Could this team Canada take on an NHL team?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by soilwork2004, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. soilwork2004

soilwork2004 Registered User

proclaimed the best team of the WJs, could this team compete with an NHL team and which one?

2. Crosbyfan

Crosbyfan Registered User

Tampa :joker:

3. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

:lol: :lol :joker:

ANY NHL team, even the Pittsburgh Penguins, would not only take this team to school, but you could put together the U20 world all-star team, and they would get smashed too.

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

Actually, take a U20 world star team, let them play on a tour for a full month in Europe and against their peers and I think they can provide *decent* (not stellar) opposition to many NHL teams.

This is of course pure speculation on my part and the one month playing together is absolutely mandatory as far as I'm concerned. Forget it if you just assemble the team quickly and throw them to the wolves. But many of these guys could make the NHL this year and if you let them a month to get to know each others, you can probably provide decent competition to a NHL team.

I think they would be more talented than some NHL teams I have seen in recent years, and even the worse NHL teams DO get the odd win. Anyone wants to take a shot at assembling a world U20 lineup?

5. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

Oh, they'd certainly be one of the most talented, I just don't think they could compete given a big lack of experience with the pro grame. Under your hypothetical situation though (playing together for a good while), I can see it happening. But only against a really mediocre NHL team without good goaltending.

6. Sting

Sting Registered User

I disagree. I think this team would be able to take out several of the lesser NHL teams. They're more talented than most NHL teams...the only thing against them would be age/size.

7. Nielson81

Nielson81 Registered User

Home Page:
    This team would not be an NHL hockey club...even the Leafs! LOL just kidding Leafs fans.

8. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Pittsburgh would tool this team. They are great, but compared to juniors.

9. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Pittsburgh/Chicago/anyone would tool this team. They are great, but compared to juniors, not grown men.

10. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

The Penguins would make them look like...well...ummm...the...Penguins...

:cry:

I fully believe the Penguins would destroy them without much trouble.

11. Tricolore#20

Tricolore#20 PK PK PK

Home Page:
    Mario Lemieux would manhandle these guys :)

12. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

If Lemieux was in the game the result would probably be something like 10-0 Penguins.

13. Brent Burns Beard

Brent Burns Beard DontTouchMyDonskoi!

well, if many of htem are the size of Cam Barker or Jeremy Colliton, they should be start picking out their hospital beds. barker looked rail thin, but should keep in mind mono had an effect. still, looked like a kid in street clothes, not a professional level athlete. im sure he will put on the weight though, just saying right now, most those U20's are just not physically mature enough.

nhl'ers would crush the poor kids through the walls. can any of them fight ?

dr

14. gb701

gb701 Registered User

Home Page:
    Anyone doubting the huge gap that exists between junior and the pros has not been there. There is no question an NHL team would pick these guys apart, but that is not to say that there are not four or five of them ready to play at the next level - although not all of that four or five will see a regular shift yet. Overall, though - no doubt about the result.

15. saillias

saillias Registered User

The pros are just so much better. Way more boring, but the players are all undoubtedly MUCH better. These guys need to put on some muscle, and the NHL is very frustrating to a big group of kids to adjust to without a veteran presence. Maybe 3 of these guys will make the NHL next year- all likely with very small roles and little icetime.

16. Does this question need to be even asked?

Any NHL squad would mop up the ice with this jr. Team.

Remember, every player in the NHL is there for a reason that they simply are the best of the best, and a Jr. National team is full of players who arent even ready to show that they can even belong in the NHL (with the exception of a few players).

This is the same argument that a dominant NCAA College football team could beat a sad-sack NFL team, and it is the same answer in almost all cases.

No matter how great a Jr. World Championship team is, an NHL squad would smoke them, and even more, might even set back their development for decades....

17. BuppY

BuppY xGoodwillx

Home Page:
    They probably can put up a good fight against few NHL teams but give these guys few years they are going to be special.

18. MojoJojo

MojoJojo Registered User

Home Page:
    Theyre 19, not 12. Quite a few of these players would dominate in the AHL, and some of the worst NHL teams are practically AHL teams with one or two high draft picks manning the top line. I think they would do well. Keep this team intact, give them two or three years to mature and learn, they could contend for the cup.

19. cassius

cassius Registered User

Honestly. This thread is the epitome of homer glasses. Any average NHL blueliner would absolutely truck most of these junior players. Not to say that this team won't amount to anything.. but they still a couple years off from solid NHL players (most of them at least).

20. Tricolore#20

Tricolore#20 PK PK PK

Home Page:
    Which players here would dominate in the AHL? You are underestimating the ability of players in the AHL. Look at the current rookies in the AHL, and compare them to the veteran players. While guys like Parise and Vanek (high end junior players) are having fairly good seasons right now in the AHL, they are no way near dominating. Also, an NHL club, even the most mediocre is far better than an AHL club. There was a discussion a few months ago whether the Penguins could beat the AHL champions, and most people agreed that the Penguins would easily win.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  21. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

I doubt it, because there are a lot of players who won't adapt well to the NHL, certainly not to the point of being a Stanley Cup level team. And it would certainly take longer than 2 or 3 years. You think that Jeff Glass would mature more quickly than Roberto Luongo, Jose Theodore, or Kari Lehtonen.

22. Ratfinklives

Ratfinklives Registered User

Home Page:
    Honestly folks, while the team is good I agree with the overwhelming sentiment of "no way in hell".

Besides above all else, does anyone here really think Jeff Glass (or even Beauchemin for that matter) could step in the NHL and win a game? You know if they were playing an NHL team with that Junior defense in front of them they would see shots... no way they could handle it at this stage of their development.

23. sunb

sunb Registered User

Dion Phaneuf could possibly be a dominating AHL force. Mike Komisarek is a great example. Both big bruising defensemen who are strong and can deliver the big hit. Komisarek scored 30 points in 56 games in his first AHL season. Over 78 games, that is 42 points.

Phaneuf is a better skater, passer, shooter, hitter, defender and overall defenseman than Komisarek. There is no reason to believe he won't put up 42+ points and still play rock solid defense.

24. After more thinking, and by no means is this a negative towards Team Canada, but they would be hard pressed to even show up significantly against any of the AHL squads either.

Same could be said that Team Canada would have to really work hard to beat one of the ECHL teams out there.

The difference between pro hockey and a jr. Team (albeit an all-star team) is quite vast.

Remember, a good portion of these kids on Team Canada are slated for a few years of time in the ECHL and AHL before they can even begin to think about a sustained NHL career.

Now Team Belarus...there is a team with a future.

25. Captain Conservative

Captain Conservative Registered User

Just for my own pleasure, I made up my world U20 team(leaving out players who have little to no two way skills):

Ovechkin-Malkin-Bergeron
    Crosby-Carter-Getzlaf
    Eriksson-Olesz-Stewart
    Vrana-Fritsche-Ruzicka

extra:Stafford

Phaneuf-Weber
    Suter-Meszaros
    Coburn-Smid

Schwarz
    Montoya

I think, given Vlads set of rules, that this team could challenge the Caps(especially assuming Ovy plays for this team and not the Caps)

What changes would you guys make to this team?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.