Could this team Canada take on an NHL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mark Fischel said:
After more thinking, and by no means is this a negative towards Team Canada, but they would be hard pressed to even show up significantly against any of the AHL squads either.

Same could be said that Team Canada would have to really work hard to beat one of the ECHL teams out there.

The difference between pro hockey and a jr. Team (albeit an all-star team) is quite vast.

Remember, a good portion of these kids on Team Canada are slated for a few years of time in the ECHL and AHL before they can even begin to think about a sustained NHL career.

Now Team Belarus...there is a team with a future.
My thoughts exactly....I feel Team Canada with alot of work could have an exciting series with an ECHL team at the moment. The ECHL has players who burned the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL but couldn't quite make the next step.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Captain Conservative said:
Just for my own pleasure, I made up my world U20 team(leaving out players who have little to no two way skills):

Ovechkin-Malkin-Bergeron
Eriksson-Carter-Getzlaf
Vrana-Crosby-Stewart
Olesz-Fritsche-Ruzicka

extra:Stafford

Phaneuf-Weber
Suter-Meszaros
Coburn-Smid

Schwarz
Montoya

I think, given Vlads set of rules, that this team could challenge the Caps(especially assuming Ovy plays for this team and not the Caps)

What changes would you guys make to this team?
The top line could compete in any league offensivly but would be a defensive liability....after that it looks pretty bleak.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Jason MacIsaac said:
The top line could compete in any league offensivly but would be a defensive liability....after that it looks pretty bleak.

None of those 3 are defensive liablities. He said it himself, he purposely left out guys who were one way players. I don't know about Malkin and Ovechkin but Bergeron pked the entire tournament.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
saillias said:
None of those 3 are defensive liablities. He said it himself, he purposely left out guys who were one way players. I don't know about Malkin and Ovechkin but Bergeron pked the entire tournament.
They aren't against their own age group....vs a team like Tampa they would. Young players are allways liabilities.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Mark Fischel said:
After more thinking, and by no means is this a negative towards Team Canada, but they would be hard pressed to even show up significantly against any of the AHL squads either.

Same could be said that Team Canada would have to really work hard to beat one of the ECHL teams out there.

The difference between pro hockey and a jr. Team (albeit an all-star team) is quite vast.

Remember, a good portion of these kids on Team Canada are slated for a few years of time in the ECHL and AHL before they can even begin to think about a sustained NHL career.

Now Team Belarus...there is a team with a future.

ECHL? That is kind of unfair. I think they are definitely worthy of AHL competition.

A couple of members on Team Canada already have NHL-level talent. Bergeron has scored 39 points in the NHL and Phaneuf is probably the most ready prospect to make the NHL.
Carter, Getzlaf et al would also have made an impression in the NHL this year.
I mean, these kids are 19.5 years old, not 17 or 18 toothpicks. And albeit age and experience is a huge obstacle to overcome, 18 year old guys like Horton scored 22 points in around 50 games last year and a 19 year old Rick Nash scored 41 goals to lead the league in scoring.
Although no one on this team is as good as Rick Nash offensively but I think they are very talented.

Give Sutter more time to coach these kids (and maybe a better goalie like Schwartz) and I think they could compete in the AHL with a 0.500 record.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Jovanovski = Norris said:
ECHL? That is kind of unfair. I think they are definitely worthy of AHL competition.

A couple of members on Team Canada already have NHL-level talent. Bergeron has scored 39 points in the NHL and Phaneuf is probably the most ready prospect to make the NHL.
Carter, Getzlaf et al would also have made an impression in the NHL this year.
I mean, these kids are 19.5 years old, not 17 or 18 toothpicks. And albeit age and experience is a huge obstacle to overcome, 18 year old guys like Horton scored 22 points in around 50 games last year and a 19 year old Rick Nash scored 41 goals to lead the league in scoring.
Although no one on this team is as good as Rick Nash offensively but I think they are very talented.

Give Sutter more time to coach these kids (and maybe a better goalie like Schwartz) and I think they could compete in the AHL with a 0.500 record.

Of course I am talking about the regular AHL here not this year's talent-latent roster with guys like Spezza, Bouwmeester and Fleury bumming around.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hmm, while I'm basically a walking database on hockey, I have virtually no scouting abilities whatsoever, so I could hardly judge something like this. But... whats the next step up from Juniors? The best of each nation showed up to this tournament, and this year team Canada plain and simple outclassed the competition by a mile, they were in a whole other league. I mean, it was what, overall 46-7 or something for team Canada? That's gotta be a record for a major international tournament. Going on that logic, ok they probably wouldn't beat an NHL time. but I'd think they could take the next step up to the AHL and do well enough. Couldn't they? Assuming its the standard AHL, and not the lockout enhanced one.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I'd ice this:

Carter-Bergeron-Crosby: Bergeron is a proven NHLer. His chemistry with Crosby is satisfying enough. Carter on the wing is
going to be money. I have to break the Getzlaf/Ladd/Carter line but Carter is a mature player and will work well with those two.
All three of them could play in the NHL right now. This line is relatively safe, can play a two way game, can probably handle
some NHL grind.

Ovechkin-Malkin-Getzlaf: The risk line. The one that gives headaches to BOTH coaches. Will cost a lot of goals but could score
you many. All three ooze with natural ability. Malkin and Getzlaf are very big boys, Ovechkin has the body of a mature player. No
NHL experience but Ovechkin made an adult elite event that many NHLers can only dream about and did quite well. Getzlaf would have had
a NHL shot. Malkin I don't know. Very raw but his playmaking will be rewarded with those two.

Richards-Olesz-Fristche: This is a very smart line. Richards is fearless. Bobby Clarke knows as well as I do that Richards is an achiever.
He will succeed anywhere, NHL included. Clarke suggests both Carter and Richards had a chance at cracking the NHL this year. My eyes
tell me he is damn right about that. Fritsche is an experienced NHLer. Olesz is a smart player who also competes against men in a pro league.
If things get out of hand with my second line, I fall back on this one to regain a bit of composure. If my second line can't pull it off,
I break both lines and mix and match. I wish I had less centers but I love those guys too much.

Ladd-Shafigulin-Stewart: This line can handle the toughness of the NHL. Ladd's corner game is pretty much NHL-ready, and he quietly ended up high in scoring
in this tournament. Stewart can provide offense once in a while but what I ask of this line is mainly to set the tone and show kids
can handle the roughness and dish out some. Shafigulin is damn smart and perfect between those two. These three can and will keep a weak NHL team busy in
their zone.

Phaneuf-Weber: Quite a duo. They're not going to stop everything but I think they can do the job. Phaneuf's physical game is NHL-ready, much the same way
Ruutu was. Ruutu stepped right in the NHL and took names. Phaneuf can and WILL do he same.

Suter-Meszaros: I've seen the Habs go in the playoffs with a worse top four. Meszaros is another guy who has played with and against men in pro hockey.
He is an outstanding player as far as I'm concerned. Suter has AHL experience, a very smart defensemen. Both have quite a physical presence considering
their size and role. A fun, smart puck-moving duo that isn't one-dimensional. Suter needs to be in control if Meszaros goes a little wild with the rushes.

Belle-Smid: Belle is a better athlete right now than some NHLer ever will be. He is a specimen. But he is the weak link on this team regardless.
Smid plays a very pro-like game. Will do the job nicely here. Was is very smart, the other is gifted but raw as hell.

I'm not saying this lineup will win but I don't think it will be the blow out you guys expect. Any coach will tell you that right now, they are amazed at how
well conditioned those youngsters are. It's not a matter of underestimating the NHL or the pros to me, but rather to not underestimate the top quality available
here.

I wish I could have Staal, Burns, Horton, etc. for this team, though.

My team may or may not be to your liking. I can say that even some of the players that did not make it would probably have had a shot at making the NHL this year.
2003 was truly an outstanding crop. A lot of these guys are mature and would be top quality any other year but the draft was deep. Without the lockout, many on this team would be in the NHL.

Question mark could be goaltending. Shwarz, Montoya and Rask are my options. If my goaltending is hot, this team is good enough, on a good day, to win the odd game against NHLers. You need
a month of preparation against good competition and stellar coaching.

I love the leadership on my team. I can't complain in that respect. I love the physical game. Under the circumstances (U20 roster) I think the experience
level is decent. To say this game would get blown out by AHLers is doubtful to me. Malkin and Ovechkin are VERY solid RSL players. Bergeron is a solid NHL
scoring forward. My top 6 scoring can rival certain NHL teams. My grind line can make things difficult but could be shaky. I don't know if my third line can do
a lot of good but I do know they won't blow it for me. I think I have guys for a solid penalty kill. And I know some NHL teams cannot ice a powerplay that would
be HALF as effective as what I have on hand.

The big question is whether these guys can keep it under control. When they panic, they will get crushed like weak NHL teams. The Penguins, for instance.
And when they're on their games, just like the Pens, they will win a game here or there.

Experience with/against pros: Bergeron, Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Fritsche, Shafigulin, Suter, Meszaros, Smid. 50% of my forwards and 50% of my bluliners. Shwarz has some experience as well,
nothing glowing but I gotta go with what I have. My team can very, very much compete with a AHL team, IMO.

I'm not too sure about Belle, though. I think Coburn could fare much better. Forwards that didn't make it were numerous. Stafford, O'Sullivan, Vrana, etc. I might bump Stewart for Stafford.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
For what it's worth, Finland's 1983 age group played against the Mestis (2nd tier men's league in Finland) All Stars in late 2002. The All Stars won the game 3-2 despite Kari Lehtonen's strong play between the pipes. He kept the game close against a lineup that I'd call slightly below or just perhaps on par with the worst SM-liiga team.

But that Canadian team, not to mention the U20 World All Stars, is obviously better than our best ever age group. I'm sure they'd do well in the AHL.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Vlad The Impaler said:
I'd ice this:

Carter-Bergeron-Crosby: Bergeron is a proven NHLer. His chemistry with Crosby is satisfying enough. Carter on the wing is
going to be money. I have to break the Getzlaf/Ladd/Carter line but Carter is a mature player and will work well with those two.
All three of them could play in the NHL right now. This line is relatively safe, can play a two way game, can probably handle
some NHL grind.

Ovechkin-Malkin-Getzlaf: The risk line. The one that gives headaches to BOTH coaches. Will cost a lot of goals but could score
you many. All three ooze with natural ability. Malkin and Getzlaf are very big boys, Ovechkin has the body of a mature player. No
NHL experience but Ovechkin made an adult elite event that many NHLers can only dream about and did quite well. Getzlaf would have had
a NHL shot. Malkin I don't know. Very raw but his playmaking will be rewarded with those two.

Richards-Olesz-Fristche: This is a very smart line. Richards is fearless. Bobby Clarke knows as well as I do that Richards is an achiever.
He will succeed anywhere, NHL included. Clarke suggests both Carter and Richards had a chance at cracking the NHL this year. My eyes
tell me he is damn right about that. Fritsche is an experienced NHLer. Olesz is a smart player who also competes against men in a pro league.
If things get out of hand with my second line, I fall back on this one to regain a bit of composure. If my second line can't pull it off,
I break both lines and mix and match. I wish I had less centers but I love those guys too much.

Ladd-Shafigulin-Stewart: This line can handle the toughness of the NHL. Ladd's corner game is pretty much NHL-ready, and he quietly ended up high in scoring
in this tournament. Stewart can provide offense once in a while but what I ask of this line is mainly to set the tone and show kids
can handle the roughness and dish out some. Shafigulin is damn smart and perfect between those two. These three can and will keep a weak NHL team busy in
their zone.

Phaneuf-Weber: Quite a duo. They're not going to stop everything but I think they can do the job. Phaneuf's physical game is NHL-ready, much the same way
Ruutu was. Ruutu stepped right in the NHL and took names. Phaneuf can and WILL do he same.

Suter-Meszaros: I've seen the Habs go in the playoffs with a worse top four. Meszaros is another guy who has played with and against men in pro hockey.
He is an outstanding player as far as I'm concerned. Suter has AHL experience, a very smart defensemen. Both have quite a physical presence considering
their size and role. A fun, smart puck-moving duo that isn't one-dimensional. Suter needs to be in control if Meszaros goes a little wild with the rushes.

Belle-Smid: Belle is a better athlete right now than some NHLer ever will be. He is a specimen. But he is the weak link on this team regardless.
Smid plays a very pro-like game. Will do the job nicely here. Was is very smart, the other is gifted but raw as hell.

I'm not saying this lineup will win but I don't think it will be the blow out you guys expect. Any coach will tell you that right now, they are amazed at how
well conditioned those youngsters are. It's not a matter of underestimating the NHL or the pros to me, but rather to not underestimate the top quality available
here.

I wish I could have Staal, Burns, Horton, etc. for this team, though.

My team may or may not be to your liking. I can say that even some of the players that did not make it would probably have had a shot at making the NHL this year.
2003 was truly an outstanding crop. A lot of these guys are mature and would be top quality any other year but the draft was deep. Without the lockout, many on this team would be in the NHL.

Question mark could be goaltending. Shwarz, Montoya and Rask are my options. If my goaltending is hot, this team is good enough, on a good day, to win the odd game against NHLers. You need
a month of preparation against good competition and stellar coaching.

I love the leadership on my team. I can't complain in that respect. I love the physical game. Under the circumstances (U20 roster) I think the experience
level is decent. To say this game would get blown out by AHLers is doubtful to me. Malkin and Ovechkin are VERY solid RSL players. Bergeron is a solid NHL
scoring forward. My top 6 scoring can rival certain NHL teams. My grind line can make things difficult but could be shaky. I don't know if my third line can do
a lot of good but I do know they won't blow it for me. I think I have guys for a solid penalty kill. And I know some NHL teams cannot ice a powerplay that would
be HALF as effective as what I have on hand.

The big question is whether these guys can keep it under control. When they panic, they will get crushed like weak NHL teams. The Penguins, for instance.
And when they're on their games, just like the Pens, they will win a game here or there.

Experience with/against pros: Bergeron, Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Fritsche, Shafigulin, Suter, Meszaros, Smid. 50% of my forwards and 50% of my bluliners. Shwarz has some experience as well,
nothing glowing but I gotta go with what I have. My team can very, very much compete with a AHL team, IMO.

I'm not too sure about Belle, though. I think Coburn could fare much better. Forwards that didn't make it were numerous. Stafford, O'Sullivan, Vrana, etc. I might bump Stewart for Stafford.

That's an impressive group. If well coached they would give a good AHL team a good game. With a hot goalie they could win a 7 game series. All IMO of course!

Any room for MacArthur?

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
I think Phaneuf is probably at the same level as Bouwmester was when he was a rookie. And, Phaneuf is the best defenseman in the tournament. So, that should show you how strong the defense is. They could survive in the league, but would still have trouble and make a lot of little mistakes.

Patrice Bergeron had 16 goals and 40 points last year and he is arguably the best player in the world tournament. So, the team would not have a 20 goal scorer.

I think the biggest problem would be in goal. A goalie usually takes a few years to mature a bit. There's a huge difference between juniors and NHL players. The passes are quicker, skaters are faster and shots are harder. The goalie would get tired quickly and could not play 60 games, and would probably get injured quite a bit. So, you would need 3,4 or 5 goalies.

Having said that, I think they could compete with the worse teams. They would be a last place team, but not by far and they would get better as the season went by. And, by the end of the year, I think they could easily compete against the bottom 5 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad