Couturier unable to dominate in loss to Remparts: scouting chart and grade included

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
He is a blue chipper. Big and strong with good hands, plays in all situations. Love for the Habs to be able to draft him.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I thought he looked pretty good considering the zero points, especially on the 3rd period PP where he had some really good chances as a power forward in front of the net. With 30 more pounds of muscle he's going to be beast at that style of play.

I noticed something at the World Juniors that he also did last night which is his default play of getting the puck to the point. He does that play all the time which would make him a great teammate if you're a skilled defenseman. He uses his D-men so much that I think it would be best for him to go Ottawa or Colorado, teams with offensive defenseman, as opposed to say Edmonton who would do less with the passes he constantly gives. I think with his style that a skilled offensive D-man would go a real long way.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

You can't grade a player over one single game... the kid is a lock to get drafted in the top 3.

He's a stud, period.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
After watching a few Drummondville games this season I have come to the conclusion that the Volts are a pretty poor team with 1 guy really carrying them.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
No help from teammates in tough loss

Sean Couturier managed a grade of 63, as the Drummondville Voltigeurs lost 5-2 to the Quebec Remparts Sunday afternoon. Couturier's grade was lower than it should be considering his draft ranking. That said, big number 7 didn't get much help from his teammates.

http://justorunjustthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/03/sean-couturier-unable-to-dominate-in.html

Maybe that was not his best game offensively, but even at this, he was a dominant force on the ice. On the first Voltigeurs goal he makes a very good play. He receives a pass that was going to be intercept by the Remparts defensman, but he managed to lift his stick to receive the pass, and then takes a good shot on goal and Morrissette takes the rebound and put it in the net. He also wins all his puck battles. He protected the puck very well, and then makes some beautiful pass to his linemates. He makes some solid check. He was a force on the PK, wins a lot faceoffs, clears the zone easily, has a semi breakaway and takes a good shot on goal, after that he recovers the puck and went behind the net to freeze the puck there and effuse a lot of seconds to the penality, etc. And remember the last time the Voltigeurs played the Remparts, they win 4-1 and Couturier has three goals. He was very guarded by the Remparts players.

I thought he looked pretty good considering the zero points, especially on the 3rd period PP where he had some really good chances as a power forward in front of the net. With 30 more pounds of muscle he's going to be beast at that style of play.

I noticed something at the World Juniors that he also did last night which is his default play of getting the puck to the point. He does that play all the time which would make him a great teammate if you're a skilled defenseman. He uses his D-men so much that I think it would be best for him to go Ottawa or Colorado, teams with offensive defenseman, as opposed to say Edmonton who would do less with the passes he constantly gives. I think with his style that a skilled offensive D-man would go a real long way.

He has an assist on the first Voltigeurs goal.

You can't grade a player over one single game... the kid is a lock to get drafted in the top 3.

He's a stud, period.

This. He's the real deal.

After watching a few Drummondville games this season I have come to the conclusion that the Volts are a pretty poor team with 1 guy really carrying them.

This too. He's alone on his team and he's that good that the Voltigeurs are one of the best team in the QMJHL standing.

I'd like to hear more about this 'grading' metric and the scouting chart, basically how it works and how you developed it.

Yeah, me too.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You can't grade a player on a one-game basis.

Couturier has 1.7 points per game and he had one in this game. How is that representative?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Maybe that was not his best game offensively, but even at this, he was a dominant force on the ice. On the first Voltigeurs goal he makes a very good play. He receives a pass that was going to be intercept by the Remparts defensman, but he managed to lift his stick to receive the pass, and then takes a good shot on goal and Morrissette takes the rebound and put it in the net. He also wins all his puck battles. He protected the puck very well, and then makes some beautiful pass to his linemates. He makes some solid check. He was a force on the PK, wins a lot faceoffs, clears the zone easily, has a semi breakaway and takes a good shot on goal, after that he recovers the puck and went behind the net to freeze the puck there and effuse a lot of seconds to the penality, etc. And remember the last time the Voltigeurs played the Remparts, they win 4-1 and Couturier has three goals. He was very guarded by the Remparts players.

He has an assist on the first Voltigeurs goal.

This. He's the real deal.

This too. He's alone on his team and he's that good that the Voltigeurs are one of the best team in the QMJHL standing.

Yeah, me too.

I agree to all this. Even more, I always liked Couturier and I still believe that he should go 1st overall. He plays a very mature game and he will translate well in the NHL. If I wanted one guy for the Habs to draft and build around, it's him.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I wouldn't say that. SC could easily end up at 4 or even 5.

It's true.

The guy IS a stud. But that doesn't mean he's a lock to be top 4 anymore. His first two steps are questionable as far as being one of the top 3 players in the draft goes...and although I don't watch much of the Q, that game last night left a lot to be desired from a structure standpoint compared to the OHL game I had just come from between Kitch and Ottawa. The players in that game seemed much smaller and easier to push around.

It might be becoming apparent to scouts that he won't be ready for the NHL next year, or at least not a lock, and he may fall a spot or two because of it. By the sounds of it, Ryan Strome is really coming on in scouts eyes....right or wrong...that's what it sounds like.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It's true.

The guy IS a stud. But that doesn't mean he's a lock to be top 4 anymore. His first two steps are questionable as far as being one of the top 3 players in the draft goes...and although I don't watch much of the Q, that game last night left a lot to be desired from a structure standpoint compared to the OHL game I had just come from between Kitch and Ottawa. The players in that game seemed much smaller and easier to push around.

It might be becoming apparent to scouts that he won't be ready for the NHL next year, or at least not a lock, and he may fall a spot or two because of it. By the sounds of it, Ryan Strome is really coming on in scouts eyes....right or wrong...that's what it sounds like.

Quebec is one of the smallest team in the league. Actually, I think they are at the bottom.

Fiddie

Jan 10, 2009
Edmonton
For those who obviously didn't read the article before commenting a quote from the bottom of the article.

Keep in mind this is only one game, and should not be used to judge Couturier's ability or inability to be a solid NHL player. There is much development to come, and one game does not make a career. That said, big number 7 should be putting up substantially better numbers considering his talent and draft ranking.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He's first in the QMJHL with a 1.7 ppg pace... How could he be better than first?

He's fifth in the whole CHL behind Joey Hishon, Ryan Ellis and Linden Vey who are at 1.72. Schenn is first at 2+.

It's like he has to do more than RNH and Lando to be considered as a top pick. Well... he is doing more.

He is the whole Drummondville team by himself playing double lines and 2 minutes per shift. He's averaging more than 30 minutes a game.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He's not going to be a Sidney Crosby type player, but having said that I can see him developing into a yearly 70-80 point center. Probably something similar to what Vincent Lecavalier has done over his career (minus that one huge 50 goal season).

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He's first in the QMJHL with a 1.7 ppg pace... How could he be better than first?

He's fifth in the whole CHL behind Joey Hishon, Ryan Ellis and Linden Vey who are at 1.72. Schenn is first at 2+.

It's like he has to do more than RNH and Lando to be considered as a top pick. Well... he is doing more.

He is the whole Drummondville team by himself playing double lines and 2 minutes per shift. He's averaging more than 30 minutes a game.

Your comments at the end lost me- if it's true. They make me think that's why he's putting up those numbers. If he needs 30 minutes TOI and to be the central part of a team's offense in order to be effective, I'd rather pass on him. He won't be able to do this at the next level.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Your comments at the end lost me- if it's true. They make me think that's why he's putting up those numbers. If he needs 30 minutes TOI and to be the central part of a team's offense in order to be effective, I'd rather pass on him. He won't be able to do this at the next level.

He was playing every-other shift in the third period last Sunday too against Lewiston because his team was down for the entire game until they tied it in the third and Couturier winning it in overtime.

He's so dominant, yes it helps the the point total, but I don't see any concern of him being double shifted.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

:facepalm:

Whatever. Just pass on him then.

just_thoughts

Jul 15, 2006
For those who obviously didn't read the article before commenting a quote from the bottom of the article.

Thanks for pointing that out. After re-reading my article, I realize I should have been more clear when mentioning the "numbers".

Here's my edit:
Keep in mind this is only one game, and should not be used to judge Couturier's ability or inability to be a solid NHL player. There is much development to come, and one game does not make a career. That said, big number 7 should be putting up substantially better numbers (within this grading system) considering his talent and draft ranking.

Thanks for helping me improve.

just_thoughts

Jul 15, 2006

I'd like to hear more about this 'grading' metric and the scouting chart, basically how it works and how you developed it.

It's a grading system that focuses on 1on1 puck-battles (broken down into specific zones), as well as puck-management skills etc..

I created this system to compliment, and not replace regular scouting and other statistics. My main goal is to come up with a system to help grade players using specific in-game situations, rather than simply relying on our end-of-game perceptions on how they played. I you're interested in learning more, please feel free to email me. My email address is on the blog.

Thanks for your interest. I'm always open to new ideas and constructive criticism.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
He was playing every-other shift in the third period last Sunday too against Lewiston because his team was down for the entire game until they tied it in the third and Couturier winning it in overtime.

He's so dominate, yes it helps the the point total, but I don't see any concern of him being double shifted.

:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad