OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
went hike in west milford on wednesday. saw about 20 people on a 1.5 hour hike, but people are generally good at being distant

no one's really trying to talk to other groups while they're hiking anyway, so i THINK it should be safe to go. I WILL SAY allergies are really bad right now though, so take some meds before you go out, unless you want to get looks from sneezing

Hiking is more than safe. I encourage you to go outside. It's healthy.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
people in general are vitamin D deficient, and i was listening to a podcast w some doctor who said that low vitamin d deficiency is correlated to getting diseases, including the 'rona. we need that sweet sunlight
D helps processing cholesterol so it doesn't get too high, like you said most of us need more D/sunlight
in fact they say D is more of a hormone than a vitamin, it's really important
(I've been reading a lot of books since I've been furloughed from work)

Last edited:
Reactions: OmNomNom

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I just got the antibody test. I was exposed to someone at work who had it about two months ago. I haven't had any symptoms but I was there for something non-Covid related and they were like, "Want one?" so I did. I'll have the results in 3-5 business days.

Be careful. The test is not very robust to begin with. Furthermore, it's the wild west out there regarding the quality of the test. Literally, the federal government is not regulating any of this.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
people in general are vitamin D deficient, and i was listening to a podcast w some doctor who said that low vitamin d deficiency is correlated to getting diseases, including the 'rona. we need that sweet sunlight

Vitamin D is really helpful, same with C. I supplement both of them every day, especially during all of this going on.

Reactions: OmNomNom

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Did your insurance cover the cost? I want to get one too but don't want to spend $100.

Most insurances are covering tests at 100% - google yours and Covid tests and see for sure.

I don't know if it was my insurance (United) or the provider (CityMD) but it was $0 out of pocket for me for the whole trip.

Given that, it was actually cheaper for me to get the antibody test with my non-Covid trip than to not get it, since I would've had a copay attached without the test.

An utterly confusing scenario.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Im beginning to think Jersey will be THE first state to reach the old normal.

Im not about to list all the numbers but when one considers the average infection-rate of a flu, and then extrapolate that for the stronger and more infectious covid, you can begin to understand the true scale of how many it has hit.

I believe at least 20-30% of cases are asymptomatic, then another at least 20-30% are symptomatic but not enough to be tested (stay home and get fluids).

Take NJs currently reported confirmed cases - 150k. One must imagine you add a multiplier for each of the categories that arent needing testing. If for every one person who goes for a test, one can guess at least 5-6 arent.

Average flu season mortality rate is below 1% and the season usually lasts 4-5 months. Thatd mean for Covid one can guess if 150k are confirmed positive in only ~5 months, and those cases were mostly sick enough to need hospitalization or emergency care, one can assume youd use a multiplier closer to 10 at LEAST to try and come up with true infection numbers.

This is all my opinion but if I was told that it was correct that at LEAST 150k x 10 = 1.5m out of 8.8m in NJ have already been infected - id think we actually make out better being closer to the epicenter of the pandemic.

I started wondering this when I noticed I cant name a single person im close with who has tested for it - yet half those people have been sick or come in contact with more than close family. This just doesnt add up that none of them had it.

Im curious as to others thoughts. I think this will carry on for quite a while country-wide however, if antibodies prove to hold up to the average 8-12month lifespan - New Jersey could be out of the woods by this time next year. And thats WITHOUT a vaccine or herd immunity.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I apologize if this has been beaten to death already - but where do you guys stand on folks from PA heading down to the shore over the coming weeks?

Short term rentals are back on the market the first week of June.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I apologize if this has been beaten to death already - but where do you guys stand on folks from PA heading down to the shore over the coming weeks?

I say this: Enjoy the likely spike in covid cases in those areas.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

The faster the majority of the people get this and move through it the better. Having said that I'm not entirely sure we need bennies from other states coming in. I hate everything about this. So many unanswered questions and too much gray area.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

I prefer locals should have preference if they are going to curb limits on the beaches. I also prefer that De Blasio opens up the beaches in NYC. I'll be pissed if our beaches are swarmed because he closed his.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

The Florida Governor got a lot of heat for saying New Yorkers shouldn’t come down to Florida right now.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
My antibody test came back negative. Am I supposed to be happy or sad?
Did you pay a dime for it?

I want to get one if its free because ive been around far more people than the average stay-at-home’r, so im kinda hoping I got it and was asymptomatic (probably not though)

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Did you pay a dime for it?

I want to get one if its free because ive been around far more people than the average stay-at-home’r, so im kinda hoping I got it and was asymptomatic (probably not though)

This is the response I received from work benefits. I have Anthem Blue Cross. With that said, I advise you call your insurer or consult with your benefits administrator.

As of today, the antibody testing is NOT included in the various stimulus laws that require zero cost shares. Any testing would be provided at the plan coverage levels. The cost is usually between $150-$225 in-network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad