Could the Tri-Cities (Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge) support an NHL team?

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Absolutely, the KW market could easily support a franchise. Hockey fever remains consistently high, the new tri-city LRT would facilitate quick patron flow, and a well placed venue would allow for easy draw from a massive 45-min-drive surrounding fanbase. There is more than enough money in the area, both in terms of ticket buyers and ownership.

Like Hamilton, it's only the uninformed/biased who would doubt market viability. The numbers speak for themselves. Either location could easily support an NHL franchise and KW has the added benefit of being outside of both Leafs and Sabres territory, thus avoiding messiness.

But as others have indicated, the league is not likely attracted to the area ... right now. I suspect though that once Jacobs dies, these locations will begin to hit the table for legitimate consideration.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Absolutely, the KW market could easily support a franchise. Hockey fever remains consistently high, the new tri-city LRT would facilitate quick patron flow, and a well placed venue would allow for easy draw from a massive 45-min-drive surrounding fanbase. There is more than enough money in the area, both in terms of ticket buyers and ownership.

Like Hamilton, it's only the uninformed/biased who would doubt market viability. The numbers speak for themselves. Either location could easily support an NHL franchise and KW has the added benefit of being outside of both Leafs and Sabres territory, thus avoiding messiness.

But as others have indicated, the league is not likely attracted to the area ... right now. I suspect though that once Jacobs dies, these locations will begin to hit the table for legitimate consideration.

I hope not. Too many Canadian teams now and I certainly don't want to see Southern Ontario cluttered with teams other than the Leafs. And while a small part of me would enjoy having the NHL in town - overall, I see no need for it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
For 99% of this board when you post Tri-cities---we will think you are talking about Washington state--which is getting a team at some point in time

so which Tri-cities are you talking about

if you google tri-cities---washington state comes up
Interesting
When I Google it, tri cities Ontario came up.
Must be location based.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Again, since we are talking purely hypotheticals, you don't really need the Toronto suburbs. The region alone has 540k people. Add in Guelph and its surrounding areas and you are already close to the size of Winnipeg with as substantially higher household income level at about $90K on average. Then add in Hamilton and you are at 1.5M which would put you over the size of Edmonton's and Calgary's metro populations.

You could add London to that, as well.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Is Rogers and Bell willing to spend $1 billion on a team and $1 billion on a new arena to have another team in Toronto/Hamilton?

So far the answer has been no.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The cities have been tossed out before as possible NHL teams. Never say never but I don't know if it would get a NHL team ahead of Hamilton, Saskatoon or Quebec City.

Considering Saskatoon has 250k people I’d say it’s far far far more likely than Saskatoon.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Locally, people are more likely to refer to the area as Waterloo Region or Region of Waterloo (both short forms of Regional Municipality of Waterloo). If the Harris government's policies had continued, the area probably would have been amalgamated like Toronto, Ottawa, and Hamilton. However, Waterloo Region was a lower priority because regional government was working better here.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If Ontario is getting another team, it's going to be Hamilton. And even that isn't likely at the moment.

Hamilton would be the front runner because it has an arena that could be updated to NHL standards for about 150-200M. I'm not sure how long it will be before building a new stadium is roughly the same price as updating First Ontario Centre.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Locally, people are more likely to refer to the area as Waterloo Region or Region of Waterloo (both short forms of Regional Municipality of Waterloo). If the Harris government's policies had continued, the area probably would have been amalgamated like Toronto, Ottawa, and Hamilton. However, Waterloo Region was a lower priority because regional government was working better here.

Yeah, when I saw this thread I wondered if things had changed because when I used to go to school there, people never referred to it as 'the tri-cities'. It was usually just KW (sorry Cambridge) or Waterloo Region. It's certainly grown a lot but I think it's unlikely to host an NHL franchise, but could help support one in Hamilton if that were ever to come to be.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Absolutely but they would not be playing out of the Tri City area but would be part of a regional team based in Hamilton in a renovated FirstOntario Center or a new arena in Hamilton or in one of it's many suburbs such as Flambrough , Waterdown or Ancaster for example .

My prediction is a regional NHL. team for Southern Ontario in the Hamilton area will happen by 2030 .

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think KWC is a better market than Hamilton. All 3 cities are growing and Guelph is too, which is only 15 minutes down the road.

Waterloo Region is well maintained and already has a decent and expanding public transportation, although traveling to it from elsewhere can really only be done by car.

It's also outside the 50 mile radius of both Toronto and Buffalo. Hamilton is not.

Can't see it happening at all, but it's definitely a good location.

Last edited:

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Ottawa can't support their NHL team so yes let's try an even smaller Canadian market. :rolleyes:
By that logic neither can Florida, Arizona, Colorado and Carolina, New Jersey and the Islanders.

That's just based on attendance, ignoring revenue, which is the most important thing at the end of the day.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Ottawa has almost zero corporate support. The government cant buy tickets.

but that's not the narrative being put out here by many posters. People have been saying that any Canadian market can support an NHL franchise. This is why we see nonsense such as Halifax or Saskatoon or Regina or wherever being thrown out. Ottawa is proving this wrong with every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad