Countdown to Camp - Matt Duchene

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I expect Dutchy to come back after last year's disappointing season and be on fire...I think he'll hit PPG.

As far as his linemates go...I'd really like to see Grigorenko/Everberg-Duchene-Iginla

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
It was this boards impression from the beginning that Iginla wasn't terrific at winning puck battles.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just hope that at some point they free Duchene of Iginla. I know Iggy's shot is still gold, and that he almost hit 30 goals, which avs players aren't allowed to do anymore, but he's just so terrible against the puck...or with the puck on his stick...and he's so slow...and Matty differed to Iginla on the ice way too ****ing much. If we see star-struck duchene doing everything so that iggy can just cruise to his spots and tee up I hope Roy pulls the plug quickly. Luckily between Rantanen, Greg, Everberg, Rendulic, Comeau, and Tanguay; by the end of the year we should be able to give Matt a line where both of his wingers can help him create, as well as get the puck back.

I'm hoping some combination of those guys around duchene lets our 2nd and 3rd liners be:

Landeskog - Yeti - MacK
Tanguay - Greg - Iginla

With the Landy line getting a much heavier defensive workload than the Iggy line.

Agree to disagree. Duchene had an extremely difficult time suppressing shots when playing with Iggy.

I agree with both of you. Dutchy-Iggy were bad together, and Dutchy-Malkin were bad together. Both are bad fits for Duchene.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I just hope that at some point they free Duchene of Iginla. I know Iggy's shot is still gold, and that he almost hit 30 goals, which avs players aren't allowed to do anymore, but he's just so terrible against the puck...or with the puck on his stick...and he's so slow...and Matty differed to Iginla on the ice way too ****ing much. If we see star-struck duchene doing everything so that iggy can just cruise to his spots and tee up I hope Roy pulls the plug quickly. Luckily between Rantanen, Greg, Everberg, Rendulic, Comeau, and Tanguay; by the end of the year we should be able to give Matt a line where both of his wingers can help him create, as well as get the puck back.

I'm hoping some combination of those guys around duchene lets our 2nd and 3rd liners be:

Landeskog - Yeti - MacK
Tanguay - Greg - Iginla

With the Landy line getting a much heavier defensive workload than the Iggy line.

I agree with both of you. Dutchy-Iggy were bad together, and Dutchy-Malkin were bad together. Both are bad fits for Duchene.

...simpatico!:)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Agree to disagree. Duchene had an extremely difficult time suppressing shots when playing with Iggy.

What do you mean agree to disagree? You said Duchene was more effective with Mitchell than Iginla and I pointed out that he wasn't with statistics.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Getting Duchene away from Iginla and potentially putting him with Comeau, Everberg, Rendulic, etc at some point just seems bizarre to me. Maybe Rantanen could be an option later in the season but keep Duchene with Iginla.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I don't get why Landy and Mack can't play on Duchene's line. I mean he's the best guy we have on draws and he's solid defensively. Sure they might not have chemistry right away, but if Duchene can't work with them as his linemates, I'm sorry but he doesn't deserve any good ones. Landy wins the board battles, is elite defensively, and really physical while Mack is super dynamic and pretty much the only guy on the team that can keep up with Dutchy stride for stride.

That's the one thing I loved about ROR, we could pretty much stick him on any line with any kind of players and he'd make that line and those players better, someone as special as Duchene should at least be able to do the same.

Landy-Dutchy-Mack
Tangs-Yeti-Iggy
GlenX-Grigs-¿Como?
Malkin-Winch-Everbeast

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I don't get why Landy and Mack can't play on Duchene's line. I mean he's the best guy we have on draws and he's solid defensively. Sure they might not have chemistry right away, but if Duchene can't work with them as his linemates, I'm sorry but he doesn't deserve any good ones. Landy wins the board battles, elite defensively, and super physical while Mack is super dynamic and pretty much the only guy on the team that can keep up with Dutchy stride for stride.

Landy-Dutchy-Mack
Tangs-Yeti-Iggy
GlenX-Grigs-¿Como?
Malkin-Winch-Everbeast

Chemistry is a tricky thing to pin down. I do know Dutchy played with Mack at the Worlds, im not sure how good they looked ( I should watch those games) but he never really clicked with Landy. Dutchy seemed like he was at an uber elite level when he was with Hall and Eberle but those two are top of the heap offensive guys. It happens, OTT thought Ryan and Spezza was automatic but he ends up with Turris ?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They worked it out at Worlds but of course that was after literally running into eachother on the ice. They CAN do it, it's not like they are incapable of playing together, I just don't want to see it as a long term idea. Playing for Canada is always a bit different because they get less ice time, it's more about keeping it simple, playing well defensively and letting opportunities come.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
They worked it out at Worlds but of course that was after literally running into eachother on the ice. They CAN do it, it's not like they are incapable of playing together, I just don't want to see it as a long term idea. Playing for Canada is always a bit different because they get less ice time, it's more about keeping it simple, playing well defensively and letting opportunities come.

Ideally, long-term, Mack is a C so they should only play together maybe this season until we get Rantanen and Radulov into the lineup. I don't think it would hurt to have someone else take some pressure off a recently turned 20 year old Mack for a year, while he develops his game and gets some pointers from Duchene. The best players in the league adapt to their linemates, Duchene hasn't shown he's able to do that yet. Sure chemistry just clicks for some people, but like most things in life you usually have to work at it and build it, it's not usually built overnight. It seems like Duchene is way more focused on his game than the line's and it shows.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
plus that 2nd line way too slow.

All that speed is negated when Duchene has to slow down so that Iggy and Tangs can catch up to him. It doesn't do much good when Duchene is in the offensive zone by himself going against two guys, while Iggy and Tangs are just getting out of the defensive zone.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
All that speed is negated when Duchene has to slow down so that Iggy and Tangs can catch up to him. It doesn't do much good when Duchene is in the offensive zone by himself, while Iggy and Tangs are just getting out of the defensive zone.

not saying that tangs-duch-iggy combo is good either. i'd prefer to have someone else there. maybe comeau or even rantanen in place of tangs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
People really overestimate how Dutchy's linemates skating effects him. The players he has shown the most chemistry with have not been good skaters.

I'm expecting Comeau or Tangs to start with Duchene, and Rantanen to come up around Feb to take that spot. Grigorenko needs somebody who can be a good forechecker to help him out (at least for the first part of the season). GlenX can be (seems to have gotten away from it, but ability is there) so if he comes to camp, I can see him with Grigs and Tangs. But if GlenX isn't coming to camp, or doesn't make the team, Comeau may have to start with Grigs to give him somebody that can do some board work.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
People really overestimate how Dutchy's linemates skating effects him. The players he has shown the most chemistry with have not been good skaters.

I'm expecting Comeau or Tangs to start with Duchene, and Rantanen to come up around Feb to take that spot. Grigorenko needs somebody who can be a good forechecker to help him out (at least for the first part of the season). GlenX can be (seems to have gotten away from it, but ability is there) so if he comes to camp, I can see him with Grigs and Tangs. But if GlenX isn't coming to camp, or doesn't make the team, Comeau may have to start with Grigs to give him somebody that can do some board work.

it's not just about skating speed but how fast you can play. many of those other guys could play fast even if they didn't have blazing speed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
it's not just about skating speed but how fast you can play. many of those other guys could play fast even if they didn't have blazing speed.

I wouldn't say PAP could play fast. He was a good give and go player. Flash was much the same, but he did move at a quicker pace in the offensive zone (mostly quicker decisions when he had the puck). Tangs can play a similar game to both of them... I'd say at an even higher and at as quick, if not quicker, pace.

The problem with a Tangs-Duchene-Iggy line isn't offensively, it is defensively. Rantanen doesn't help defensively for this season (I'd argue offensively as well for this season). Comeau helps defensively, but hurts offensively as he is pretty much just a forechecker and shooter offensively.

With Duchene, the Avs are kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't with him and Grigs both at center.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think you build lines around combos, so basically the top two combos being:

Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-Soderberg

That leaves players like MacKinnon, Tanguay, Grigorenko, Rantanen, Comeau etc. to fill in to see what the best 3rd player for each line is.

I mean realistically I'd be shocked to see MacKinnon not playing with Soderberg and Landy to begin the year, meaning they really just need to find that 3rd guy for the Duchene and Iginla pairing. Right now I'd say the front runner has to be Tanguay, but I'd like to see Rantanen and Grigorenko both get a shot with Duchene.

I could also see Roy really wanting to leave Grigorenko at center. Leaving him on the 3rd line most like with Comeau.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't get why Landy and Mack can't play on Duchene's line. I mean he's the best guy we have on draws and he's solid defensively. Sure they might not have chemistry right away, but if Duchene can't work with them as his linemates, I'm sorry but he doesn't deserve any good ones. Landy wins the board battles, is elite defensively, and really physical while Mack is super dynamic and pretty much the only guy on the team that can keep up with Dutchy stride for stride.

That's the one thing I loved about ROR, we could pretty much stick him on any line with any kind of players and he'd make that line and those players better, someone as special as Duchene should at least be able to do the same.

Landy-Dutchy-Mack
Tangs-Yeti-Iggy
GlenX-Grigs-¿Como?
Malkin-Winch-Everbeast

Mack and Dutch both need the puck. They both are better when they carry the biscuit. It wont work it hasnt worked and it WONT WORK. Mack playing with Soda will work I will bet Marc-Andre Cliches life on it.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Duchene started to look much better post all star break, and his PP points should go up, but I don't know if he will be a ppg. I can see landeskog and mackinnon flirting with 70, but the more I think about Duchene I just don't know if he will ever get back there. I hope I am wrong though.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duchene started to look much better post all star break, and his PP points should go up, but I don't know if he will be a ppg. I can see landeskog and mackinnon flirting with 70, but the more I think about Duchene I just don't know if he will ever get back there. I hope I am wrong though.

Duchene wants to be on that World Cup team. Hes going to have a monster year if healthy and I think he flirts with 80 points. How about that?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love for our lines to look something like this come playoff time;

Comeau - Duchene - Rantanen
Landeskog - Soda - MacKinnon
Tanguay - Grigorenko - Iginla
McCleod - Malkin - Winch/EVB

or

Rantanen - Dutchy - Iggy
Landeskog - Soda - MacK
Tanguay - Greg - Comeau
Cody - Malkin - Winch/EVB

If Comeau can play the McGinn role on Dutchy's line I'd love for Greg to get both Tangs and Iggy; but if that line needs Comeau's all around game more than Iggy's shot and Comeau's not up to the task of playing third wheel to Dutchy-Rantanen, then the second option would work for me to...even though I'd love to see Iggy relegated to an offensive third line on Greg or Soda's wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad