Could this be the end for Rask? (out until at least January)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Goalies of Rask's calibre have shown to age well. There's no reason to think he couldn't still be one of the better goalies in the league for another 2 or so years. Minnesota could use a Rask.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
No.
I am quite sure he makes 2-3 year contract that is team friendly and has full trade ban.

Boston get easy transition to future goaltender. (ofcor9se there is also possibility that they cant find anyone as good as Rask and prospects dont develop as hopes)

Reactions: DBL84

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
It seems likely he signs a 1 year, short money deal with Boston and gets paid to rehab. I’d guess the bruins sign a Reimer/Rittich type to tandem with swayman with vladar in Rhode Island to hold down the fort until tuukka gets healthy.

Reactions: jetsforever

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I've said all year long he was retiring after this year and it looks even more likely now. Rask has never striked me as the type that wants to play forever. With all the injuries and the family scare last year even more so.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Players usually say they don’t want to play for another team until they don’t get an offer. Then they are open for anything.

Rask played well this year despite being injured so all teams without a solid starter should be interested.

True, although those players usually don't say 'if I don't get my first choice, I happen to own a team in Finland that I would like to play for'

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If it is, and Taylor Hall signs with the Bruins, they're probably going to win the lottery.

All jokes aside, I think Rask has hockey left in him and if he plays anywhere other than Boston I see him playing in Finland. But Boston will need another goalie in the up and coming season.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Bruins' priority should be keeping Krejci or signing another centre of that approximate skill level.

Overspending on goalies is the worst thing a team can do. It's an absolute waste of money, especially when your pipeline is this strong.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Going to be interesting here in Boston.
Swayman has a ton of potential but only a dozen games under his belt. He still has some growing to do in his game.
I like him alot though since his college days.
Vlader also a rookie needs to pass waivers to be sent to AHL. Odds are a team would grab .

As stated Rask wouldnt be back until Jan/Feb..

The Bruins have some experience with goalies having labrum surgery. Thomas had this surgery in 2010 and 2011 worked out pretty good.

If Rask is willing to sign a team favorable say 2 year deal I can see the Bruins doing it.
The question then is who does Swayman partner with until then?

Damned if I know.

Reactions: Alicat

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
My guess is they sign Rask to a 1-2 year deal, he'll start the year on LTIR.

They'll sign another goalie to a one year deal to platoon with Swagman for the first few months of the season, whether that's a Halak, Raantta, Bernier etc. Then they'll decide what they're doing when Rask is ready to come back.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Tuukka Rask, the EBUG we all expected, right?

I don't think he's suiting up for a game (yet), just practice for now

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Bringing Rask back would seem like an awkward situation considering Ullmark has a big contract with a NMC and Swayman has been better. I guess the path of least resistance would be demoting Swayman but his play would suggest he should be in the NHL and that would be a tough pill to swallow for him.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I only hope he doesn't come back and absolutely bomb. I hate when star players are off for extended time towards the end, and then make a come back that derails a bit of their legacy.

Also it's crazy how lucky the bruins have been with goalies that it's a non issue if he comes back at this point.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Such an odd and somewhat sad case of unrequited love. Rask desperately wants to come back and play for the Bruins, but they have moved on. They have their goalie of the future in Swayman, and they have committed long term to Ullmark in the role of veteran mentor that Rask seem to have wanted. So awkward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad