Countdown to Camp - Cody McLeod & Patrick Bordeleau

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Today, let us take a look at a couple of our enforcer types in Cody McLeod and Patrick Bordeleau.

These two seem to be great locker room guys. Cody has an "A" and Bordy pats everyone on the butt after every game as they re-enter the locker room. Outside of that, these are fourth line guys who don't add much in their 5-10 minutes of ice time per game. Sure, Cody used to hit and can play a decent PK and Bordy is good for the occasional [fluke] goal and can lay some massive hits, but I would be fine with upgrades. Part of our offseason saw the Avs going after more depth, which creates more competition. If some of the new signings or surprise prospects show their worth more than these two, we could see at least one becoming the 13th forward or sent to LE (less likely). The Avs have Talbot and Winchester already slated for the fourth line and it seems unlikely either is scratched, barring terrible camps.

Do we see both of these players suit up for the same game this season? Will one be consistently the 13th forward, will they alternate, or will they both play? Do either see time in LE this season? Will Cody regain his form of just two years ago or will he still play scared of suspension?

Cody+McLeod+Patrick+Bordeleau+tHIiqlfLNham.jpg

139369237_crop_north.jpg

940x.jpg

460x.jpg

leafs41.jpg

Patrick+Bordeleau+6e76gVSu8OGm.jpg

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

rsz_usatsi_5577636_149008644_lowres.jpg

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I would have no problem with both of these guys not being on the opening night roster. Along with Cliche, they were a terrible 4th line last year that got consistently pinned in their own end and couldn't spend any time in the offensive zone. Winchester is a good start at upgrading them. I'm hoping Vincour beats out these guys too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know what's going to become of either of these guys. Cody with the A, Bordy playing every game last year it seems like they are intrenched on the team but there is a lot of competition now. I think Roy saw the 4th line as a weakness and is willing to make changes.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think one or the other will be in the nightly lineup. If we need another PK then it will be McLeod. if not then it will be Bordy. And honestly, after seeing how much Bordy improved his skating and skill level last year I would not be surprised to see him work on his PK ability. He certainly has great size for blocking shots and clogging passing lanes. I don't see either playing more than an enforcer/agitator role 5 on 5 though, which favors Bordy. We should have enough guys in the system that can be called up(Hishon, Vincour, hopefully one of Rendulic/Everberg, NOT CLICHE, Street, Agozzino) that are better suited for a 3rd line role than McLeod.

I think it ends up being Bordy and we play some of our top guys on the PK. Talbot-Winchester, Mitchell-RoR/Lando (depending on line being used coming out of PK), and a hodgepodge of others like Iggy, Tangs and McGinn.

McLeod stays on as the 13th forward, but is traded as soon as Vincour is called up and everyone gets healthy again (both need to pass waivers), if Vincour is called up. We might just bring up guys like Hishon, Everberg and Rendulic though just so that we have a waiver except person to send back down. Hard to imagine Vincour does not get a shot at some point though. Why would he come back just to play in the AHL? Did he leave under Roy, or had he left when we still had Sacco (maybe it was more about Sacco than LE and he has no problem staying the entire year there)?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With the added toughness of Iginla, it makes one of McLeod or Bordy a little more expendable. So I imagine both won't be in the lineup together consistently until there are injuries. My gut feeling is this is McLeod's last year with the organization, so he will probably be the first to go. It might happen even quicker if one of the young guys can make some noise in training camp (looking at Heard here).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Only in video games, and on internet forums, does a guy like Thomas Vincour get in the lineup ahead of Cody McLeod on opening night.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Only in video games, and on internet forums, does a guy like Thomas Vincour get in the lineup ahead of Cody McLeod on opening night.

I wish there weren't some of the politics that go into the decision making because if Cody plays like he did last year he should not be in the lineup. I think he has an edge because of his tenure and rapport with the team. His ability to play the PK decently is his saving grace in my book.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
McLeod wasn't good last year. After the suspension he was hesitant to play physical. Bordeleau probably needs to fight a bit to motivate having him on the ice. He's a heavy hitter, but limited as a player.

Both of them are on the refs **** list so they don't get any breaks. Instead they get the odd phantom penalty.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Does McLeod get into the lineup because "he's good in the locker room"? Because he was bad on the ice last year.

I want Vincour (or anyone else, for that matter) to beat out one of them for that last spot. Neither of those two are fast or talented and they were useless in a lot of games last year. A little bit more puck skill on the 4th line would help them not being trapped in their zone 90% of their shifts. Do I think McLeod will lose his spot? Probably not, but he hasn't been good on the ice for a few years.

StayAtHomeAv said:
And honestly, after seeing how much Bordy improved his skating and skill level last year I would not be surprised to see him work on his PK ability.
Uh, Bordy on the PK will never happen. He has no defensive awareness.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Winchester is much more likely to take one of Bordy or McLeod's spot in the lineup than Vincour. I would even put it as probable that Winchester gets one... it would probably be Bordy's, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that Roy wants an enforcer on the ice so he goes with Winchester over McLeod.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McLeod isn't very good anymore but he's not too bad on the PK. I'd prefer someone better in his place but if none of the young guys step up, I don't have an issue with McLeod playing everyday.

Bordeleau trying to make a quick turn in the defensive zone is similar to a semi truck making a sharp turn on an icy road, he'll eventually do it but it's going to take him some time. He's the last guy I would want on the PK.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

:laugh:
A million times this.

As much as I love Bordy, he is too old school goonie. The tough guys of the league like Mcgratton and Westgarth are dinosaurs (no coincidence they both play for Hartley)
the league has moved on to goons that can play like Neil, Eakin :nod: and (even though i cant stand him) Lucic. Avs need to do the same...eventually.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A million times this.

As much as I love Bordy, he is too old school goonie. The tough guys of the league like Mcgratton and Westgarth are dinosaurs (no coincidence they both play for Hartley)
the league has moved on to goons that can play like Neil, Eakin :nod: and (even though i cant stand him) Lucic. Avs need to do the same...eventually.

Did you miss the gif I posted earlier?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
And honestly, after seeing how much Bordy improved his skating and skill level last year I would not be surprised to see him work on his PK ability.

What? His PK ability?

While he's sitting in the box, you want to see him to drink the water bottle with more conviction or something?

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
A million times this.

Well Bordeleau plays pretty well for an enforcer

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What? His PK ability?

While he's sitting in the box, you want to see him to drink the water bottle with more conviction or something?

Taking penalties was another area he improved upon. Much less wreckless than the year before.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
After the suspension McLeod was horrible, didn't play physical or do much of anything else for that matter, on the other hand, I thought Bordy was pretty solid last season, did his job and even chipped in a bit offensively (my only knock is that he didn't fight enough). I would prefer Bordy in the lineup over McLeod.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I will always love McLeod. He has just sacrificed so much for this organization. He is a true Av at heart.

Longest tenured Avalanche player now too. I will be legitimately pissed if we don't sign him to another deal next off-season.

Bordy was worse than useless when he was injured but when he could actually fight and play physical I liked him. I also loved him during the play-offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad