Countdown to Camp - Semyon Varlamov

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
For this segment of Countdown to Camp we will turn our attention to our number 1 goalie, Semyon Varlamov.

How great is Varly? I mean, seriously? He has always shown his world class athleticism and would make highlight reel saves on the regular, but that was mostly due to him being out of position. He was also prone to the soft goal from time to time. Even in those days, I loved what he brought to the table and wished he would get some real instruction and put it all together. Well, guess what? Last year, Allaire worked wonders with this guy and instructed Varly on how to use his natural gifts toward being a consistent brick wall. He was able to swallow up pucks like never before, always square to the shot and rarely leaving any net for the opposing shooter to see.

My only improvement that I would like to see from last season is how he approaches big games. He was a sponge in most regular season games and once the pressure was on, it was like he was a stiff rubber material with pucks bouncing off of him on every shot. He just needs to work on his nerves in these situations.

So, how many games to we see Varly suit up for (assuming a full healthy season)? What range will his GAA and SV% be? How many wins for his starts do we see this year? Will he provide unsustainable stats for yet another year or will he crash back down to earth?

131031152844-semyon-varlamov-single-image-cut.jpg

480549119_slide.jpg

varlamov-semyon-05286689.jpg

Semyon-Varlamov.jpg

103013_varlamov.jpg

Semyon-Varlamov.jpg

103113_varly.jpg

Semyon+Varlamov+Vancouver+Canucks+v+Colorado+E5ZO4CoUuwLl.jpg

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
i guess slightly worse than last season, but still good

60 games, 37 wins .918 sv and a 2.35 gaa would be fine with me

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I expect to see the same Varly. stats may be slightly up or down but he'll be the consistent force he was all last year. I agree that I'd like to see playoff improvement but Varly was great at handling pressure during the season. "The Comeback Kids" as Mike Haynes loves to say wouldn't have existed without some crazy saves from Varly.

Hoping for a lack of allegations against him this year as well. That was annoying to deal with on HF even though it didn't throw Varly's game off.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
should've gone to his insty for photos!

http://instagram.com/s_varlamov

:laugh:

I think he'll continue to be successful. Hopefully he has some help this year.

Bah! I don't do the whole Instagram or Twitter thing. I just like to use the Google images to find the best derp face/funny pictures for this series.

I think he will continue to be stellar, as he was last year. I don't think the team will have as many wins so his wins will decrease a little bit but I think his GAA and SV% stay similar to last season.

55 GP 34 wins ; 2.48 GAA ; .925 SV%

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
MacKs lady is a banger. I crept hard.

Seriously though, how great does that Varlamov trade look now? For what would've been Filip Forsberg. Mad applause.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I don't see Varly regressing at all. We all knew he had this in him. This isn't Varly all of a sudden getting lucky for no reason. It's not a coincidence that as soon as the team gets a full time goalie coach in Allaire and his crew that we see Varly come out and dominate like we know he can. I look forward to watching him again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Varly is the real deal so I'm not worried about him falling back to earth or other nonsense. Will he get nominated for the Vezina every year, probably not and he's another one I worry about injury karma catching up just because he was healthy all season. Roy said goalies need to have a save % at .920 or better and I think Varly can achieve that consistently.

Varly was a first round pick, he was always known as talented. It's not like he randomly threw up some spectacular season. And I dont think his career averages are pegged at all, playing in front of bad teams that gave up on defense might skew the numbers a tad. Why doesn't anyone ever mention Bishop regressing? And he's coming off of a pretty significant injury too.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
bishop already started to regress towards the end of the season. though he had so ridiculous sv% that it was going to happen. and he had some hand injury or something from january that he played through.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Varly is a beast. Won't do as good as last season, but still have another solid season no less. I'd say he gets around 35 wins and .920 SV% and I'd be happy with that.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Prediction: .956 sv% 1.01 GAA. Stanley Cup. Conn Smythe Trophy. Winner of Dancing with the Stars. Dating non-deranged women.

All in all, a pretty good year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes