Injury Report: Couturier out approx. four weeks, LBI (Feb. 5); Nick Cousins recalled

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It sucks, but it is a great opportunity for Raffl to show if he can be a defensive 3C.

Short-term he probably can be. But that's not what will make or break their season.

They lost their #2 center and Laughton|Bellemare|Weal are 4th line centers with varying skillsets, Gagner and Schenn don't even count because they are obviously wingers now, ... the only remaining option that hasn't been tried and failed in a scoring role would be Nick Cousins.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
tumblr_mao8p80EJq1qmirjn.gif

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One update:

No surgery for Couturier.

Hextall doesn't consider it long-term.

No word on any promotion or if/when Couturier will be placed on IR.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He currently has 24 points in 40 games. 48+ point pace. With minimal PP production.

I guess that's why the critics who believe he peaked at age 20/21 have been silent.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think if it were me I would maybe go with:

Voracek -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Read -- Raffl -- Schenn
Leier -- Laughton -- Gagner
Vandevelde -- Bellemare -- White

for now... or move Laughton to Raffl's LW and put Cousins at 3/4C.

That 2nd line should still win their match-ups... or at least keep them darn close, and the Laughton line would be just as shielded as ever under Hakstol in all likelihood.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Breakout season and now he gets the injury bug. :shakehead

He still has a small chance of hitting 40 points.

If he came back on March 5th, that would give him 19 games to score the 16 points necessary to get to 40 for the season.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I think if it were me I would maybe go with:

Voracek -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Read -- Raffl -- Schenn
Leier -- Laughton -- Gagner
Vandevelde -- Bellemare -- White

for now... or move Laughton to Raffl's LW and put Cousins at 3/4C.

That 2nd line should still win their match-ups... or at least keep them darn close, and the Laughton line would be just as shielded as ever under Hakstol in all likelihood.

I'm okay with that. I'd rather have cousins over gagner though

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
A few additional comments in this thread have been presented. The original source is the Flyers.

Hextall has addressed members of the media.

Tim P., for one source, can also be followed on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN )

Thanks, ... caught the added comments after I posted... I suppose I was just looking for the 'Official' statement from the Organization. I'm sure more will be released or leaked soon enough.

... The NHL is so tight lipped on injuries. SMH

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Weal can't get in the lineup now they may as well just waive him to free up a roster spot.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks, ... caught the added comments after I posted... I suppose I was just looking for the 'Official' statement from the Organization. I'm sure more will be released or leaked soon enough.

... The NHL is so tight lipped on injuries. SMH

The injury is on NHL.com but not on the Flyers' website. The team released it through other means but eventually should be posted on the site.

Here is what is mentioned on NHL.com (approximately a half hour ago) without the additions we have in this thread:

Philadelphia Flyers center Sean Couturier will be out approximately four weeks because of a lower-body injury, general manager Ron Hextall announced Friday.

Couturier left the Flyers' game against the Nashville Predators on Thursday with 2:04 remaining in the second period and didn't return. He also missed the three games leading up to the All-Star break because of a lower-body injury.

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-sean-couturier-out-four-weeks/c-278363828

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Send Lawyers, Guns and Money, the s--t has hit the fan!

Or at least bring up Leier and Cousins.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Stick a fork in them, their done.

I for one would like to see Cousins.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Send Lawyers, Guns and Money, the s--t has hit the fan!

I'd lay my head on the railroad tracks
And wait for the Double "E"
But the railroad don't run no more
Poor, poor pitiful me

Poor, poor pitiful me
Poor, poor pitiful me
These injuries won't let Couts be
Lord have mercy on me
Woe is me

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
WHAT. Here goes the playoffs. No just kidding, still, let's go Flyers! It would be incredible if we manage to make the playoffs without Couturier. But this absolutely sucks...

Looks like big opportunity for Laughton. (?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad