Countdown to Camp - Nathan MacKinnon

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You know I think we're all trying not to get too carried away with our expectations, but given how young he was last year, and how quick of a learner he is, maybe he does make a jump to elite numbers early in his career like Stamkos.

A lot of it will come down to chemistry on his line. Landy is basically a lock as his winger spending most of last year on his line, and never really having great chemistry with Duchene.

Nate needs a puck distributor on his line though and while Landy is a little underrated in that department, it's not really his game. That's why chambers essentially making up that Iggy will be the RWer is a little silly, because that's not really his game either.

Tanguay is the perfect fit. He needs a guy that can find him with a tape to tape pass in flight in the neutral zone, or a cross ice in the zone, or pass from down low to him as he darts into a hole.

If that line clicks and they stay healthy, maybe he surprises even us. Given his off season the writing certainly is on the wall a bit.

Yeah, I don't see how it's not Lando-MacK-Tangs. Lando-Staz-MacK played so well together, and Tangs is a lot like Staz. I would prefer to have our top snipers (MacK and Iggy) with our top passers as well (Duchene and Tangs).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Plz

I am going to buy a MacKinnon Jersey. Do you think he will change his jersey number for #22 this year ?

Thanks

They probably would have announced it, or someone would have got the scoop by now.

He was still wearing 29 at the media event this year, and this is the most recent pic on the Avs instagram.

10693681_371075336380531_118054349_a.jpg

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Practicing his shot in the backyard like he used to do as a kid. Crazy.

I love him already even if he never "progresses" but boy does it feel like the start of something special. I don't even really know what that means either.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Damn 13 pounds of muscle in 3-4 months is beyond crazy even with hockey personal trainers. Next summer I'm gonna eat 3500 calories a day and workout hard to get on dat MACK progress. *Gains 3 pounds of muscle and 20 pounds of fat*

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
I wonder if Duchene is also training with them? He trained with Sidney last summer since they have the same trainer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nothing too insightful but nothing I disagree with either. Solid article and it's always nice to have a reason to remember Claude, plus seeing his positivity is great to. I totally agree on his point about this being the important season for joe and Patrick to evaluate where this team is going and what exactly needs to happen to get there.

That's part of why I'm a lot less worried about ROR leaving as FA than a lot of people. Patrick loves him, and come next season we should have extensions worked out with EJ, MacK and Barrie to tie down the entire core long term. And then we'll know if we can give ryan the money he wants and bring in a FA dman, and if the numbers work I don't see Patrick and joe hesitating to wrap the deal up if Ryan just repeats last year, much less taking another one of his annual surprising strides. This summer we had so much going on and still so many uncertainties, by this time next summer we should have no outstanding big issues other than Ryan with a clear picture of what numbers we can work with.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
http://i1.wp.com/www.powerscouthock...ds/2014/10/Speed-vs-Acceleration-graphic3.png

Interesting chart about players acceleration and top speed (from Freidman's 30 thoughts). Tavares sure has improved a lot. I wonder what Duchene clocks in at.

I saw that referenced in something else a little while ago. I didn't get the impression they had a very big sample size, or that it was very accurate. Just reminded me of more poorly thought out analytics, lazily used to make a point in an article.

I'm pretty sure Crosby will tell you he doesn't have better acceleration than Mack, and neither do Kesler and Tavares for sure.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Anyone catch Scott Hastings calling MacKinnon a brat on the radio today? I read about it on the twittersphere, so it must be true.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad