News Article: Couture named to All Star Game (replaced by Hertl)

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
The only good recent ASG was the John Scott one, and the NHL did all they could to make sure that that level of fun would never happen again.
For sure. I'm still kind of ambivalent about the whole whirlwind of nonsense that got him in, but seeing Big John out there pretending to fight Patrick Kane and scoring against guys that are definitely better than him was a great reminder that this is a kid's game that these guys play because they love it. I wish the NHL would've leaned into that and brought some joy into the game. It doesn't have to be super-macho-serious all the time.

Reactions: Phu and gaucholoco3

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Now who do you think is the best option? Wouldn’t be that super stud Karlsson would it? Evidently, other people don’t think so.
It would not be Karlsson either. Your infatuation with him is so weird. You have such an irrational hate for him that you can’t be objective at all. So your posts all just come off as petty and vindictive.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
For sure. I'm still kind of ambivalent about the whole whirlwind of nonsense that got him in, but seeing Big John out there pretending to fight Patrick Kane and scoring against guys that are definitely better than him was a great reminder that this is a kid's game that these guys play because they love it. I wish the NHL would've leaned into that and brought some joy into the game. It doesn't have to be super-macho-serious all the time.

The ASG is itself a gimmick. The fans wanted Scott in, they got it, as it should be. Any sort of pretense the league wants around the event is absolutely meaningless.

Reactions: Phu and Sandisfan

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
The All Star game was deemed pointless the second our former captain called his shot and ended any chance of anything as cool ever happening again, other than Ovechkin antics at skill day.
h012423A-1.jpg

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Logan's just analyzing the play and letting us know what could've been done to prevent it next time. Sure he could've said nothing to the media and just waited until his teammates are in the film room to say 'hey, EK this is what you did wrong here', but what he's saying in the media isn't egregious.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Logan's just analyzing the play and letting us know what could've been done to prevent it next time. Sure he could've said nothing to the media and just waited until his teammates are in the film room to say 'hey, EK this is what you did wrong here', but what he's saying in the media isn't egregious.
And they all know what Couture is like. It's not like he changed when they named him captain. If they, as a group, were uncomfortable with him being captain then they should have advocated against him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

It is though, captains/players that say every little thing to the media sooner or later will be tuned out like a coach gets when the results are not there.

And i have said this before and i will continue to say it. Players like couture that airs the teams dirty laundry to the media at every turn better make sure that they are perfect hockey players that does not make any mistakes. And the whole calling out players to the media gets worse when its a veteran player.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And they all know what Couture is like. It's not like he changed when they named him captain. If they, as a group, were uncomfortable with him being captain then they should have advocated against him.

Maybe the veterans did? But from all the talk about this choosing of the captaincy it sounds like the players had 0 say in who got it. This was a management/coaching decision and nothing else.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

It wouldn't be unheard of for someone to change up a bit when giving a leadership role or additional power. Logan was never shy about saying things, but it feels like he is yapping even more this year.

It's a bit rich when he is not even leading by example most games, as he has been generally invisible for most of the year. He always gets his points though.

As for the thread topic, the ASG, I really just want the fantasy draft back. That was fun, and funny to me, and its stuff like that which gives you a bit a glimpse into the players personalities which is what the ASG should be IMO. I really hate the 4 teams by division thing.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
It wouldn't be unheard of for someone to change up a bit when giving a leadership role or additional power. Logan was never shy about saying things, but it feels like he is yapping even more this year.

It's a bit rich when he is not even leading by example most games, as he has been generally invisible for most of the year. He always gets his points though.

As for the thread topic, the ASG, I really just want the fantasy draft back. That was fun, and funny to me, and its stuff like that which gives you a bit a glimpse into the players personalities which is what the ASG should be IMO. I really hate the 4 teams by division thing.
I feel like the NHL has a great handle on what makes the event fun. They're excellent at identifying and removing those elements.

Fixed all-star weekend:
-Fantasy draft with a 2-drink minimum and isolated Ovi-cam
-Skills competition involving children, Johnny Gaudreau, and randomly selected people from the audience
-Skills competition judges like the NBA dunk contest, preferably also with a 2-drink minimum (Bonus points if you can get Charles Barkley)
-A wild-card team consisting of John Scott, Brad Marchand, Claude Giroux and Roberto Luongo, mic'd to the PA at all times
-Chuck-a-puck for a million dollars (or the free Honda or whatever)

Reactions: Dicdonya

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't send anyone.

They need to send someone to replace couture. But i am not entirely sure if it has to be a shark player. It would be right for it to be a shark player since couture is the lone representative for the sharks. So thats an entire fan base that is basically going to avoid the all star game.

Reactions: Phu

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They need to send someone to replace couture. But i am not entirely sure if it has to be a shark player. It would be right for it to be a shark player since couture is the lone representative for the sharks. So thats an entire fan base that is basically going to avoid the all star game.
Meant to say from the Sharks, not in general lol.

We'll see if the league cares about the Sharks base or not.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
With how much the sharks have embarrassed the league in the last year and how much a joke the team is, I could see them "forgetting"to name a replacement

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
has a team ever been not represented at the asg in modern times?

Yes. John Scott was voted onto team (Arizona?), got traded to Montreal. Wore "NHL" logo rather than team logo for his ASG participation.

With Fleury declining participation, and Couture out, that's at least two Pacific Division teams that might be without representative. My guess is the league will do what it can to have both teams represented. (IIRC, it's 11-man division squad. So, that should be 3 "extra" spaces to be filled by "last man in" votes and league selections. Fleury replaced by Vancouver's Markstrom. So, VGK would like to see Pacioretty named to squad via last man in.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad