Speculation: Could we see a massacre this offesason with teams blowing it up trying to chase the Vegas method?

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
That would be a death sentence for those teams. The only reason it worked for LV, is that they were given those players. There was no competition going up against them for those players. It would've never worked under any other circumstance.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It'll be interesting to see how long they can ride this wave, because the problem with expansion teams has always been depth. Sure, you might get a flashy player here and there, and Vegas worked it wonderfully to get a roster that gelled at the NHL level, but after this year when these players have their bonuses come due and some tough decisions need to be made, how does the franchise handle going forward when they just don't really have the organizational depth from years and years of drafting to have a next man up mentality.

More than anything, I'm looking to see how they handle that. All things considered, this year was the easy one. Its the next few that will show the quality they really have in that front office. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have at least the Campbell Cup replica on display from here on out.
Except Vegas has Glass, Suzuki and Brandstrom from last years draft... a bunch of players in their 20,s i think they will be fine

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Vegas 'method' was hardly moneyball. The Knights capitalized on several GM's willing to use the expansion as an opportunity to purge salary commitments. The caveat was those commitments were tied to serviceable NHL players and when they weren't, they were attached to valuable future pieces.

If you're asking if teams are going to move in that direction, I've often asked why they hadn't prior to the expansion draft.

A prime example for me would be the Habs moving Andrew Shaw and Karl Alzner for Artem Anisimov and Brent Seabrook, assume all NMCs get waived. It's a lot of bad salary moving around but the Habs take the worst of the bunch in Seabrook and get a legitimate NHL center--their primary need--as a return.

Teams with larger payrolls should be willing to spend more money and assume higher risk. Vegas is reaping the benefits of that strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad