Injury Report: Couturier out approx. four weeks, LBI (Feb. 5); Nick Cousins recalled

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From Tim P.'s column, if you want to dissect this analysis:

While Nick Cousins was recalled from the Phantoms on Friday afternoon, Hakstol said he wants to minimize the trickle-down effect on his lineup.

He seemed to be leaning toward moving Scott Laughton into Couturier’s spot between Sam Gagner and Brayden Schenn. He also said he likes how Schenn has played this season at right wing and would prefer not to move him into the middle.

Cousins, it seems, would replace Laughton, if this pans out.

Couturier, who was challenged by Hextall last offseason to up the ante in his offensive play, has done that with nine goals and 24 points, while still averaging 2:08 shorthanded minutes per game, which is third-highest among the forwards.

Laughton is itching for a chance to move up. He had just 10:13 of ice time against Nashville, yet was a key offensive cog with two stretch passes that both resulted in goals.

Hakstol doesn’t seem inclined to move Schenn, either.

“That’s something we talked about through the three-game stretch, but he’s doing a great job on the right side,” Hakstol said. “He’s been real good in his role there.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...k-cousins-will-replace-injured-sean-couturier

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't imagine Gagner-Laughton-Schenn will be Hakstol's preferred choice to go up against Ovechkin on Sunday. That would be suicide.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
qJpn02X.gif

Awesome

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I can't imagine Gagner-Laughton-Schenn will be Hakstol's preferred choice to go up against Ovechkin on Sunday. That would be suicide.

Short of sneaking G's line out there against Ovechkin with a quick change after the face-off , its going to be a rough match up. Caps have last change. Right now, if the Flyers can pull two points in this weekend, that's going to be a good deal. The Rags game really means something. They can be beaten.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am glad Cousins got the call. We need to figure out if he has a future next year with us anyways so this gives him a chance to show what he can do.

But he will likely only get 8 minutes a night anyways.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
I love the question Hextall got from some hack from the press:

"Where did you come up with the four weeks, was it the trainers who told you?"

Like WTF do you think? That Hextall pulled it out of his ass?

:shakehead

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Obviously he sacrificed a prospect and read his entrails.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

They are terrible. Timmy P willfully misunderstanding Hextall's comment about it not being a long term injury or one that requires surgery was typical.

Last edited:

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
3-10-2 would be really bad considering they're 2-6-1 without him so far this season, and six of those games were also without Ghost.

Actually those numbers are exactly right. 2-6-1 is getting 27% of the total possible points. 3-10-2 is exactly 27% of total possible points. Just saying. :yo:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I'd lay my head on the railroad tracks
And wait for the Double "E"
But the railroad don't run no more
Poor, poor pitiful me

Poor, poor pitiful me
Poor, poor pitiful me
These injuries won't let Couts be
Lord have mercy on me
Woe is me

Love all the Zevon going on in this thread!!!!

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Read-Giroux-Simmonds
Voracek-Laughton-Schenn
Raffl-Cousins-Weal
VDV-PEB-White

This seems like a mess, but I'm a bit interested in trying it. Setting Laughton up with two of the teams best offensive wingers might allow him to step up. Given Laughton's usage so far this season, I doubt that this lineup is iced. Just really want to see the kid succeed. He's really struggled this season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad