pandemic hit, so it's been a very, very long time now.

But at least I've been blessed with the ability and the patience (and also blessed to have been lucky on week 1) to make money with online poker so that saves the day financially.
Money at online poker eh? What stakes?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I rarely rarely wear a mask and am always in restaurants. Life here is pretty much back to normal.

Stunning to hear what life is like for my sister who lives in Ottawa.

Canadians should not be this locked down or be held to a curfew.

Can't live your life like this.

I think our government in Qc has done a good job containing the spread of the 3rd wave considering our vaccine rollout was really slow this winter. Of course the same cannot be said for Ontario.

I am wondering how fast our gov will be to cancel the indoor mask mandate. We know the vaccine rollout is going very well right now. Likely more than 70% of the pop will have their 1st dose in early June. We can guess 70% will have their 2nd dose around late July/August. Does that mean we'll be able to stop wearing masks by then?

For some reason I think Legault/Arruda will be very slow on the mask thing. It feels like children will still have to wear mask in schools in September. To me, the mask mandate has been the worst thing about this pandemic. Just awful (but necessary, of course)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Money at online poker eh? What stakes?

That's the first mistake......I don't play cash games.
Too much swing in your stack, that's not how I make money.

It's not about making quick and easy money, it's completely the opposite. It's a job.
The way I do it, it's very long and hard. There's days I play for more than 12 hours a day.....with 4-5 open table at the time
Did the same when I was younger, wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the Pandemic.

My technic is pretty much to play every single low stakes tournament.
Every 1-2-3$ tourney, I'm in. Including Omaha and Omaha hi and low (less people, less skill players too for those games)
Only play at Poker Stars (shit load of tourney)

Here's my day from 2 days ago:

Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 3$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 22$
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 3$ - 386$
Tournoi 3$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 5$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 7$
Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 11$
Tournoi 3$ - 49$
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 0

That's a day of around $442 US profits (around 575 CA). It was a good day.
Made the money only 5 times in 17 tourney. Had one big money where I finished 2nd.

There's days I don't make a whole lot of money, like 15$-20$ but I'm almost never in the negative.
I also had days close to 1K too. Usually I've been around 400-700$ (US) a week for the past year with that technic but it's not steady either, I had week of a 100$ and week with more than 2K. Made around 32K in the last year (I had one big special 10$ tournament where I made 8K, that tournement took 2 days to complete, more than 8500 people, finished 5th)

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's the first mistake......I don't play cash games.
Too much swing in your stack, that's not how I make money.

It's not about making quick and easy money, it's completely the opposite. It's a job.
The way I do it, it's very long and hard. There's days I play for more than 12 hours a day.....with 4-5 open table at the time
Did the same when I was younger, wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the Pandemic.

My technic is pretty much to play every single low stakes tournament.
Every 1-2-3$ tourney, I'm in. Including Omaha and Omaha hi and low (less people, less skill players too for those games)
Only play at Poker Stars (shit load of tourney)

Here's my day from 2 days ago:

Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 3$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 22$
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 3$ - 386$
Tournoi 3$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 5$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 7$
Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 11$
Tournoi 3$ - 49$
Tournoi 1$ - 0
Tournoi 2$ - 0
Tournoi 1$ - 0

That's a day of around $442 US profits (around 575 CA). It was a good day.
Made the money only 5 times in 17 tourney. Had one big money where I finished 2nd.

There's days I don't make a whole lot of money, like 15$-20$ but I'm almost never in the negative.
I also had days close to 1K too. Usually I've been around 400-700$ (US) a week for the past year with that technic but it's steady, I had week of a 100$ and week with more than 2K.
I use to play frequent and made money, but not enough to turn into a full time gig. So true about the less skilled players in Omaha hi/low. I’m glad you found a strategy that worked. Bankroll management was always my downfall. Make money at lower stakes and then jump up to the next level too soon where I just didn’t have enough cash on hand to handle the swings. I guess I tried to accelerate the process, I feel if I was willing to grind it out and play within my own budget there was money to be made.

Im a big fan of cash games, I just find it’s entirely different game, usually a pretty skilled group in these games from my experience, but bankroll management was always my problem. I started out at 1/2 and quickly moved up to 5-10, was doing well for awhile, but just too much variance and not enough cash to handle the swings. Even at 1/2 I was probably at the upper end of my threshold.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
E1WGoQEWEAMl-w9

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I use to play frequent and made money, but not enough to turn into a full time gig. So true about the less skilled players in Omaha hi/low. I’m glad you found a strategy that worked. Bankroll management was always my downfall. Make money at lower stakes and then jump up to the next level too soon where I just didn’t have enough cash on hand to handle the swings. I guess I tried to accelerate the process, I feel if I was willing to grind it out and play within my own budget there was money to be made.

I honestly made more money on Omaha than Holdem in the end.

There's days I tried some big tournament at around 50$ but I never seems to be able to get in the money and I become so pissed that it ruined my day cause I concentrate too much on that tournament (Playing only one table when I get into those). Like I edit in my last post, there's one I made 8K (big special WCOP week-end tournement on 2 days) but even then I won a 1$ satellite to get into it. That was the only very big win I had in my life.

I play more to not lose my stack than win in the end. (I'm a Habs fan after all, lol)....I found out that I'm way more agressive with many open table then when I play one table at a time, I overthink too much with one table and start being scare to bluff.

That's why I don't play cash games. You have to put your stack in to get some money out and the swings are too much for me.
Playing low tournament allow me to make moves without being too concern of being caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad