Countdown to Camp - Nathan MacKinnon

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Today we take a look at our budding young star, Ken MacNathanon....erm.... Nathan MacKinnon. Some of my thunder was stolen by another MacKinnon thread in our forum but this one is part of the Countdown to Camp series and it has pictures!

MacK started the year on the third line, playing between McGinn and PAP. This line looked like it would flourish, especially against teams with shallower depth. Injuries happened.... yada yada yada.... you know the rest. MacK was given a larger role and absolutely killed it on the offensive side of the puck. He was sheltered defensively by his linemates but will look to take more of the defensive burden as (presumably) our second line center, most likely flanked by Landy and (blank). He was outstanding after he learned a bit of the NHL game and showcased glimpses of the projected dominance that we will hopefully continue to see.

Will the new Buff MacK be able to continue to be shifty and use his speed game to take over the play? Can he really have become faster out of the gate? Who will flank his right side? Tangs? Iggy? Berra? Will he be able to take on the added defensive burden that comes with being a center at this level? What sort of point totals can we expect to see this year?

20140415__20140416_B1_SP16HKNAVS~p1.jpg

MacKinnon-celly.jpg

hkn_avs_mackinnon.jpg

nhlawardsmackinnon.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Would not be surprised if he is the Avs best player by the end of the season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While he wasn't particularly sheltered as a rookie, playing with Stastny/Landeskog probably made the jump to NHL easier. Now he'll be under more pressure to make things happen on his line. Hope he's ready to take another step.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
That thread on the main board has me picturing a very obese MacKinnon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That thread on the main board has me picturing a very obese MacKinnon.

I was amazed by two things after scanning that thread.

1) The amount of fitness "experts" there are on HF.

and

2) 99% of the posts in the thread were about Nate's body and not Vanessa Morgan.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm always surprised by the knowledge and resourcefulness of HF posters. They are all fitness experts, legal analysts, and medical doctors.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm always surprised by the knowledge and resourcefulness of HF posters. They are all fitness experts, legal analysts, and medical doctors.

You forgot to mention practitioners of the black art known as Oxford Commas.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
More praise, this time from Bob McKenzie...

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/9/9/mckenzie-skys-the-limit-for-avs-mackinnon
“I think sky’s the limit... it’s funny. I mean, he’s still junior-age, or whatever, and I just feel like Nathan MacKinnon can be one of the very best players in the game. And I realize he’s very young and you don’t want to burden anybody with expectations that are too great, but what we saw of him in the playoffs and he just took off... and all the reports I’ve gotten this summer is physically he’s becoming a beast. That he’s really getting a lot stronger. He’s physically maturing. He’s already got dynamic speed and strength, but I think the workouts that he’s done this year with Andy O’Brien and working with Sidney Crosby and Matt Duchene and all of those guys that time in Vail, Colorado in the off-season, I think he’s even going to take another quantum leap forward from what we saw in the playoffs.

“Again, you hate with a 19 going on 20-year-old kid to put unrealistic expectations on him, and there’s going to be some ups and downs to his game, but I think he’s got the tools to be one of the most exciting, most dynamic players in the game and I won’t be surprised if he plays like a prime time guy that’s one of the top 1-15 guys in the National Hockey League this year.â€

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You can listen to that interview here (starts around 7:10): http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_BobMcKenzie_Sept9.mp3

I had a big grin on my face while listening to him talk about MacKinnon. So damn excited for what's to come.

Best part of that interview:

“Yeah, I think this kid’s going to be even better than a lot of people – and we all thought he was going to be great – and we all remember once was it him or Seth Jones, and they’re both great - but I just think this guy’s got an extra gear that will put him in that same sort of level as Stamkos bordering on Crosby because of the dynamic speed and strength, the offensive ability.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Exciting times to b a fan of a Hockey and a fan of Avs
When other teams fans comment on how fun he is to watch it's music to my ears!

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm just thinking about tanking and getting McDavid. Regression and all.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
With him being bigger, stronger, and even more explosive, I might have to revise that 35-40 goals prediction. Might be too low. :naughty:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You know I think we're all trying not to get too carried away with our expectations, but given how young he was last year, and how quick of a learner he is, maybe he does make a jump to elite numbers early in his career like Stamkos.

A lot of it will come down to chemistry on his line. Landy is basically a lock as his winger spending most of last year on his line, and never really having great chemistry with Duchene.

Nate needs a puck distributor on his line though and while Landy is a little underrated in that department, it's not really his game. That's why chambers essentially making up that Iggy will be the RWer is a little silly, because that's not really his game either.

Tanguay is the perfect fit. He needs a guy that can find him with a tape to tape pass in flight in the neutral zone, or a cross ice in the zone, or pass from down low to him as he darts into a hole.

If that line clicks and they stay healthy, maybe he surprises even us. Given his off season the writing certainly is on the wall a bit.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
Plz

I am going to buy a MacKinnon Jersey. Do you think he will change his jersey number for #22 this year ?

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad