Countdown to Camp - Cody McLeod & Patrick Bordeleau

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
McLeod is not a good defender. He's just looking to hit people and gets out of position too much. He's a little better on the PK, but not really enough to pencil him in on a PK unit. It's more like "well, we got no one else". He should be a 1 role guy. And I would not be surprised to see him demoted to just one role this year. He might still get PK time, but I highly doubt he gets anywhere near the time he did last year on the 3rd line when he was used as the 4th/3rd line tweener once Tanguay was out and Mitchell was bumped up full time. More than likely Talbot plays that role this year. Plus, we brought in a bunch of guys who are potential call up options with skill sets suited for the 3rd line, unlike last year when it was basically just Malone, another guy in the mold of McLeod.

As for passing? Idk, hard to judge when you never really have the puck. I think you are overlooking how much Bordy improved in the skill area though. The puck/stick skill gap between the two closed a ton this past year. Bordy showed that he could use his size to carry the puck around and shield defenders, usually when others were making a change, and then make a nice little finesse pass to an open man.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
McL at least can.. skate pass play D play on PK.. in other words play hockey and fill an enforcer role given the confidence any athlete needs

not so for Bords.. one role guy

Bordy is one of the best skaters I've seen for a big man. Sure he's no Duchene or Mackinnon but for his role he's more than adequate a skater.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think that they alternate next to Winchester and talbot or Malkin until injuries hit. Highlander wasn't my just decent on the PK last year, he was good at it, so having talbot, Malkin, Winchester and Cody to handle the top two PK units sounds like a good solution to me, this is why I think Cody will get more games than bordy unless briere or McGinn shine on the PK early in the year.

Depending on who gets hurt I expect it to be one of these two, Hishon or cliche to get called into action, with Hishon being the least likely unless it's briere and Malkin that go down, and it's for an extended time, then I see Hishon being called up to play with McGinn and talbot or Winchester, while the other works with the goons on line 4

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bordy is one of the best skaters I've seen for a big man. Sure he's no Duchene or Mackinnon but for his role he's more than adequate a skater.

I love bordy, that gap-toothed grin is one of my favorite things to see on our bench, but bordy being a great skater for his size and role is what the phrase world's biggest-midget was created to describe. His skating is poor for a 4th liner, though I agree that he's still very effective with his size, toughness, fighting, and not completely useless with the puck -ness. Which is why I'd rather see him and highlander flank Malkin when an injury happens than for cliche to get into the team again.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I love bordy, that gap-toothed grin is one of my favorite things to see on our bench, but bordy being a great skater for his size and role is what the phrase world's biggest-midget was created to describe. His skating is poor for a 4th liner, though I agree that he's still very effective with his size, toughness, fighting, and not completely useless with the puck -ness. Which is why I'd rather see him and highlander flank Malkin when an injury happens than for cliche to get into the team again.

I'd say it's average he's got underrated footspeed his crossovers aren't great but if we are talking straight line skating he's better than average. When compared to other "Heavyweights" he'd be considered a top skater among them.

I'm Hopeful Cliche doesn't make the team. Only thing he brought was a decent defensive game, hopefully Winchester/Talbot/Mitchell can be relied on for that more, maybe give O'Reilly/Landeskog some extra responsibility.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Again, compared to heavyweights you're right. But compared to the average fourth liner his skating is very poor. Straight line it's not terrible but if he has to turn or move laterally he's ****ed. And I say this as a big fan who wants to see him in the lineup next to Winchester and malkin or talbs in most games.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Well like I said his crossover's aren't great, for somebody his size it's hard to take sharp turns. Tyler Myers is probably the best big man in the league on his feet and even he can't go from skating in a straight line to a strong pivot without losing alot of speed. This is why you see Duchene blowing past Weber on a consistent basis. Coming back to his straight line speed he's definitely above average than his fourth line counterparts heavyweight and non heavyweight players alike, unless we're thinking of a Jason Chimera type guy here.

You simply can't compare a guy who is 6'6+ and expect them to be as good an overall skater as a guy who is 6'0, so comparatively you have to take in his skating ability in for his role a "heavyweight" and not compare him to the Jay Mcclement's of the 4th line world.

Thing is if he didn't go his stint of what 40 games about fighting his role on the team wouldn't ever be in question, if we're using him as an everyday 4th liner sure there are better options, but if we're using him as a heavyweight there might be no better option. I think Bordy's going to be busier this year anyways. We'd always seem to get into a ruckus with the Blues. Winnipeg is a much bigger team then we are so we need someone to match up up front with their big guys the same could be said with the Kings, sharks and maybe even the Ducks. Calgary is dressing a goon squad this year, Oilers have Gazdic, Coyotes are entertaining Kassian on a tryout. Canucks dress Sestitio who's probably one of the other best big guys.

If we are playing teams like Nashville or Pittsburgh or even the Hawks who have no real physical threats or don't outsize us I couldn't care less if he's dressed.

If it comes down to him and Mcleod I'd say Mcleod's a better player but he really did nothing the second half of the season, had a down scoring year and throughout the past years everytime he got bagged fighting another heavyweight it seemed that if we had any momentum it would all fizzle out.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Both very underrated in terms of role on this team. They are loved by their teammates and makes all of the young guns feel more comfortable. Bordy jokes around and is a heavyweight, and McLeod is a great trash talker and agitator that stands up for everyone. That being said, they should only both be dressed at the same time if injuries are to occur. Vincour, Winchester, Talbot, Mitchell, McGinn, Briere, McLeod, Bordeleau are who will likely comprise the bottom 6. Mitchell, McGinn & Talbot/Briere likely make up line 3, so the rest can rotate between the 4th line and press box depending on our opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad