Countdown to Camp - Gabriel Landeskog

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
We begin this holiday-shortened week by taking a look at our captain (and who doesn't like looking at him, seriously), Gabriel Landeskog.

Landy was excellent in his rookie year with his powerful play, hitting everything in sight and driving to the net, potting several goals. It looked like we had an energy guy with good offensive instincts. Year two was injury plagued and pretty much a write-off for ole cap. Year three saw some pretty spectacular transformation in his game. Landy developed a more cerebral, defensive power forward style who still had a nose for the net and still occasionally turns on his patented "viking mode." He is beginning to grow into his captaincy and is a good candidate for continued improvement in all facets of his game due to his work ethic and IQ.

This year, it is pretty well set that a Landy - MacK line will happen. Who fills out the line? Can Landeskog continue to develop into a perennial 20 goal scorer or can he reach the 30 goal plateau? Will his defensive play continue to improve and rub off on his linemates or give them enough freedom offensively? Will we see more viking mode or will that style of play begin to fade?

*Note: This guy doesn't really take a bad picture, apparently. So, it was hard to find any real derp-faced/funny photos on my rudimentary Google images search.

gabriel_landeskog_col_020712_2.jpg

Gabriel_Landeskog_Avalanche.jpg

hi-res-160133314_crop_north.jpg

20111027__avs-gabriel-landeskog-goal~p1.jpg

610x-210.jpg

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
*Note: This guy doesn't really take a bad picture, apparently. So, it was hard to find any real derp-faced/funny photos on my rudimentary Google images search.

Holy crap, you're right... I think we've identified Barney's Swedish Doppleganger.

Gabriel+Landeskog+2012+NHL+Awards+Portraits+7Zl_9Tw1XrOl.jpg

Barneys_blog_perfect_picture.jpg

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
He's got to be one of the most poised players in the NHL at 21. He's just so patient and awesome.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I have a feeling he's going to be the scapegoat now that Stastny is gone :laugh:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I have a feeling he's going to be the scapegoat now that Stastny is gone :laugh:
Nah, it would probably be O'Reilly given the contract stuff.

Landy is a beast. He and MacKinnon are going to be a powerful duo for the next decade or so that other teams will have their hands full with.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure if sniper or just flubbing the puck at the net.

His shots look so innocent, but they just seem to go in.

He's good at getting to scoring areas and has a quick release. If he had a great shot, he'd score 40 goals.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Even Duncan Siemens can't dampen my awesome feeling about that 2011 draft. Look at that first round - barely anyone else has even made a dent in this league, and we got freaking Gabe Landeskog.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Landy sometimes gets lost in the shuffle when flashier guys like Duchene and MacKinnon are around. One reason why I think the captain role is good for him, lets him have an identity on the team and he is the right guy for it. He's a very interesting player, isn't really comparable to any one player. Not exactly a power forward, not exactly an elite scorer, not exactly a two way force but just enough of all three and does it well that he really is unique. I'm so glad the Avs chose him, was probably the toughest choice among out lottery picks and they got it right.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Landy sometimes gets lost in the shuffle when flashier guys like Duchene and MacKinnon are around. One reason why I think the captain role is good for him, lets him have an identity on the team and he is the right guy for it. He's a very interesting player, isn't really comparable to any one player. Not exactly a power forward, not exactly an elite scorer, not exactly a two way force but just enough of all three and does it well that he really is unique. I'm so glad the Avs chose him, was probably the toughest choice among out lottery picks and they got it right.

That's why I think the Avs drafting at the top of the round is underrated.

Duchene was a no brainer. All 30 teams make that pick in that spot. Landy and Mack were probably in the minority, as in probably half the league might have taken Jones and Huberdeau or some other combination.

Not exactly terrible picks, but not the level of Landy and Nate IMO. Even Siemens could end up being the best pick or close to it at his spot in the first if he reaches his potential as a good #3/4, who knows. No ones really established themselves enough to know. Baertschi might jump ahead of him, but he still has to improve from what he's shown so far.

Last edited:

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
That's why I think the Avs drafting at the top of the round is underrated.

Duchene was a no brainer. All 30 teams make that pick in that spot. Landy and Mack were probably in the minority, as in probably half the league might have taken Jones and Huberdeau or some other combination.

Not exactly terrible picks, but not the level of Landy and Nate IMO. Even Siemens could end up being the best pick or close to it at his spot in the first if he reaches his potential as a good #3/4, who knows. No ones really established themselves enough to know. Baertschi might jump ahead of him, but he still has to improve from what he's shown so far.

Sven wasn't even the Flames best pick in 2011. Going to need a huge season to look like a viable top 6 prospect. Still take Duncan over him and most of the first round picks from 12-30 (except Matty P).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad