OT: Covid-19 (Part 26) Be our guest (Read first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, everything they're opening now in Quebec and more particularly, Montreal, will eventually close back down again.

I doubt they'll close down everything. We've learned where the virus isn't, even if we're still unsure where it is. There's no need to close stores, since we've learned they can be open without a surge in cases. Restaurants... we'll see in a week or two (really hoping they're okay). The big question marks are places where strangers are closer together for longer, like bars and clubs.

Plus, I'm pretty sure businesses will bend over backwards to enforce protocols rather than shut their doors again.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I doubt they'll close down everything. We've learned where the virus isn't, even if we're still unsure where it is. There's no need to close stores, since we've learned they can be open without a surge in cases. Restaurants... we'll see in a week or two (really hoping they're okay). The big question marks are places where strangers are closer together for longer, like bars and clubs.

Plus, I'm pretty sure businesses will bend over backwards to enforce protocols rather than shut their doors again.

Yea. I believe that people here will be a little more disciplined. But I can't say that with any certainty, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if they do end up closing.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Record day for California with 6,896 new cases
Record day for Arizona, Tennessee, Alabama, Washington,
Georgia and Texas matched their worst day

44,734 new cases for the US, 2nd worst day so far

They just don't care. Even from a non-health perspective, they will destroy the economy so bad the longer this goes and send everyone into a major recession.

Reactions: Milhouse40

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
They just don't care. Even from a non-health perspective, they will destroy the economy so bad the longer this goes and send everyone into a major recession.
They sadly got to a point where they'll destroy the economy one way or another. I have a hard time getting worried for the USA on the long term, they'll come back eventually (whoever gets elected this Fall), but for the next year or two I have no idea what's gonna happen.

For them, I'm hoping that a vaccine will be ready soon (full of 5G tracking chips with info sent to Bill Gates :rolleyes::sarcasm:) and that herd immunity can become strong enough until then (still unproven). I should also buy a 6/49 at the same time (lotto ticket for our international friends), the odds of a positive outcome are likely the same.

While I expect a second wave here too, I'm much more confident about what will happen here, but maybe I'm naive. What I expect, sadly, is that we'll have to isolate our elders again to prevent them getting infected (though A LOT of them got infected already). That was our main failure this Spring, we isolated them WITH the virus.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think they made an error with Georgia, the Governor of that state didn't even know asymptomatic people could spread the virus! :sarcasm:
Reminds me of when I lived just North of Atlanta, GA while working on a DOD contract.

The confusion on people's faces every time I told them I was born in Georgia when they inquired about the origin of my accent. Not a single one had any clue whatsoever that I was referring to a country. Priceless shit! :laugh:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Reminds me of when I lived just North of Atlanta, GA while working on a DOD contract.

The confusion on people's faces every time I told them I was born in Georgia when they inquired about the origin of my accent. Not a single one had any clue whatsoever that I was referring to a country. Priceless shit! :laugh:

My favorite Georgian: Khakhi Kakhiasvili (Half-Georgian/Half-Greek).

Won gold in weightlifting for Georgia (as part of the Olympic Team) at the '92 Olympics and then went on to win 2 golds for Greece at the '96 and 2000 Olympics.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My GF is from Grenoble and SHE wants to come over HERE. She was here this winter, left at the end of February for personal matters, was supposed to come back on April 15th.

Get it?
And I was supposed to have my partner come up from St. Louis for a few weeks to celebrate my birthday together back in May. Haven't seen her in-person since February, just like you.

Gotta roll with the punches. It's not easy for sure.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
And I was supposed to have my partner come up from St. Louis for a few weeks to celebrate my birthday together back in May. Haven't seen her in-person since February, just like you.

Gotta roll with the punches. It's not easy for sure.

How life can be sometimes... we were supposed to sign a few financial documents, but didnt have time to go over it before she left. If we would have, we'd have proof of partnership and she would've been able to maybe come over earlier.

And trying to get answers from immigration is a pain since March.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Here's a funny/embarrassing story on my part.

If you recall some years ago, there was a Russian interview tape that leaked where Kovalev was apparently bashing the Habs organization, calling Carbo a racist, etc... This was pretty controversial, as he was still with the team at the time and things were not going well.

CKAC was all sports talk at the time, and they were all over this story causing all kinds of drama. I hated how CKAC would always be stirring the pot, and at one point they mentioned that the tape was translated by their resident Russian expert, and mentioned her name. She was an author living here in Quebec, and I remembered her name because it came up in one of my classes at the time.

I went to get the book and what do I see in her biography? Born in GEORGIA. I immediately thought I uncovered some huge scandal... The "Russian expert" CKAC was using to slander the Canadiens was AMERICAN!

So I was actually in touch with PJ Stock during this time, and I contacted him immediately to tell him about the big news I discovered. He announced on TEAM 990 that he had breaking news, that the Russian expert from CKAC was actually AMERICAN and that this was clearly a smear job. He even said I would be on the show later to break the story.

I mentioned this to a friend all excited and he's just like... "You know Georgia is a country and many people speak Russian there..." My heart sank. I was supposed to be on TEAM 990 to break the news within a few hours. I sent PJ Stock an email to explain my mistake and he basically ignored me from that point on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad