Couturier unable to dominate in loss to Remparts: scouting chart and grade included

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
Your comments at the end lost me- if it's true. They make me think that's why he's putting up those numbers. If he needs 30 minutes TOI and to be the central part of a team's offense in order to be effective, I'd rather pass on him. He won't be able to do this at the next level.

How about being +50 on a team where the second highest player's +/- is +32. He's getting it done defensively and offensively and carrying his team.

arsmaster*

Your comments at the end lost me- if it's true. They make me think that's why he's putting up those numbers. If he needs 30 minutes TOI and to be the central part of a team's offense in order to be effective, I'd rather pass on him. He won't be able to do this at the next level.

You cannot honestly think his coach is throwing him out there 30 minutes a game to "be effective".

Its because he is very effective, that the coach uses him in all situations 30 minutes a game.

The guy is an absolute offensive beast, and has skills to match in the other 2 zones.

How many kids in their draft year are asked to check top lines at the U-20 World Championships?

Not many?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Can't judge him on one game...consider he was recently a QMJHL player of the week as he posted lots of points insome prior games..maybe this was just an off night for him--NO PLAYER has his "A" game or goal luck every single game...

He is clearly a top 5 pick fr this draft--saying that,the conensus is that there is no franchise superstar among the forwards at the top end of the draft this year--some very good prospects BUT in the A- to B+ range --NOT A+ as per Crosby,Stamkos, Ovechkin
or even A like several others (Toews ,Backstrom,Kane,both Richards) ...nothing wrong with A- to B+ type players-but there is a difference between "greatness'and merely "quite good" ...

ALL players "great" or merely "quite good" have certain flaws...To me Couturier lacks a bit in quickness and a bit in hockey sense/anticipation --otherwise he is a quite good prospect...but will he "dominate" at the next level --I don't think so..
His strength game could still develop and improve as he matures and there is always the need for a BIG strong centre in most teams' lineups-so he should be an NHl top 2 line guy at least -but I would not pin a franchise once in a lifetime moiker on him.

I think HUBERDEAU -in the right circumstances COULD be a top line guy because he has
a greater hockey sense than Couturier ...Obvuiously he won't be as much of a factor in the strenght game and e'll need to add some bulk --but if you have exceptional hockey sense I think it trumps mere physical attributes...Huberdeau is an A + in hockey sense --Couturier merely a B+ ...in strenghth Couturier is a B+ to Huberdeau 's B- ... in quickness Huberdeau is a B+ to Couturier's B....So I put Couturier in the B to B+ range and Huberdeau as a definite B+ (shooting and passing are a wash) who might go to A- in the right circumstances ...

An example of ny tought process: IF OTTAWA finishes 2nd to EDM but the3rd last finisher wins the lottery --Ottawa picks 3rd in that scenario...Assuming the lotto winner took Landeskog first ,and EDM took Larsson 2nd, who does OTTAWA take assuming they prefer a forward?

DO they want a centre or a winger?

Couturier projects as an NHL centre ....unless Ryan Strome the other conensus centre
is preferred --they could go to one of these for their 2nd line centre after Spezza.

HOWEVER RNH and HUBERDEAU though both list as centres in the ranking lists are really both C/W types and probably project best as wingers at the NHL level..

THUS if either RNH (RW) or HUBERDEAU (LW) were put with SPEZZA --you could get a top line in Ottawa "clicking" again..

Are we to judge 2nd line status below potential 1st line status? IF so --one should rank
RNH and HUBERDEAU ahead of COUTURIER. IF you see the struture of a team as more enhanced if there is a quality 2nd line centre -then maybe rank Couturier above RNH and HUBERDEAU ..

So i think there willbe a lot of "what can this player do for our team?" analysis going on rather than is C better than H or RNH on the individual merits.

Ranking orgs will not do that-but NHL teams choosing among close alternatives will take such considerations into account.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
RNH will be on Rogers Sportsnet Sunday night March 13th as the Red Deer v. CGY game is being televised (7:00 pm in the Ontario time zone) ..I guess if he bombs that night failing to hit the scoresheet and not dominating we will expect to read posts giving him only a 63 rating too?

You can't judge a player by one game-BUT you should be able to confirm a player's flaws that stand out ...we'll see what flaws we can pick out in RNH's game that night. Now if unlike Couturier vs. Quebec,RNH gets multipoints vs. CGY when the t.v. lights shine on him,it willbe harder to be critical..but still I will try to look for flaws that I have seen before or suspect he has...In the Top prospects game,RNH made some nice skilled passing plays and surprised me with his defensive effort and back-checking --we'll see if he keeps up the 2-way game or slacks off just to pad his offensive stats -also the one thing I'm still uncertain of is his shot --maybe its just average -that might be a concern..Finally I'd like to see how he plays IF CGY tries getting physical on him-did not see a lot of that at the Top prspects Game so I don't know how he handles teams trying to get physical on him...Also want to see if he is playing centre or RW.. He was only at RW for the Top Prospects Game.

So IF Couturier did not impress to the hype level vs. Quebec on Rogers Sportsnet,we shall see if RNH performs to a level worthy of the hype on him when he faces CGY tht night .

R S

Sep 18, 2006
RNH will be on Rogers Sportsnet Sunday night March 13th as the Red Deer v. CGY game is being televised (7:00 pm in the Ontario time zone) ..I guess if he bombs that night failing to hit the scoresheet and not dominating we will expect to read posts giving him only a 63 rating too?

You can't judge a player by one game-BUT you should be able to confirm a player's flaws that stand out ...we'll see what flaws we can pick out in RNH's game that night. Now if unlike Couturier vs. Quebec,RNH gets multipoints vs. CGY when the t.v. lights shine on him,it willbe harder to be critical..but still I will try to look for flaws that I have seen before or suspect he has...In the Top prospects game,RNH made some nice skilled passing plays and surprised me with his defensive effort and back-checking --we'll see if he keeps up the 2-way game or slacks off just to pad his offensive stats -also the one thing I'm still uncertain of is his shot --maybe its just average -that might be a concern..Finally I'd like to see how he plays IF CGY tries getting physical on him-did not see a lot of that at the Top prspects Game so I don't know how he handles teams trying to get physical on him...Also want to see if he is playing centre or RW.. He was only at RW for the Top Prospects Game.

So IF Couturier did not impress to the hype level vs. Quebec on Rogers Sportsnet,we shall see if RNH performs to a level worthy of the hype on him when he faces CGY tht night .

This whole post sums up the problem with people scouting from their couches.

At the start you say one game shouldn't be a huge in regards to SC...but then go on to say that it will be a very important ONE GAME for RNH when he is on Sportsnet on the 13th.

Maybe you should just rely on the information that is out there on this kid for the last 3 years. He's the best draft prospect out of the WHL in a few years for a reason. One bad or weak game on national TV isn't going to change that...except to maybe people like yourself.

IkeaMonkey*

It's a grading system that focuses on 1on1 puck-battles (broken down into specific zones), as well as puck-management skills etc..

I created this system to compliment, and not replace regular scouting and other statistics. My main goal is to come up with a system to help grade players using specific in-game situations, rather than simply relying on our end-of-game perceptions on how they played. I you're interested in learning more, please feel free to email me. My email address is on the blog.

Thanks for your interest. I'm always open to new ideas and constructive criticism.

Your grading metric is based on 1v1 situations in a team game?

That's...interesting...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Your grading metric is based on 1v1 situations in a team game?

That's...interesting...

Team game or not, the reality is a player positioning, checking, and puck battles play a huge role in a TEAM doing well. JT has provided us with a system of his own, and while some may disagree with it, he's been doing it for habs games for a while now. It's not foolproof but it gives a new perspective. Like any stat, it doesn't say the full story, but it certainly helps paint the overall picture. Only issue is that in the case of this thread, it's a one game sample, for the habs work he's put in, it has accumulated and given us a better & more rounded out view of our players in 1 on 1 situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad