Injury Report: Couturier out approx. four weeks, LBI (Feb. 5); Nick Cousins recalled

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What Laughton needs is to actually get icetime. He's sure as **** better than anyone on the current "3rd line" and he's better than Cousins. He should have been the one to replace Couturier on that line, not Cousins. But unfortunately our coach has his favorites and likes to make terrible lineup choices for a lengthy period of time before finally getting his head out of his ass (Raffl on the first line, Schenn away from Couts, Voracek with VV and PEB, Umberger in the lineup, and plenty more). Hopefully he finally wakes up and realizes that he's doing dumb **** again.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The GM called Cousins up because he wanted him to get a real look before he loses his waiver exempt status after this season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What Laughton needs is to actually get icetime. He's sure as **** better than anyone on the current "3rd line" and he's better than Cousins. He should have been the one to replace Couturier on that line, not Cousins. But unfortunately our coach has his favorites and likes to make terrible lineup choices for a lengthy period of time before finally getting his head out of his ass (Raffl on the first line, Schenn away from Couts, Voracek with VV and PEB, Umberger in the lineup, and plenty more). Hopefully he finally wakes up and realizes that he's doing dumb **** again.

Yes...and Laughton got gifted the scoring C role last year over Couts but did not take advantage of it.

Nothing wrong with Cousins getting a chance too.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

I believe they just want to preserve some sort of consistency.

Laughton has been tried with a lot of different linemates so far and hasn't been able to build much of a chemistry with anyone. Maybe it's in his own best interest not to move him to another line and then back again after 4 weeks when Couts is healthy again.... because that is what pretty much stunned Brayden Schenn's development as a center.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes...and Laughton got gifted the scoring C role last year over Couts but did not take advantage of it.

Nothing wrong with Cousins getting a chance too.

But you can't blame him for that. He didn't give himself the role and it was his first year... he's not a good enough prospect to step in and be what we want him to be immediately. He's no Couts.

Point is, this year he needs to be used more than our human trashcans. Voracek struggled getting bottom 6 minutes with bad linemates, of course Laughton will too. He's being set up for failure which makes no sense since there's an easy way to use him better, but for some reason this coach refuses to do it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't agree with how Hakstol is using the "3rd line" either.

But I was also showing the other side of the coin. Laughton came in last year and was gifted offensive minutes with Schenn and Simmonds while Couts had Read and Umberger. And he put up 5 points. That's on him. And sure, maybe he wasn't ready but he also didn't run with the position either.

I said it before the year started that I wanted Laughton to BE FORCED to focus on defense 1st...like Couts for his 1st few years. My hope would be that it would free up Couts for be more offensive.

But Laughton has done neither. He has not excelled defensively or offensively. But luckily Couts got a shot with real wingers and has shown he has the next level of offense in him.

And yes, Laughton SHOULD be getting more minutes than the Hakstol line...100% agree. But I have no issue with Cousins being "gifted" Couts offensive spot over Laughton because Laugton has not YET shown he can excel if given more icetime over the past 1.5 years. Plus, we need to make a decision on Cousins soon anyways so why not use the time with Couts hurt to see what he can do. But it also won't surprise me if Laughton is ALSO moved into that spot for a trial run as well. That way Hakstol has info on how each guy did.

In the end, we need one of those guys to step up and be a good 3rd line C. And for me, Laughton defense is a big letdown as I felt that would be his strength. But they are young and still have time to get there. I just wish, like you, that they were really getting 3rd line minutes and not 4th line minutes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
2-8-2 without Coots, but the win against NY came in a SO and the win against the Caps came in OT. So you could also say the Flyers don't have a single regulation win in 12 games without Couturier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad