Could the NHL ever have contracts that were a minimum value + % of the cap?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I thought NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. At least that's what my buddy kept telling me. Did that change? (As in, they can just break the contract part way through and no longer have to pay the player)

As for the % of the cap hit contracts, aren't those technically possible already? For instance you build bonuses into your contract that the player potentially earns based on projections on where the cap is. The cap hit has to be fixed, but if you don't "earn" the cap tier bonus because of an unforeseen flat cap... does that mean the salary cap hit is lowered in later years?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Yeah. You are saying a bunch of words but saying nothing on how they would go about figuring out the percentage of cap a certain player would actually get or any type of formula for it all.

Every contract in the league can already be converted into a % of the cap.

Just divide a players current cap hit by the total cap.

Let's take McDavid for example.

Saying "he makes 12.5mil out of 81.5 cap" is the same as "he makes ~15.34% of the current cap". So there's your benchmark for the new system.

That tweener middle sixer (lets say someone like Bonino), who got 4 mil and 5 years in UFA is just going to get 5% of the cap, as that's (more or less) the same amount of money.

The market prices have already been set, and converting them to a % isn't hard. The big issue would be teams that signed big contracts, hoping they would look better vs. a higher cap in the future (Looking mainly at you, TML), as they would get screwed.

Plus it's already a bit of an argument people have made. One of the main points justifying McDavid's 12.5 cap hit back in 2017 was that it was in the same ballpark vs. the cap as Crosby's first big contract. (Which Capfriendly so nicely points out were 16.7% and 17.3% of the cap when the two deals were signed).

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Insane, right? the last tweet I saw was 400 million as a minimum, so 40m/year. Then you add the % of cap, which some think will add around 15 million this year (and will go up as the cap goes up).

Just a crazy contract.

Just a little reminder how small the NHL is in comparison, where McDavid makes 12.5...
If ypumlook at the average NHL/NFL player they're only separated by just over 600k.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
If ypumlook at the average NHL/NFL player they're only separated by just over 600k.

Yep. This is in part because NFL rosters are much bigger so they have a lot more minimum salary guys, and really only a few guys per team are making ridiculous money.

minimum salary in the NFL is 610k versus 700k for the nhl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad