Countdown to Camp - Matt Duchene

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
For the third installment, we will be discussing every non-Avalanche fan's favorite Avalanche, Matt Duchene.

In all fairness, it's hard not to like the guy. Whether he is buying an auctioned jersey (of another team) for a young girl or he is showcasing his world class speed with his skates and hands, he is just an all around entertaining fellow. The only knock I even have on him is that he likes country. A lot.

Last year, I would say that he came into camp in the best shape of his life and hopefully he duplicates his training going into this season.

Will Duchene receive an "A" this year? If so, does he change how he approaches the game because of it? Can he finally break that point per game mark? How many goals and assists can this guy realistically get in an 82 game, healthy season?

duchene.jpg

Matt-Duchene-2.jpg

Avalanche%20Blues%20Hockey_r620x349.JPEG

duchene.jpg

Matt+Duchene+Calgary+Flames+v+Colorado+Avalanche+TdEu_1IVHWMl.jpg

162887149_slide.jpg

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
He's a part of the reason this team has a shot. And he keeps improving his two-way game every season. He improves there again this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't expect him to get much better offensively as he is right in his prime now. If he plays 82 games he should be in the 80 point range. Where he needs and should grow is in his 2 way game. He is going to have a shoulder a bigger load defensively for this team to be successful.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Total pro, on and off the ice. Hopefully he can build on last season and improve a bit defensively.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Love Matt Duchene. My favourite player in the NHL, not close. This guy has serious passion for hockey. He will be in great shape for next season, no doubt. How can anyone dislike him? Maybe because he's too good, but otherwise? Seriously.. He's amazing!

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I'd be a fan of him having the "A" that Stastny left. He seemed to have gotten a lot more consistent last year and also has harnessed his energy a bit more - less spinny, more north-south. He also used to get so down on himself when he slumped but last year he really just pushed through times when it wasn't going his way and had an awesome season.

I think he could put up 85-90 if absolutely everything went right but I think right around ppg is more accurate.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Duchene finishes no lower than 5th in the Hart voting this year. You can take that to the bank. In fact, if that top line with O'Reilly and Iginla stays healthy all year, he will have a shot at Ross too. I can easily see a 25+70-95 year.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't expect him to get much better offensively as he is right in his prime now. If he plays 82 games he should be in the 80 point range. Where he needs and should grow is in his 2 way game. He is going to have a shoulder a bigger load defensively for this team to be successful.

I actually think he can improve his shot quite a bit. Dude can snipe with the best of them when he is on, as he showed early last year, but he looses the confidence to take those shots after missing a few of them wide or over the top, and he just starts shooting for the net instead of a small little spot.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Barring injury I think Matt will reach get 80-85 pts, while improving some defensively. Although I expect him to carry more defensive responsibilities I think he will benefit from the presence of Iginla. That and added experience should keep his ppg on par with last season. MacKinnon is my favorite player on the team, but Matt's a close second. His personality is quite endearing as well. His openness, which includes his willingness to talk about himself and his problems, makes it easier to identify with him. I like that. I also like that he does not think of himself first, but rather the team, as evidenced by his willingness to sign contracts with the team, which are below market value.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
He seemed to streamline parts of his game last year which was nice to see. Also encouraging to see that he can still produce offensively even if he isnt scoring the goals. He went through a streak where he was getting 2 apples like every night.
Go Matty

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think in Duchene and MacKinnon, we have a moderately lesser version of the Sakic/Forsberg 1-2 punch of old. It's a complement to what he brings to the team that he was already chosen on Canada's olympic squad over "better" players like Claude Giroux, and he's just getting started.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
~25g-65a this year feeding ROR and Iggy

Rounds out his offensive game and ability to work below the net much more. He'll become even more difficult to knock off the puck after shortening his stick and continuing his training with Crosby. He is the offensive catalyst of the team because imo MacKinnon isn't quite ready to step into those shoes. He'll need to step up his 2-way game.

Seems like an all around great guy, very classy, very open, very passionate. It's too easy to like him.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
in the last three years we have seen MD go from a me first player... to a player who is thinking team offense.... an amazing change. No team can afford a me first great player, it kills the spirit of a team. We have seen the beginning of a player who if he continues to refine his play could really add another level of play to his linemates...
MD on defense is the biggest question.... we will see how he improves this year.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Duchene really was a beast at times last season !!! I absolutely love this guy ! I remember watching that game against Carolina at the beginning of the 13-14 season and being astonished at the skill he displayed during those 60 minutes !

He really is a perfect representative for the Avalanche ; really hope he gets the 'A'.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
If he stays healthy, I think Duchene pots 30 this year. If he didnt have that goal slump last year, he would have done it then.

If the Defense is better, I think Duchene is our MVP this year.

If the Defense is just as bad and Varly plays out of his mind again, it will be Varly.

Also I think its time Duchene gets the "A" as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
put me in the group that would give duchene teh 'A', too. he's matured a lot in past few years.

going to make a prediction and say duchene finishes second in scoring for central division.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Duchene is guaranteed to pot assists. The question is whether his goal scoring streak was a fluke or not. He'll pot some goals but not at that pace he started last season on. I think 30 goal mark is high for him. I'd be pretty shocked if he got there.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
weird thing.. duchene has higher shot rate 5on5 than he has on the pp...

i expect hi to get little higher G/A ratio next year. he actually had fairly low sh% 5on5.. iirc, he was on 40 goal pace for like 20-30 games and then went that ridiculous streak of 1 or 2 goals in over 20 games or something. assist rate was still ridiculous. 4th best in the league 5on5.

he added some nice elements to his game last year, really excited to see what he can do next year. a little more speed on the shot would be nice.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think MacKinnon's ascension to stardom and Duchene's goal scoring slump, combined with his injury, made me forget just how good a season he was having last year before his injury. He really was in the MVP running for the first few months.

I just hope for more of the same offensively, with improved defense.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If he maintains confidence/consistency he should be around. 25-30 goals and 50 assists in a full season.

Having Duchene and Mac down the middle is such a blessing. If one of them slumps we still have the other. They are going to win us a lot of games.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
One of the first Avs games I ever watched was the game where Duchene gets the puck between his legs and scores against Pittsburgh. I was totally sold. My favourite Av hands down.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's looking more and more like Crosby down low in the offensive zone. He's so strong that he now has the confidence to challenge defenders and more often than not he can hold them off and find space to make a play. Earlier in his career he'd throw the puck on net or peel off into the corner instead.

Hopefully MacKinnon can pick up the same thing, working out with both Duchene and Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad